1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Installed an Eminence Private Jack in my Princeton clone...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stephen78, Aug 1, 2018.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Totally diggin' it!!! I have a Vintage Sound 15 (Princeton clone with a few extra bells and whistles, and a 12 inch speaker) that came with a WGS G12 C/S. That speaker has a fat, warm clean tone...but still wasn't what I was looking for. I've also had a PRRI a while back in which I tried a few speakers (Jensen P10Q, C10R, and Eminence GA-SC64). All had good qualities I liked...but still wasn't what I wanted.

So...I'm a big Guthrie Trapp fan. I've watch a lot of his instructional videos on YouTube and Facebook. I always loved his tone in those videos with his Tele...and he was mainly playing a 66 Princeton with a Private Jack installed. Excellent twang/chicken pickin' tone (mostly due to his fantastic playing of course). So I gave the speaker a shot... and finally! That's the tone I wanted! I also think I figured out exactly what I was looking for...it was a certain "attack" that I couldn't get with the other speakers. It seems to be a more immediate response when playing clean...great for hybrid picking and getting that certain tone with a Tele bridge pickup! I will also say that it definitely doesn't hide mistakes with that attribute. :)

Never thought I'd try a British speaker in a blackface circuit...but man this one really works! The Private Jack isn't exactly a Greenback clone...it has some of the same qualities, but it really has it's own thing going on. Give it a go if you're still on the speaker hunt with a blackface style amp...you may be surprised!

2. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

I have one in a 1x12 cab that I use withe either my Twin or a Bad Cat Cougar 40. Like it with both set up's.,Sounded great right out of box to!

stephen78 likes this.
  3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I have one of those in a 2x12 cab. I've always thought it had a fantastic classic rock vibe. I have it paired with a WGS Green Beret; both greenback clones, and similar, but slightly different flavors. I'm just a greenback guy, I guess... they've always sounded best to me out of a lineup of various speakers.

stephen78 and Mike Simpson like this.
  4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I've got a 1975 Peavey Pacer that I gutted the chassis and rebuilt a Blackface AB763 circuit in it and also got a Private Jack in it. IMHO is a perfect match for the amp, totally happy. Another crazy trick I did was built a removable back panel to close in the back and make it a closed back which rounds out the sound a lot. Platefire
    DSC008851.JPG
    DSC008741.JPG
    Peavey DR Removable Close Back Panel 006.jpg

stephen78 likes this.
  5. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Just put a Private Jack in my Blackstar HT 20 combo. Digging it so far.

stephen78 likes this.
  6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

IMHO Eminence does not make a bad speaker. My favorites are the Legend 1058 and 1028k. The 1058 is what I tell people who ask about it, the workin’ (wo)mans speaker that won’t break the bank. My next speaker roll will be a copperhead in my PR clone from Muchxs (complete with his personally installed “Hoolgin Mode”).

stephen78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.