Installing A B/G Bender In A '68 Paisley - Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by tonytrout, Sep 22, 2021.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Since I don't have the guitar yet (still), I haven't fully made up my mind whether to keep it stock or install a set of B/G benders in it, change the stock pickups to Gatton-period Barden pickups (those were given to me as well - and I still have them).

I'll definitely let y'all know what I decide whenever he goes and gets the guitar & brings it to me and then puts it and the case in my hands. He told a friend at the funeral home during my aunt's visitation that "I'll give him the guitar when I get ready to"....and I'm holding him to the promise he made to my late aunt (letting me have the '68 paisley) and him giving me the guitar when he's ready so.....we'll see. February 12, 2022 will be the two-year anniversary of her unexpected passing (I say "unexpected" because the doctors were going to let her come home with in-home health care and then she unexpectedly passed away on February 12, 2020).

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

From my post: "So long as you appreciate the fact that the 'collector' value takes a big hit, do what you like."

It's his guitar. He has a decision to make. The choice he makes will be his own. Telling him he's wrong one way or the other is just...wrong.

Notice that I didn't advise the OP to artificially drive up value of pristine examples by modifying the guitar, I simply pointed out a fact. How many B17s are in still in flying condition? The few that are--they're extremely valuable.

I wouldn't want to be a member of a message board that would ban me for making a factual statement anyway.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I guess the 1st thing to learn is, what is the actual value of this particular guitar and is it truly 100 % original vintage ? If this is indeed a 10 grand guitar, NO, do not add the Bender.

In my days, I purchased several Strats that were said to be 100% pure, 54s, 56's and a Black 58. The only one that was pure was the 58 because it came with the receipt and special BLACK order paperwork . I bought it from the original owner. The others were ALMOST original but not 100%. Different PUPS and pickguard was typical. The values were still moderately high but not the MAX high.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Answering the question in the title…

Personally, the last thing I’d do with a ‘68 or an heirloom is have someone take a router to it. I would regret it down the line. That particular guitar is actually one you can call an investment I reckon.

It’s an expensive mod in terms of value in assets. Considering that, for maybe less than the hit on the value, I’d find a player-grade late-60’s Tele that’s already had a refin and some serious mods and mod that to my spec. If I didn’t have the cash to do that, I would think twice before eating into the resale value, because I may just need it one day.

But I think how sacred these sorts of things are, and how much the value matters, are a matter of personal perspective.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. tonytrout

It is, indeed, an honest-to-God, '68 paisley. It was verified by the local guitar shop/music shop owner when my cousin first bought the guitar. And...here's probably the most important part for me...it's very likely the only Fender '68 paisley that I'll ever own in my life because I don't have $15,000-$20,000 to purchase one on my own because I am disabled and live on a fixed income and my gigging days are over with due to my health has taken a downturn. So....this guitar will be a definite keeper once I get my hands on it...and I definitely will not be selling the **** guitar in any way at any time when it is finally in my possession. I made that big mistake once when I sold my beloved '96 RI paisley to a fellow TDPRI member (who shall remain nameless) and I'm not going to be fooled into doing it again.

(I'm beginning to wish that I'd never started this thread since I knew in the back of my mind that I was opening a can 'o worms regarding the vintage-ness of the guitar and wanting a set of B/G benders installed in it.....)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Nishplayer and T Prior like this.
  6. T Prior

Nahh, its a good thread and many comments are reminders for each of us. . Good to hear that its a verified pristine original . :)

Grab it and enjoy it ! :)

Matt G and Nishplayer like this.
  7. tonytrout

I'll grab it and enjoy it whenever he gives me the damn thing!!! :mad: February 12, 2022 will be two years since her passing and I still have not received the guitar. At my late aunt's visitation when I was out of earshot, he told someone he knows that "I'll give him the guitar when I'm good and ready". Tell me this: Since my aunt made him promise her that he would give me the guitar if something were to happen to her, then he was supposed to have already given me the guitar at her visitation? Or, if not then, at the earliest he could get the time off of work to get it out of storage?

8. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Nay

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Here's an idea - because of the value, have copy custom made and aged. A good builder will clone the neck profile, match the weight, age it carefully and make an exact copy. Custom builders do this all the time, making "59 Les Pauls" (even Gibson is doing it, copying specific instruments); the shop I do some work with has made specific "clones"Nacho makes his "blackguards" and has cloned specific guitars. ALL legit builders and refinishers add small "tells" so they can't be inspected and certified by anyone as originals. I do it with all my relic jobs.

You'll spend $6-8,000 (roughly) - but that's about what you'd lose in value by installing a bender in an original, and you wouldn't be hacking a vintage instrument.

10. tonytrout

That's a great idea but...I don't have that much money to throw around so....I've decided to just change the pickups and put in the original Barden set that someone gave me a long time ago and leave the guitar alone.

11. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

How far does he have to travel to this storage unit? Maybe offer him $100 for gas and his time, plus a free lunch somewhere. It would be worth it to FINALLY get your guitar.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Does your cousin know that you want to install a B/G bender in that '68 paisley Tele? Could be that's why he's dragging his feet to give you the guitar.

There's a few used reissues out there. I found one for 15 bones (see link below).

https://reverb.com/item/44905266-fender-telecaster-pink-paisley

13. tonytrout

The storage unit is in Knoxville, TN (why he didn't bring the stuff that's in storage with him when he moved back to NC is one of those "your guess is as good as mine" answers - and the drive is about three-and-a-half hours from where he's at. Plus, he's apparently extremely busy with his job (that's the excuse I get most often when I ask him).

No, he doesn't know that I want (or wanted) to have B/G benders installed on the guitar. The main reason I wanted a set of B/G benders again so bad is because of my absolute and total stupidity of selling my beloved '96 RI paisley a few years ago. That guitar was basically bought for me by my parents as a Christmas present and I promised them both that I would never sell it. I was actually under the influence of Percocet (from then-recent foot surgery) when I made the deal to sell the guitar.

All of that being said, it will be fun to actually play a guitar that doesn't have any type of bender system installed on it.

Maguchi likes this.
  14. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

You might want to start asking a lawyer his or her opinion about this situation. It sounds to me like you’re not getting the guitar. I wouldn’t be surprised if you hear, “Oops, I sold it,” from him.

15. T Prior

Such a sad situation, but extremely common if things are not written down or Willed. Maybe a little trickery is required, ask him flat out if he intends to honor your late Aunts request, which he obviously knows was made. RECORD IT .

Or, move on and let it be. 2 years will quickly turn into 3 or 4 or 5 and then consume you.

greenhornet likes this.
  16. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

Yes, reading this, that's what I'm thinking also. Especially without anything being in writing, evidently.

17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

As well having a George Castanza-like monologue about the chances of your cousin ever giving you this guitar running in my head, I’m also confused by the following:

So, it’s his guitar?

Pax/
    Dean

18. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

He probably will never give it to you, dying wishes or not, because he probably thinks you might sell it anyway. Lie to me once shame on you, Lie to me twice shame on me.

What's the whole story on the guitar? Where did it come from, how long's it been in the family, how close are you to your cousin. You might as well chronicle the whole thing, as the can is already open. The story is way more interesting and intriguing than the original question, which is obviously "No" anyhow.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  19. tonytrout

20. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I woundn't do any kind of modification to a vintage Paisley. Plenty of goood low-value guitars to mod tp your hearts content

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.