Insane guitar prices are dead. Discuss.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Ha! I hear you. But here’s the thing. I’ve never done that on a limited release (yet, mwahaha). But if you or I can buy a pedal in stock today and any day at GC or Sweetwater or my favorite local store 1) why would someone pay more than list for it and 2) why shouldn’t someone sell it if someone is willing to pay it?

Here’s an example. This is not my listing, just a screen grab from Reverb. The 2nd listing is off the shelf, new with free shipping. If someone wants to pay more for used AND new is clearly available for less, why refuse them the right to do so?
And don't forget WITH a warranty.

Of course, we assume the "new" one is indeed new, and not a counterfeit!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
'54 strat for $3500 in 1980 at Guitar Trader

In 1980? That would've been an insane number IME back then but, then again, I don't recall seeing 54's back then so maybe they were exceptional even then? Dunno. In 85 I could've had a mint condition 55 Strat, in its case with all the candy, for 500 bucks. Now, that was a pretty darn good deal even then but I didn't have the bread :rolleyes: Yes, I'm still kickin' myself for that pass :confused: Agree that they should all be played IMO ;)

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
It's not just insane guitar prices that are dead. Same goes for very reasonably priced guitars. In the absence of buyers, no price is low enough. Right now, there's little to no demand.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
Im glad to hear the Epi flying B and Explorer are back in stock, I have the Moderne, I want the other two.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
When I first started playing, a friend of mine talked me out of buying a trio of 70’s Telecasters—specifically, a Keef-style Telecaster Custom, a 69-style Thinline and a “standard” Telecaster—because “those CBS Fenders all suck!”

I didn’t know much about guitars, so I assumed he was right.

I could have picked up the three of those for less than $850, with their original hard shell cases…I don’t mean $850 each, I mean $850 total…for all three of them. One was near-mint and the others were in very good shape.

Now, any of the three of them would be worth many times over the original buying price.

Now I buy what I want and what I like, and ignore what anyone else says about the instrument.

Last edited:

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
Ha! I hear you. But here’s the thing. I’ve never done that on a limited release (yet, mwahaha). But if you or I can buy a pedal in stock today and any day at GC or Sweetwater or my favorite local store 1) why would someone pay more than list for it and 2) why shouldn’t someone sell it if someone is willing to pay it?

Here’s an example. This is not my listing, just a screen grab from Reverb. The 2nd listing is off the shelf, new with free shipping. If someone wants to pay more for used AND new is clearly available for less, why refuse them the right to do so?

View attachment 1012007
Oh, you were serious? I thought you were joking.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
In 1980? That would've been an insane number IME back then but, then again, I don't recall seeing 54's back then so maybe they were exceptional even then? Dunno. In 85 I could've had a mint condition 55 Strat, in its case with all the candy, for 500 bucks. Now, that was a pretty darn good deal even then but I didn't have the bread :rolleyes: Yes, I'm still kickin' myself for that pass :confused: Agree that they should all be played IMO ;)

I used to get their (Guitar Trader) newsletter. Yup, that was a pretty penny in 1980.

I know I come off like a cranky old dude, I guess I am. It's just I can't stand the interposition of this "collecter" phraseology and the nose in air cork-sniffing it implies. Guitars are meant to be played not collected.

tubeToaster

Tele-Meister
We need a time machine. I’d pick up some guitars ,a few amps and a truck load of tubes.
Also a crystal ball would have been really helpful in the ’70s.

Falstaff1960

Tele-Meister
Sounds like the the vintage guitar lovers prayer:

"Oh Lord, please give me ten thousand dollars and send me back to 19(fill in the years of your lust)!"

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Have said the same about cars and guitars 🙄

Yeah man.... like the 1956 Mercury I bought back then for 200 bucks, with 70K miles on it. All original. Sold it for 400 a few years later. Sold it to by my 57 Olds... sold it for 800, took that $ and bought my 62 Buick convertible... sold it for 1000. Boy don't I wish I had kept em till today! :rolleyes::oops: Oh well... who knew. Shoulda coulda woulda ;)

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
There has been a T60 listed for $1000 on my local cl for YEARS. I believe the overall trend may be headed lower, but I doubt if I’ll ever find another one of those for under $400 for a long time.
And we sold the natural T60 for $289 (in the MS Delta) with hard case in the late 70s. Tobacco sunburst was a tiny bit more. For reference, I was making $200 a week before taxes.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
We need a time machine. I’d pick up some guitars ,a few amps and a truck load of tubes.
Also a crystal ball would have been really helpful in the ’70s.

Yep. I would settle for the late 90's, investing in Amazon instead of...

webvan.png

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
This just reminded me of all the terrible human beings flipping EQD Life pedals for $900 the day after they came out
And there were folks doing the same re PRS SE silver sky versions. Asking $300 over new. I scratched my head wondering who would pay that over waiting another month for a new one.