Insane guitar prices are dead. Discuss.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Prices are always going up and down and I don’t really care about the short term. What does get me through is if a potential buyer ever starts by saying how I am unrealistic about my price and it’s worth 1/10th of what I’m asking I will politely move on. If someone counter offers I will always give it consideration.

As far as paying more than new, the only reason a can come up with is new in store is out of stock.

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
They're dead to me, and have been for some time...but you just know a huge chunk of these sellers will re-post the same used Gibson LP Tribute for $1200 ("$100 less than new!") until the day they die.

I won't pay a cent more than I would have before the spike.

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
"As far as paying more than new, the only reason a can come up with is new in store is out of stock."

One would think. Except that when the Epi Explorer and Firebird are new in stock available and some jackhole is trying to charge $100 more than new... wth??! Give us all a freakin' break with your 'deal'.

Did I tell you about the idiot in my area (New England) asking $1900 for 'RARE' (my favorite word - mated to 'Epiphone Goth' + "RARE" (spoiler alert: it's not a rare guitar at all. I own a '04 and if someone wants to pay me more than new price you can have it. You can have it for less actually).

Anyway, back to local greedy moron #1: "RARE lefty epiphone Explorer" $1900.
Funny, there's this unobtanium unicorn for sale right now in L.A. (lefty) for close to one thousand dollars less.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I haven't seen this decline in my area at all and don't expect to see it with the run-away inflation either. Let's face it, a dollar isn't a dollar anymore and it will force price increases just to match what the value was a few years ago. It is that way on every product we buy so why would guitars decline?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
"As far as paying more than new, the only reason a can come up with is new in store is out of stock."

One would think. Except that when the Epi Explorer and Firebird are new in stock available and some jackhole is trying to charge $100 more than new... wth??! Give us all a freakin' break with your 'deal'.

Did I tell you about the idiot in my area (New England) asking $1900 for 'RARE' (my favorite word - mated to 'Epiphone Goth' + "RARE" (spoiler alert: it's not a rare guitar at all. I own a '04 and if someone wants to pay me more than new price you can have it. You can have it for less actually).

Funny, there's this unobtanium unicorn for sale right now in L.A. (lefty) for close to one thousand dollars less.
...or the quality of new is inferior to the older model.

We talk about it all the time don't we? Older tools are of better quality, older homes built better....just about everything has declined in quality off the assembly lines. I found that to be true in a lot of guitars as well. They might be the same model, but you can't always buy the same quality when new, so an older one might actually be worth the price in comparison.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Fender Custom Shop, Partscasters with a brand, Gibson historic models, bolt on 80's Japanese Les Paul copies

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
Yes, I agree with above. It's why I pretty much only chase late 70s to mid 80s guitars, mostly Japanese (more affordable than USA), and some Korean.
In my case, I fear the new 2022 and even before that Epi Explorer has a thinner neck to please johnny public. But I only like thicker necks - so why I may hold out for a MIK or even better Czech version.
My '03/'04 (I forget) Goth Explorer MIK has the thinnest neck I tolerate. Called the Slim Taper 'D' neck.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic

Thats more than I paid last week for an 83 Gibson Explorer with otiginal case. People can be a little strange.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
I wish this was the case with vintage pre-CBS stuff…. there’s nothing good for sale worldwide and the trash that’s left is selling for stupid prices.

An all original 57’ strat is going for $35k - $40k if you can actually find one on market, 6 months ago $30-35k. Asking 6 digits for a 54’ is normal and expecting 70-80k final sale price is easy… A blackguard Tele is selling for 30% more than 6-12 months ago. An all original blackguard 35-40k last year, now can fetch 50k+ easily… of course asking prices for these are now 70k but that doesnt really matter. A transition era strat, all original, is still fetching 25k… Don’t get me started on Mary Kaye or custom colour strats…

I’m speculating that in the vintage market the really rare and collector-grade stuff has been bought up by those who can afford it with ease (not your working musician) and these heavy hitting buyers are not ones to dump their rarities when there’s a whiff of a downturn… The upsetting thing, is that I was expecting more poor owners to list their goodies to capture the hot market, but I think they’ve already done that at one point or another in the last 2 years… musician workers already thought the start of COVID, would be the “worst financial downturn of all time” (which it technically was for them if they relied on live gigging to make a living 💔)… so here we are staring at a dead, high vintage market where supply has dried up.

I will note that there is more refin vintage trash and hacked up guitars on the market now than 6 months ago… Why? Because again these are “more affordable” and according to my theory, more likely to be dumped during a downturn as heavy hitting collectors stay away from these instruments. These guitars are more likely to be bought by working musicians with “weak hands” who are more likely to sell the guitar to pay rent when the going gets tough or might get tough :(

Prices aside, there's more inventory in legit and all original vintage out there right now than I've seen steadily in the past few years online & in town. Yeah, the prices are up on some things but given the low inventory strain that's to be expected.

I was in Gruhn's with a friend just the other day and they had like 8 or more pre-cbs strat/teles, they haven't had that many in quite some time. Same for Carter's.

I don't agree that this applies to all vintage. ES's seemed to have peaked and things have slowed a bit there. 50's LPC's don't seem to be going anywhere, I don't think the 'burst market has moved a whole lot. OK guitars has 3 natural dot necks all sitting and sitting at those crazy prices last I looked. Archtops are only top prices when being sold by the usual suspects, still tons of great acoustics at prices similar to a few years ago.

Also, I don't understand the obsession with citing guitars as "trash" but that's usually more a reflection on user-mentality than it is on reality.