Installing American Standard Tele bridge pickup, no baseplate. Help needed

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by igorBG, Sep 21, 2020.

1. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

Hey guys
    I am putting original pickups back into my American Standard Tele 1995. Its been a while so I have forgotten what was original wiring. I am writing about bridge pickup only. So pickup has no baseplate, and there is this metal connector attached to the pickup black wire and one extra piece of wire attached to the connector. Also there is metal screw at the bottom of the pickup pocket, and there is a small channel on the side of pocket which exits near the 1st and 2nd string holes (extra hole seen in the photo). Here is what I intend to do: metal connector goes to the bottom, below screw, and extra black wire goes through this channel and exits near the 1st, 2nd string holes, where is should be pressed by bridge plate? Am I doing this right?
    Photo attached tele wiring plan.jpg
    Thanks

2. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

The black wire goes through the hole and makes contact with the bridge, yes

3. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

Great! Thanks a lot

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, hold on. why is the yellow (hot lead) wire going into one of the bridge mounting screw holes instead of through the channel to the control cavity?

But yes the green arrow shows where the wire would normally go - all it needs to do is show enough bare wire to get mashed between the lacquer and the bottom of the bridge plate. The screw is supposed to provide a connection for the shielding paint for the back of the pickup cavity, it's not essential but it's there so take advantage of it.

Henley likes this.
  5. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

igorBG likes this.
  6. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

Haha, I saw yellow wire position on photo too, but it was too late to take another one. It simply went right into 1st string hole by accident.
    But you can call it Igor's wiring if you like :)

Wallaby and Henley like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking.. yellow hot to switch... black to pot back direct,,, another 3rd wire through the hole to ground the bridge plate connected to the ground tab on the body...

the black pu coil wire jammed loosely under the bridge plate would be wrong and not a solid connection...

8. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I swapped my American Standard recently - I seem to recall the black wire was connected to the ground lug that was screwed into the body in the bridge pickup body cavity. Wires from the bridge and the control plate joined at this point as well to ground everything together.

9. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

I did the wiring, black wire below bridge, metal lug screwed to the bottom..., and it works ok. It's grounded/shielded better than stock AV Strat that I have.

10. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

B29E5DB8-7892-47A3-8AC6-3571FB71EBE5.jpeg ...so this brings up a great question. I just replaced the American Standard bridge for an American Professional bridge (highly recommend this mod). I did not see a ground wire to the bridge. Is this because there is a copper plate on the bottom of the bridge pickup, so a ground wire is not necessary?

11. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

I think yes. Copper plate is grounded via screws to the bridge.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  12. Vizcaster

Yes so long as there's a jumper connecting the wire from the black eyelet to the metal base plate, then your ground connection for the bridge plate is taken care of.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  13. Vizcaster

I think you'd better tell Leo's people they've been doing it wrong.

(just breaking chops - I never do it that way with the bare wire between the bridge plate and the paint)

Ironically enough the factory also uses a method that is certainly NOT a solid connection: using one of those solder lugs around the pickup mounting screw, but held against the bridge plate only by the pressure of the surgical tubing. On the last highway one tele i worked on, the tubing dried out, sagged, and the connection for the string ground was lost.

14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

There should be a couple of screws installed at the bottom of the plastic bobbin.

These are Fender's answer to a copper plate installed on the vintage models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.