1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Installing an Electrosocket

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dan C, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

About to buy an Electro socket so my darn right angle cables work!

Just kinda anxious as to how I remove the vintage jack cup? Could one of you guys give me a step by step thing or, if I have missed it, point me to a previous thread detailing every thing electrosocket!

Probably sounds really easy to most of you but my its only tele as it stands and I haven't taken it apart yet!

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Be very, very careful removing the old socket. I tried it with my Baja when the stock cup started to become loose, and the 'claws' which jam the thing into the rout ripped a couple of chunks of finish right around the top of the rout, which the Electrosocket I'd planned to replace it with wouldn't cover. I ended up using a Les Paul-type jack plate which, frankly, I think all Teles should come fitted with.

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Dan, don't worry too much about the electrosocket install, it's a breeze!

Even for a guy with very little skills in that respect. If you can solder & screw, you can do it in about 20 minutes.

I did it last weekend on my road worn Tele and worked like a charm...

EDIT: except for things like the post above, just be careful when removing the old stuff... mine came out with ease.

4. mobaar

mobaar Tele-Meister

Also a forewarning -- not all right angle cables are created equal. If they don't have enough clearance, an Electrosocket will not solve the problem. This is from firsthand experience. Have you put the jack and socket together and tried to plug the right angle cable in?

Installation is a snap. If you have basic soldering experience it's a piece of cake, but as mentioned before, the claws in the original jack could scrape the wood and/or finish, if you're not careful.

~Mo

5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Tele-Meister

I'm a complete novice at anything repair-related, but I managed to install an electrosocket with the help of a friend with a soldering iron. Easy job, and I had no issues with the claws at all.

6. Guitarmadcat

Guitarmadcat Banned

'Ang on-'ang on - what's all this about soldering???

Simply remove the nut, pull off the cup. With snipe-nose pliers - remove the retaining clip. You then just have the socket hanging off the two wires. Screw the Electrosocket onto the jack, fit into hole, screw into body with the two provided woodscrews. Simple! (You can adjust how much thread needs to protrude to accommodate your angled plug before you screw it to the body)

Stop scaring this guy with talk of "soldering"! :lol:

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

That should work IF his socket has the same threads as the jack.

8. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

+1

9. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

+1, also!

10. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

I use Fender Tonemaster cables. The right angle fits a Telecaster and the top of a tweed amp from the front.

I've never had a problem with Tele output jacks, and I've been playing Teles since 1975.

11. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

So,
    Unscrew the nut
    Carefully pull the jack cup out...
    Then the clip thing that hold the cup in
    Screw the jack in to the electrosocket providing the threads are the same!
    Fit electrosocket and the screw it in.

Did I get it all?

Also it is a Mexican tele... Any thread discrepancies I should take note of? Imperial or metric... Hmmm

12. mobaar

mobaar Tele-Meister

Pretty sure it's metric/import, but don't quote me on it...

~Mo

13. AlexCarlson

AlexCarlson Tele-Meister

Oh, good point here. I hadn't thought about right angle cable clearance, and that's my cable of choice. Do stock Tele jack cups generally recess the jack too far for right angle cables?

I'm building a partscaster right now and was about to pull the trigger on a stock jack, so this is quite a timely thread to stumble upon.

14. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

I'd just add, if the clip/backplate doesn't fall out, you can avoid Andrew Gs situation by pushing one side of the clip into the guitar with a screwdriver enough for it not to grip any more, then it'll fall out easily. No gouges around the socket hole. If you ever decide to put the original type of socket/clip back, get the tool from Stewmac to do it, its almost impossible without it. Electrosocket is sooo.. much better.

15. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Electrosockets are threaded to accept 3/8 x 32 TPI (threads per inch) jacks, ie: standard American/imperial threaded Switchcraft jacks. a Mexican Tele jack may or may not have metric threads, depending on what they were using when it came off the line. however, Switchcraft 1/4" jacks are super-easy to find, both online and at many local music and electronics stores, and they're only about $3 or so. if your jack doesn't screw into the Electrosocket cup properly (you'll know right away if the threads match or not), it's worth spending a few extra bucks to buy and install a Switchcraft jack: they tend to last MUCH longer than the cheaper no-name imported jacks, and they also seem to stay "tighter" as well (meaning that your cable is held firmly in the jack rather than being wobbly.)

i'm not saying that "cheap" jacks aren't usable, because they certainly are, but a Switchcraft jack is a worthwhile inexpensive upgrade, so don't look at it as an annoyance if you have to get one.

you didn't say if you'd bought your Electrosocket yet, but if you're going to order one, many online dealers offer an Electrosocket/Switchcraft package for just a buck or two extra, and i'd highly recommend that. otherwise, if you're buying it at a local shop, ask them if they'll give you a deal if you buy the socket and jack at the same time: chances are, if a local shop carries guitar parts (especially fairly unique things like Electrosockets), they also carry Switchcraft parts too, because they're so ubiquitous and widely used. Switchcraft and Neutrik are probably THE two most famous suppliers of plugs and jacks used in the music industry, and it shouldn't be any trouble to get them no matter what country you're in.

16. Hotrodders

Hotrodders Tele-Meister

+1

17. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

except you're missing the point that Electrosockets have an American/imperial thread, and his output jack might not have the same threads, in which case it won't work without a new jack and a little soldering.

18. creationcollect

creationcollect TDPRI Member

Are you saying it is not necessary to screw the jack into the electro socket all the way?

If I do, I can't reach the install screws.

19. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

use some washers in between the jack and socket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.