Inside track on Fender starting to use rosewood again for Mexican built Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Aug 1, 2020.

1. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I would prefer richlite or another synthetic to Pao Ferro. I just don’t like the color. I am perfectly good with maple finger boards too.

2. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

They will use whatever is the most financially prudent. In the end it’s all about sales and profitability.

If potential buyers demand rosewood on the MIM’s, thereby reducing sales on the Pau Ferro boarded guitars, they will go back to rosewood. If sales are sufficient with Pau Ferro then switching back may never happen - especially if Pau Ferro is cheap and readily available.

Marketing will take care of the rest.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have stopped buying Mexican guitars because I can get Asian guitars still with rosewood, and with better pickups, switch and pots installed, they are preferable to me than MIM guitars with PF, which sounds and feels too hard to me. I like the IL used on Squiers more than PF.

4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

If it happens I hope the quality of the rosewood is better than that used on the few Gibson guitars I played recently. I may have mentioned in another thread that when I bought my AO50s Tele I was actually shopping for a Les Paul but, aside from the build quality of the two examples I tried which was otherwise flawlessly executed, the most important part, the fretboard, was appalling, with lifting grain and a raw, unfinished, scratchy feel. Several other Gibsons I looked at exhibited the same thing, as if the final sanding and buffing stage had been missed.
    In contrast I have two other far less costly guitars with Jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and Laurel fretboards which are smooth, dark and beautifully buffed. Fender also typically finish their 'dark wood' 'boards very well.

5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic

I really don’t care. As long as it looks, feels and sounds good with sustainable woods. I’ve been a sucker for ebony since the first time I played a les paul Custom. Wish I still had that! Beat to crap Ferrari Red left in the sun by somebody. Looked like a tomato!

6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have an HD-28 and my Les Paul has a rosewood fretboard, so I think I'm good to go.

I would love an all rosewood Telecaster, George Harrison style, but I'm not willing to pay those prices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.