1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Inspired by “Inspired By”?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by WrayGun, Apr 2, 2021.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Anyone have any objective opinions on the Epiphone “Inspired By Gibson” series of acoustics?

I can try to save up for a Hummingbird for the rest of my life, but I still don’t think I will make it. I’ve seen mostly good reviews on the Epiphones, but I like the answers I get here. So what say you?

Related question: what’s a better dreadnought for $799 or less?

Flip G likes this.
  2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Godin (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie, Godin) guitars are made in Québec, Canada. The strong US dollar (20% over the Canadian dollar) makes the price a bargain to you guys.

They're great guitars as well.

Disclaimer: I own a 1994 Seagull S12 dreadnought (with 6 strings on it), a Seagull Maritime SWS Mini-Jumbo and a 2019 Simon & Patrick Showcase dreadnought.

I own a USA-made 2016 Gibson J-45 as well. It's a great guitar and probably my favorite but I'll put the Seagull Maritime SWS Mini-Jumbo and the Simon & Patrick Showcase up against it any day.

I like Yamaha made-in-Japan guitars. Anything made in China is off my list.

northernguitar, Flip G and nojazzhere like this.
  3. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

Andertons did a blindfold comparison.

I really like my Epiphone Masterbilt which should be similar to the inspired by series J-45.

Flip G likes this.
  4. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

I love my Seagull S6 Slim. I don't think you can do better for the money.

Pretty fond of my Epi LP too. ;)

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 003.JPG

5. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

someone asks for recomendations about a family van and people suggests the sportscar they always wanted?

Dove and Hummingbirds epiphones seems to get less love than the other models. This has always been the case and I notice the same pattern with this inspired by,,,

Maybe that is because we buy those for there looks

Eastman has some, yamaha Ll16M. Today you get an all solid for 800

telestratosonic likes this.
  6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

There are other ways to go. If you can muster up some patience and do not mind going used there are Gibsons like the WM-10 and J-30. They will get you into HB territory (minus the bling) for a whole lot less scratch than an HB will run you.

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Me?

I would scour for the right deal on a eastman.

BB likes this.
  8. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Good suggestions above.

If you are patient you can find a used Larrivee D-02 or D-03 in that price range. They are as good as Martin, Taylor, Gibson IMO.

Definitely check out the Eastmans (very highly regarded) E1D, E2D, etc.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

The usual suggestions have been made and I’ll echo Yamaha.
    Possibly consider a used MIJ Takamine.

10. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather have an Eastman than an Epi any day, esp. how Epiphone's quality control has always been questionable. I have experience of this too.

11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

The Godin family of brands should be seriously considered. High quality and outstanding value. I bought a Godin Classic Metropolis QIT last year, and it’s my six-string acoustic guitar for life. All solid wood; spruce top and mahogany for the rest. Excellent onboard preamp and tuner (not chromatic, and really my only place for a minor deduction). Very playable neck, 16” fretboard radius. I actually LOVE the feel of the richlite board. Came with a TRIC case, which is an excellent hard case/gigbag hybrid. It does a great job to lock humidity in for cold, dry Canadian winters. All for CDN$1000=USD$800.

[​IMG]

JL_LI and telestratosonic like this.
  12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's a professional-level guitar at a great price. The weak Canadian dollar/strong US dollar makes it a bargain for those south of us. I was torn between this one and the Simon & Patrick Showcase Mahogany. I ended up buying the Showcase back in December of 2019. I have a TRIC case as well and I use an Oasis between-the-strings humidifier. Both do a great job of keeping the guitar humidified during our bone-dry prairie winters.

Here's a pic of my Simon & Patrick Showcase. auQCQjGOSLmbek%ZgJnS1A.jpg

WrayGun, JL_LI and northernguitar like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Personally, I’m inspired by great guitars. This is my Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood, Adirondack spruce over solid rosewood. I found it after more than a year of searching for a guitar to leave in California for when I went to visit the grandkids. It’s so amazingly good I brought it home.
    DC34DFBF-3384-4628-9EA8-8ED7FAC3A497.jpeg
    My suggestion for anyone looking for an acoustic is NOT to be focused on brand and model unless it’s to hang on a wall and brag about. It’s a guitar. Buy one that sounds great and then unless you can do it yourself, get a professional setup. Some folks are loud strummers. Others like me are more delicate finger pickers. I don’t want the higher action the strummer needs. My setup would buzz like crazy in the hands of a strummer. Look carefully and look in places you might be tempted to walk on by. I found mine in a little mom and pop in Claremont, CA. Don’t be afraid of very good condition used. The acoustic market is smaller than the market for electric guitars. You’ll know the right one when you play it. That’ll be the one to buy. That exact one. One from the warehouse may not be the same. Good luck.

14. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

I am seeing quite a few positive Eastman opinions. If I were to increase my upper limit to, say, $1,250 or so, and drop the dreadnought requirement, would that change any minds? What would you recommend in that range?

Keep in mind I this will be my only acoustic, to use for strumming, fingerstyle, maybe a little slide now and then ... just an all-around instrument. Thoughts? Thanks all.

15. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I own an Inspired by Gibson J200 and I really like it. The fit and finish is very good. I got it about a month ago and I've been playing it pretty constantly so I guess you could say yes, I am inspired.

IMHO it's totally worth the price they ask for it and it looks and sounds beautiful and it's a joy to play. If you're in the market for a guitar in that price range you would do well to try one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.