Inspiration and originality

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
Hey yall, I'm here to talk about a bit of an issue im having right now. Throughout the past 4 years of playing, I always find myself with a strat. however, i also find myself being really repetitive with strats. The whole srv/hendrix blues type stuff. Ive taken notice of it, and every time i feel that i want to do something different than that, the first thing i do is grab my tele or les paul. Am i the only one who feels this way? should i sell the strat and not look back? its a nice guitar, but i feel as though im stuck in a rut every time i play it. tough choices, advice appriciated.

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
I get this 100%. I have a couple of guitars like that, but it's ok. Sometimes it's fun to play the familiar. As long as you're expanding otherwise, it's fun to come back to the familiar and see how far you've come.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Hey yall, I'm here to talk about a bit of an issue im having right now. Throughout the past 4 years of playing, I always find myself with a strat. however, i also find myself being really repetitive with strats. The whole srv/hendrix blues type stuff. Ive taken notice of it, and every time i feel that i want to do something different than that, the first thing i do is grab my tele or les paul. Am i the only one who feels this way? should i sell the strat and not look back? its a nice guitar, but i feel as though im stuck in a rut every time i play it. tough choices, advice appriciated.
Nope. I had a Les Paul custom. I had a Marshall. Marshall meet Custom. Play barre chord at high volume. Turns out there’s already a guy named Mick Ronson. Goodbye Les Paul. Hello Hiwatt.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I change it up. Put heavy strings on the Strat so you can’t cheat with bends. Take all pedals out of the chain. Play as clean as possible. Lots of ways to break a cliche’.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Perhaps, try out some different strat players. Turn off the OD, and go clean more.

Skip to about 4:45, and ring in the new year.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
Perhaps, try out some different strat players. Turn off the OD, and go clean more.

Skip to about 4:45, and ring in the new year.

i actually tend to play clean most the time, just due to volume restictions of being in a house with family. maybe i should grab an od pedal to mix it up. also appreciate the videos, definitely different music

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Yup lots of people get non Hendrix tones from a strat. Force yourself to learn Sultans Of Swing or something.
Writing a tune forces me out into the open usually.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I pretty much only keep guitars if they’re of general use. Even my archtop I consider general use. I had a JM for a while, and all I would do on it is play shoegaze or Western swing-y type of stuff.

But as much as I don’t like strats, I think they’re pretty versatile/general use. Just learn other stuff on it if you really want to keep it. I think last time I busted mine out I was working on some soul/fusion-y stuff...but it wasn’t like I picked it for that, I just wanted to play it for some reason.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member

Attachments

• 20220412_070422.jpg
    20220412_070422.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 2