Insomnia

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I have actually slept thru the whole night in years.

Usually wake up from some kind of chronic pain ( back or knees bothering me), or I something on my mind I can't shake, OR a damn song/earworm ( especially when I have to learn a song I've never heard before) It's like a nightly conspiracy!

I do take Ibuprofen for pain, but I've never taken a sleeping pill- afraid of 'opening a door' I may not be able to close.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Even one drink can cause you to 'wake up' once the mild depressive effect wears off. Usually about 3-4 hours after you finish it. If you're not drinking at all, I might suggest some mindfulness or meditation in the hour before bed.

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah I have "no good reason" insomnia too. Sometimes it's falling asleep, sometimes it's getting back to sleep after I get up in the night. I think that lifestyle / diet mods help quite a bit, but the main thing not having a lot of work stress and not drinking too much. I tried the "strict waking times" thing where you get up at the same time every day no matter how you feel - that helped a bit, but it overall just wasn't enough sleep.

Doing the "very dark, very quiet, cool / cold room" thing to your bedroom surely helps though.

4. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

Hate to say it, but I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. I've been like this my whole life. In bed by ten or eleven, wide awake by two or two-thirty. Stay up until two or three, awake by six.

The worst part is the frustration of knowing that you won't be going back to sleep.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I keep Benadryl in my night stand for this. As little as a half of one tablet can break the spell and get me back into a good restful sleep.

I also take a daily dose of CBD with "stress defy" which is basically CBD with vitamin D added. This generally allows me to get good restful sleep, but the Benadryl really helps when I get a bout of insomnia

6. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Get rid of the cause of stress. You would be surprised on how much of a toll it takes on many things not only your health and sleep. Don't treat the symptom. Remove the cause. Most people don't want to know what is on the other side of the hill, the unknown. It's what you make of it, best wishes to get some sleep.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I notice this a lot especially when I hit 60 I wake up about 3:00AM feel hot (not like hot flash)take an hour+ to get back to sleep get up around 5AM don’t feel tired during the day pretty active Gym in the morning. Once in great while I’ll dose off in the afternoon. go to bed around 9 to 10. Maybe the older you get the less sleep you need kind of seems that way.

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Been trying! Still working on it.

dented likes this.
  9. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've had this problem all my life, even I'm told from the crib. It wasn't such a problem when I was younger, could go 2-3 days with no sleep at all with no bad effects. As I get older the effects are much worse, feeling groggy and tired all day. All of the newer "sleep aid" meds give me bad side effects, different with each one, but worse than not sleeping. The only thing that helps is really boring music, or muzak if you will. It usually helps, but if it gets annoying, then I just get up or read for a while. Insomnia runs in my family, sometimes to the point that our days and nights get reversed.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can almost fall asleep while I’m having the 2nd cup of coffee after dinner. Like head nodding, drop the cup deal.

and I struggle to stay awake until 11, and only occasionally have trouble falling asleep after the 3:00 Am pee.

I’m afraid to do the sleep study. I sleepwalk nude...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

You’re wise in taking a small dose.

According to the study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association described in this link, there is a significant risk of dementia associated with persistent use of Benadryl. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...l-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

As we get older, the side effects of drugs may become more pronounced. The anticholinergic drugs may have cumulative effects. I used to occasionally take the generic form of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as a sleep aid. But it began to leave me groggy. It has also been associated with prostate enlargement. Now I take it very rarely, when I’m desperate for sleep, the “sleeps that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care.”

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you think if all of us who make that three am call got together we could figure out someway to seek compensation for a manufacturer defect? :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  13. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Middle of the night insomnia can also be related to blood sugar levels dropping off. I try to avoid too many carbs at dinner and get some good slow-burning protein instead. Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!

14. Toto'sDad

I'd try and stay off the bicycle this time of year, when you're sleepwalking nude.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Problem is, “the manufacturer” might just issue a “recall...”! :eek:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I haven't slept all night in decades.

I told my new doctor about it and he started prescribing one low dose anti depressant after another which only amplified the problem and made me absolutely stupid the next day.

Melatonin helps me get there but I always wake up after 4 hours and toss and turn for 90 minutes then finally fall back asleep.

Glad to see that I'm not alone.

17. Toto'sDad

My wife, daughter, and sister in law have trouble sleeping. All of them take something to help them sleep, my wife uses an over the counter sleep aid, but the others use prescription medication. My daughter has a high stress job, but unless she wants a completely different life style, she can't do anything about it.

When my son passed for several years, I'd be up and in here on the computer at odd hours of the night. For the last year, or so though, I've gone back to sleeping pretty well. We have been taking Alex for a walk every evening for ten months, since we started doing that, I sleep pretty darned good. I always took Toto for a walk, but not as far as we do Alex, just the little extra that we're going now seems to make a difference. We walk a mile and two tenths. We've only missed five nights in ten months.

18. Toto'sDad

I kind of forgot there for a moment who I was dealing with, great big Sorry! As a matter of fact, never mind entirely, uh just kidding. you know what? I LIKE getting up and going to the bathroom, really. We good? :)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

... And I thought this was gonna be a tread about the music of past forum member James Wiley (RIP)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.