Installing A B/G Bender In A '68 Paisley - Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by tonytrout, Sep 22, 2021.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Whenever my cousin ever decides to hand over that much-wanted '68 paisley, I'm debating on having another set of B/G benders installed but...I don't know whether I want a Parsons/White (the type I'm most "used to"), an Evans, Glaser or McVay?? Either way, it's gonna take me about a year to come up with the money for a bender install no matter who I choose.

But, I'm coming to you guys for advice....what do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Tony T.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

The only bender I personally would ever get would be a Glaser, but I doubt Joe would agree to install a bender in a 68 paisley. Seems like he will not install benders on valuable vintage guitars. You call him and ask.

Maguchi and nojazzhere like this.
  3. tonytrout

Joe installed one of his benders on Brad Paisley's beloved "Ol' Pink" before Brad became the superstar he is. The only problem I have with Glaser is the price & the "turnaround" time...

As much as I hate to do it, I may just go with a Parsons/White B/G bender.....then again, I may change my mind and not do a single thing to the guitar except change the pickups and put in a set of Gatton-version, Barden pickups.

4. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

Joe’s turn around time is about a day. Seriously, he can now install a bender in an hour. As far as Joe installing a bender in Brad’s 68, well, he’s Brad Paisley.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It's your guitar, but I wouldn't do it. You'd pretty much kill your resale value.

- D

Skyhook, Matt G, Fretting out and 5 others like this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nahhh...

Maguchi and Teleguy61 like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I’d let that ‘68 paisley just be itself and buy/install a bender in something else.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

OmegaWoods, Maguchi and 985plowboy like this.
  9. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

The bender goes into a re-issue paisley.

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

If installing a premium B/G pull system allows you to PLAY the guitar more than not, do it. Since joining the "B" pull society, full time, 3 years ago, I haven't brought a non Bender to a gig and barely even pick up one of my NON Bender guitars. as much as I like them.

Bender players are not "NON Bender " players anymore. They are not the same instruments. Everything we do, everything we play, every position we play out of , has some sort of " Pull or Release " in mind. Whether we add a PULL or Release is irrelevant, its the ability to create that matters. "Uhmm, what if I do it this way....."

IF you purchase the 68 for collector value , then sure leave it be. Watch it gather dust !

But if you purchase it to PLAY IT regularly with a Bender system, then by all means, install the system of choice.

tonytrout, 244300 and Nishplayer like this.
  11. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

12. tonytrout

The aforementioned guitar (the '68 paisley) is the same guitar that I mentioned to TDPRI'ers about two years ago when an aunt passed away - but before she unexpectedly passed away, she made her nephew promise to GIVE me the '68 paisley and not pay a dime for it (he's my cousin by her marriage to his uncle - I know that sounded and reads a tad complicated). He has promised to give me the guitar when he can get time off of his job to go and get it out of storage. I've offered to go and get it - since it's mine anyway, now that my aunt has passed - but he won't let me go to Knoxville, TN to get it out of his storage compartment (I don't know why).

However, I definitely will play the guitar a ton even if I don't install a bender because the '68 paisley has been my dream guitar ever since I first saw James Burton play his '69 paisley with Elvis Presley.

I'm just really, really going back and forth in my thoughts about whether or not to have another set of B/G benders put in it since - like the dumb$$ that I can be and sometimes am - I sold my beloved '96 RI paisley guitar to another fellow TDPRI'er who, in turn, sold it to "Guitars: The Museum" in Umea, Sweden where it still resides today. I've tried and tried and tried to persuade them to let me have the guitar back - but they won't budge.

I'll shut up and just say that I'll keep y'all posted (pun slightly intended) on when I'm given the guitar and what my decision is regarding having a set of B/G benders (and what type) in the guitar.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  13. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Nah. Put it in a re-issue.

I don’t let anybody into my storage unit, either.

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If price is an issue the Glaser is great, and I wouldn't even fool with anything priced even $1-200 less. in the mid-price range a Glaser is an absolute no-brainer IMO. But it's a more lightly-built unit than an Evans and you have to pick a single pull length. They're not competitors - they are

If you want the most heavy-duty, fully adjustable bender that's precision machined and will last for decades an Evans Pull String is the only choice I'm aware of - the ones he made for Bernie Leadon, Al Perkins and Albert Lee in the mid-70's are still in use.

I own both a couple Glasers and two Evans guitar and one mandolin Pull Strings. My "go to" is my Evans Thinline - but when I need Specific Strat or SG special tones I use my Glasers - which for me are "specialty" guitars.

They're not competitors - they are in different price brackets and install units with different capabilities. Knowledgeable players don't need to choose between them - they'd select one or the other depending strictly on their needs, not because of price.

And installing a bender in a STOCK 60's Fender paisley is a horrible idea. They are collector instruments and non-reversible mods destroys their value.

Vintage instruments are each in a finite number, and a mod like this reduces that number. Every vintage dealer, broker or collector will tell you the same thing. The "it's your guitar, do what you want to it" type comments almost always come from players who don't own any valuable vintage gear and don't "get it".

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    244300, Matt G, Maguchi and 1 other person like this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"It's your guitar. Do what you like."

Nothing at all wrong with that. Yes it devalues a vintage instrument, but guess what? Playing a vintage instrument devalues it.

So long as you appreciate the fact that the 'collector' value takes a big hit, do what you like. It's your guitar. And it increases the value of every other unmodified model from that year :)

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Playing a vintage guitar has VERY LITTLE affect on value, as long as you don't beat it up. But even then, it's FAR less of an effect that routing. Playing is "natural" wear. The "Playing" argument hold no water- ask and vintage dealer of collector.

And the idea of it increasing the value of unmodified guitars is absurd. You''re essentially saying - let's go drill holes and part out vintage guitar like the ones WE own to increase the value of ours!"

That's irresponsible and an artificial way of inflating prices - and there ARE sellers who have done such things and/or taken that position and been banned by various message boards and Facebook groups.:eek:

Matt G likes this.
  17. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

If you are looking for a P/W style bender installation....B or G or both....you cannot go wrong with a Forrest Lee Junior install....but I'm biased....have a Fender Road Worn Brad Paisley Tele with A FLJ B Bender in it....and Forrest is currently finishing up my custom double (B&G) Tele....

18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Nay

19. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I may have sounded short in my previous post.
    Please don’t.
    Plenty of modern guitars to alter surgically.

20. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

lolz the question is, do you have a mod that you can't afford performed on a guitar that you don't have, that obviously shouldn't be modded?

I say yep, go for it man!

I'm somehow reminded of that Drive by Truckers song..

"
    You mean half of what you would've made
    For something you've never done
    Sounds like the bright side to all this
    Jimmy is you're asking price went up
    "
    Go Downtown

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    TokyoPortrait likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.