Insanity in the world of Weber kettle grills!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, May 22, 2019.

1. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I had a Weber Kettle charcoal BBQ. Beer can chicken was a favourite. We only used it seasonally as I don't stand outside in -30 weather to BBQ anything. I came home one day to find a pile of charcoal behind the wife's studio. Couldn't figure it out for a few days until we noticed that the BBQ was missing. The thieves dumped it behind the studio so they wouldn't get dirty charcoal in the back of their truck, I guess. We started going to visit they neighbours beside us when they BBQ. Simplest and cheapest option. :D

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

We visited the Annual Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ cookoff one year (only 50mi from here) and the place was full of giant smokers, etc. There were many international contestants and everybody had free samples...
    We were walking among the 18-wheeler sized smokers and grills and there was this guy down between the giant trucks with about a dozen standard Weber kettles, his specialty. I gotta say, his BBQ was awesome tasting.
    I occasionally will use the Weber as a smoker. Not difficult...but time consuming. We like brisket on the Weber. I have a big Primo XL ceramic smoker too...that's for big parties though.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I smoke meat on a (real) Weber kettle all the time...15 years now. I would say it is actually very simple. Season a cheap cut of meat. Build a small (for beef and pork...larger for a bird) wood fire, and tend fire for however long. But yeah, it could take 10 hours.

jhundt and william tele like this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Precisely! I'll set the AM/FM out there and listen to a ball game or a local radio weekend music show...we have some good ones here in DC. Kids will be in and out and we'll chunk the ball around. The ol' lady will come out, and we'll spend time together while she waters plants and feed birds. Neighbors will be out walking around and stop to say howdy. Wow...imagine all the TV I'm probably missing out on while I'm out there cooking meat! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

There is a simpler way to do this without having to remove the meat and the grate and refill the tin etc. I have a large 4 burner Napoleon BBQ. I fully remove the grate over the burner that I am using and I prepare foil packets full of wood chips which I place one at a time on the sear plate over the lit burner. I place the meat on the other side of the BBQ and cook it over indirect heat. When I see the smoke from the BBQ begin to dissipate, I open it up and throw another packet of wood chips over the sear plate. Never have to touch the meat till its done.

6. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Snapped this pic of my Weber "Marge" Model Charcoal Grill in March 2019. All y'all are awesome with your willingness to take on smoking low and slow. I focus on grilling steaks and chops.

upload_2019-5-23_0-1-29.png

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been smoking on a Weber or similar for so long it's effortless. In the first place, I inject huge pork shoulders and briskets the night before with Stubbs Beef or Pork along with butter and garlic. I do two charcoal piles on either side, chunks of apple, pecan or hickory, and the meat in the middle. I have the marks on my Weber vents that deliver exactly 225 for as long as 5-6 hours with no intervention. Smoke usually quits after 3 hours but that's plenty.

Then I always wrap and finish in the gas grill for another 2 or 3 hours. Always perfect!

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Teach me your ways!

fnkmstr likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

download.jpeg

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My particular weber makes this kind of hard.

The grates are split into 2 sections, a left grate and a right grate, so you can either remove the whole left side or the whole right side.

The burners also go from left to right.. a front, middle, and rear burner.

So the issue with smoking is you don't want the meat over the heat. But if you take one grate off to easily access the packet of wood chips you are forced to run a big long piece of meat front to back on the grill, which puts one end directly over the heat.

They corrected this on newer models of the same grill. Now the burners run front to back so you could remove the left grate, put a big piece of meat front to back on the right side, only turn on a burner on the left side, and then change out wood chips on the left without messing with anything. It's a lot safer that way too!

I think this happened with mine cause it was one of the "special edition" Genesis grills that was upgraded to the round stainless steel bar grates.. they did the grates first and then realized what they did.

Apparently if I preheated the grill at a pretty good temp with the chips on I could avoid this whole thing and just put the chips up on top of the cooking grates.. Usually when I'm dealing with this mess it's cause I'm trying to add some smoke to a recipe that takes < 1 hour.

11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

looks good. So far, most of the recipes I have seen for pastrami call for a dry rub, bot a salt-solution brine like I used for corned beef. Was yours liquid brine?

12. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

Yes, liquid brine, including "pink salt". A dry rub goes on prior to smoking after a few rinses. Getting ready to travel this afternoon, I'll look up and post the brine recipe prior to the weekend. I found it on the interweb, probably the food network or a simulation of the Katz's deli brine.

jhundt likes this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

thanks, I'd love to see your recipe when you have time. I have the 'pink salt', used it for corned beef.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

If they slice the pastrami to thin tell the person slicing it you would like it cut thicker. That is why you don’t buy prepackaged lunch meat.

jhundt likes this.
  15. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I'm literally sitting here scrolling through this thread wearing a Schwartz's t-shirt!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  16. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

The way I do Pastrami, it takes about 3 hours to smoke and 1.5-2 to finish it in a steamer. Any recipe that doesn't include a steaming step is not a recipe for Pastrami IMO. You can make it without smoking if you really want to, roast in the oven then steam. The flavor is really more in the curing and seasoning, but the smoke adds an additional dimension.

jhundt likes this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I love to BBQ on my Weber Kettle. The thing is, its sort of like building a partscaster. You get to do it all yourself and choose each individual part or ingredient just the way you like, but you're not saving any money or time over buying the one made in the Fender factory.

I enjoy cooking, so if I'm not out at the bbq, I'm inside cooking anyways. BBQ does take a long time because you simply can't avoid the low and slow cooking no matter which method you use. But the majority of the time is unattended time while the meat cooks and you can do something else. As others have mentioned, you can visit with friends, work on the yard or whatever.

The pellet grills are largely set and forget. You just dial in your temperature similar to your home oven. But that feels like cheating to me. I enjoy monkeying with the smoker to get the right balance of heat and smoke. I'm a bit obsessed with it, so I've got a few hundred dollars worth of thermometers, for both instant read and to monitor the meat and air temperature inside the smoker. But those are like pedals, you can play music or cook bbq without them, but its a lot more fun to use them.

I think to fully enjoy bbq you must have a love for cooking and tinkering with your smoker. It is both the most simple and most complex cooking method, depending on your viewpoint.

18. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

Hey J.,
    for quick and easy smoked food at home I use a Cameron Gourmet mini stovetop smoker. It takes 15 to 25 minutes, runs on a spoonful of wood chips. Old Telecasters run through the wood-chipper work well. It looks like a joke, but works great and afterwards the homestead smells like you have an open fire.
    If the Cameron is too much work, there is always Stubb's Liquid Smoke.
    All the best to Holland, t

19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

I've cooked many a butt\ shoulder on a Weber kettle grill.

The fire is on one side and the meat on the other with a pan to catch dripping under it.

I put a few chips of whatever wood I want on the coals at the beginning to get that smokey hickory flavor.

I usually smoke an 8 to 9 lb butt for about 5 hours, turning at 90 minutes, again at 90 minutes ,adding coals and just a couple more chips for flavor. At the 3 hour mark I baffle the meat from the heat with tinfoil and let it go till the bone pulls out :0)

I use a dry rub called Memphis.

I

william tele likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can't get into mine. Why did I specify "lean"?!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.