Inside Fender's Excelsior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Billm, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of making a new cab for my Exy. What size cut out did you use for the top chassis? Also was there an improvement in sound using pine?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I did a cabinet for the Excelsior I recently sold. I made it out of clear pine, then ran poplar across the front to imitate the Exclelsior's front panels.

It made the amp lighter, it made it look a lot nicer, but I don't know that it really changed the tone in a night and day fashion.

[​IMG]

jimbo735 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

Do you think having a traditional front as opposed to the slats would effect the sound? if so in what way?

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My guess is the slats work a little bit like a beam blocker... Since I was selling the amp to my harp player, I figured I could use all the beam blocking I could get! LOL

Realistically, it might cause some of the boxy mids... But, i don't know for sure.

5. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

Does anyone know how I could get the exact building plans for the Exy cabinet. I've decided to have Mojo build me a cab to the same specs as the stock cab. I can find the basic measure measurements but when it comes to the front thats where it gets tricky. Is this info online anywhere? Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.