Insomnia

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

It's 3:13 on the US East coast. I'm up again. Went to sleep about 10, woke up at 2. Can't get back to sleep. Lots of job/career stress. Anyone else have insomnia?

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Yes very much so, my friend. I'm listening to (and discovering) Ralph Stanley songs. To be honest, while it helps me feel a little better, at the same time it makes me have great feelings of sadness, and wish I could just go up high on one of my Carolina mountains.

Hope everything works out good for you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Flat6Driver likes this.
  3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

Happens to me, too.

I have to drive an hour to catch a 6 a.m. flight, so I’ve been awake since 1 a.m.

The only solution for me is lots of exercise, but I can’t always work it in.

A few years ago I totally gave up coffee for a few months, and began sleeping all night. But I enjoyed my morning hours much less without coffee, so I went back.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Well then it seems you found what is causing yours. Is it the caffeine in the coffee that makes your mornings or just the hot cup and taste of coffee? Basically, I'm asking if you tried decaf?

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As long as I remember, I've been unable to get back to sleep after getting up for the bathroom at 3-ish, just about every morning. Now that I'm retired it doesn't matter much; I can nap off whenever I feel like it.

I love the early-morning hours, though. I have the entire kingdom to myself.

6. Flat6Driver

I get exercise when I can. Usually in the morning. Unless I'm too tired. Like today.

I can't stay asleep. I have some career stress going on and once I'm up, I'm up. Laying there for hours. It's certainly not healthy.

Gonna be a long day today.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I struggle to sleep too, I need at least 3 to 4 hrs to be able to function at work.
    Most nights i'm awake until 2am and up again at 5.30am. Weekends I can be awake until 7am, then sleep for 3 or 4 hours and repeat.

If I don't sleep at all and go to work, a extremely physical job laying bricks and concrete I feel drunk from lack of sleep on the drive home.

The internet and my love of music, guitar and westerns or other movies etc on youtube are responsible for my lack of sleep.

As boring as it might be it's probably best to refrain from all intenet and tv for a while. Your brain will relax and you will be more tempted to sleep.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  8. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

I have tried decaf, and I echo my father’s comment, “Decaf makes me want a cup of coffee.”

idjster likes this.
  9. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Try over the counter melatonin about an hour before bedtime, cut out caffeine at least 8 hours before bedtime.
    Not too much alcohol (more than 1 drink) in the hours before bedtime. More than that can actually act as a
    stimulant.
    I finally had a sleep study (actually 2) done a few months back. I'm now the proud owner of a CPAP machine, but I
    wake up feeling like I've actually slept.

Digital Larry likes this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve had some insomnia since I was a little kid not wanting to “miss the day”. It was worst during high stress times at work and I’d often go sleepless for a day or two. I do now have a CPAP machine and while I don’t think it helps me fall asleep faster it does let me dream again!

BB likes this.
  11. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I exercise, no coffee after 7 am, take melatonin, another natural supplement for sleep and a Lunesta and still only get four to five hours of crappy chopped up sleep. I've also at times put CDB in the mix but it doesn't have any positive affects that I've noticed. It worries me because studies show a bunch of really dire stuff can happen as a result of lack of deep sleep. I've seen dementia and Alzheimers up close and I don't want to put my wife through that. Give me a one and done stroke or heart attack any day. Oddly, the best sleep I've gotten is when I visit California or Colorado. It never fails that I eat one of their cookies and I sleep like a baby. I guess I need their recipe. Probably just a coincidence.

stevemc and Digital Larry like this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Oh great. 1:15 this time. Went to bed about 10. Last two nights were OK made its asleep all night. Ug. Gonna be a long day tomorrow and I have a late gig. Maybe I can get a nap in. This stinks.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’ve been battling this problem for a long time. It’s been amplified over the last four years due to work stress, which has brought on an endless bout with shingles. Recurring shingles. Miserable shingles.
    No job is worth it. I would definitely do things differently if I had a rewind button.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Sorry you're going through that. I'm very fortunate to be able to sleep through a tornado, if need be.

15. Flat6Driver

Yeah this is less about the work than the environment. It's bad. Stockholm syndrome. I know it's time for me to leave but I'm not sure where I'm going to end up. It'll most likely be better but the uncertainty is wearing on me. Both in the actual duties but also in the benefits. I have some things really good but others really bad. And I know I need to make a change but it's a chasm I'm a little hesistent to cross. The older you get the less chances you get to make these kind of changes.

lineboat likes this.
  16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

I've been a bad sleeper for much of my life but it got worse over the last few years when I would regularly wake up around 2 or 3 and spend the rest if the night unable to get back to sleep with my heart racing yet still feeling tired - "tired but wired" as I've seen it called. I had a couple of periods of really bad sleep when I couldn't even get off at all, including nights when I would literally have no sleep due to anxiety.

I eventually pinpointed the 2AM thing to red wine. I've cut it out completely now and I hardly ever have those middle of the night situations. I've also switched to decaf tea and no coke after midday. The not getting to sleep at all thing I put down to anxiety partly due to worrying about sleep and I'm glad to say that seems to have gone.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  17. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Magnesium and melatonin.

18. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Nope - 2:46 here it sounds like we both have restless brain syndrome? I can sometimes tell myself to shut up, but I've got too much to accomplish in one day - argh what a cycle:(

Flat6Driver likes this.
  19. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Insomnia? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :D

Seriously, I read in bed and generally start getting heavy eyes within 15 minutes. But I don't sleep much anyway; I'm lucky to get more than five hours a night and even less if I've napped for more than half an hour the previous evening. Once I wake, I get up because there's no going back. My partner can sleep for the Olympics and still act like a zombie when she gets up.

20. Flat6Driver

I like that your name is mid life crisis. I think I'm there, man!
    I'm usually OK at getting to sleep. I cannot seem to STAY asleep. I'm not worried about sleeping as much as my first thoughts when I wake up are all this job related stress. I work in a place that's a total mess. I have good pay and work I like doing but it's gotten so bad lately and dysfunctional, it's time for me to go. Either because I'm paid well, or some other reason not marketable, I can't seem to get any traction getting out. And I'm only 85% sure I want to leave, though 95% sure I should be leaving. Combined with a newish boss that hates me. So that keeps me up at night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.