1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Insane flame necks from China for $99...anyone buy one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sloppychops, Mar 16, 2021.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

CNC machines don't care where they are plugged in or who is loading up the blanks ,, just a thought..;)

Alamo and Greg2222 like this.
  2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

If it ships from china, hard pass

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

That is but a small part of building a neck. The fact that its roughed out on a machine has little to do with it.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

depends how rough they come out of their machines, I guess.... a bit of hand sanding is hardly a high tech skill..

Greg2222 likes this.
  5. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I bought something similar used from someone on Facebook a few (maybe 3) years ago. I've no idea where it came from originally but imagine it's Chinese.
    I paid £50 for it, complete with decent vintage tuners installed. For that price I would consider it a steal. The flame is definitely real, the fingerboard edges have been rolled really nicely.
    The fretwork was okay, not amazing, I did level and crown them, although that was more a practice session for me, it wasn't crying out for that job.
    It went in a partscaster which I still have. I did need to shim the neck pocket, if I'm honest I don't know if that was the neck or the body requiring that, it was the second guitar I put together and I put it down to my inexperience.
    But either way, it plays nicely and I'm happy with it. I imagine it's very much pot luck what you get though, I don't know I would risk £100 on one sight unseen.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

How the wood is selected and cured is huge.

7. northernguitar

Depends on the quality of cuts and wood going into the machines.

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I don't need no stinkin jersey, I Live in Jersey! :D

aadvark likes this.
  9. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

What ever happened to subtle? More isn't always better...

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

11. northernguitar

Long run...you get what you pay for.

12. ReubenPrichard

ReubenPrichard TDPRI Member

The first guitar I built two years ago was a telecaster. I used Eastern white ash for the body and via Aliexpress for about 34$...it was white Canadian maple and since I have a CNC router, I custom fit the heal of the neck to the body. The quality of the these Chinese necks is just "so-so!" You'll find the nut is cheap, and most require extensive fret work. They are not set correctly (some were high on the edges causing high-E string to "catch" when bending), the neck needs to be adjusted via the truss rods, and if you are lucky there may be no warpage which can be almost impossible to fix. Having said that...I've spent quite a bit of time "working" the neck to get is reasonably playable albeit I still have a single high fret in the second active (near the end...maybe 21st) that needs a bit of filing, crowning and edge smoothing. I just purchased a set of stainless steel frets for them (AliExpress) when I get the mindset to swap them out. If you are willing and can do the work... use them at your own risk.

I'm right in the process of building a Gibson SG custom style using a Chinese mfg'd neck that was advertised as for "For Gibson Les Paul/ SG". I purchased the neck before started looking at plans for the body. These Les Paul/SG advertised necks are so far from what is required it is disgusting at best!... I've spent over 70 hours working on (form/fit) an adaptor to make it fit in the limited neck pocket of the body. This one didn't suffer from the Tele neck, but still requires final fret polishing and edge crowning. One killer is that the Gibson SG has a 2-3º down tilt while one of the necks came with a 5º down tile and the other was "flat"...for this application, avoid any Chinese neck advertised for LP or SG it is BS..The neck joins the body at the 22nd fret and is glued in place...take a look at these necks and it is obvious they are almost impossible to use.

Next time, I'll try cutting my own neck on my CNC. My bed is not long enough to make a full neck but the software I use has a new version that will let you do segments one at a time to extend the effective Y-axis to virtual infinity...or until you run out of memory in the computer!

Bottom line... The Chinese Tele necks are "OK" and workable but they need a lot of work. Make sure you are aware of the heal dimensions (thickness, end of heal, taper) because they all are difference... If you don't get the right one, the probably of getting an 'aligned" fit will be very low and you will turn the guitar into a canoe "paddle!"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    northernguitar likes this.
  13. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Everyone is doing the flamed look and it's getting to be a bit much.

ratdoc likes this.
  14. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I didn't know this was happening until I read this post! Should be called "photo-lame" instead. I found this post while searching and can see how this can be done on a guitar top, but how do they photo-flame a neck?

What does FOTO Flame mean? | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

im not really sure what the hands on process involves, but Fender Japan had it down and sold a bunch of guitars with foto-flame necks in the 90’s.

the MIJs had one grain pattern that looked like a face, and some people said it looked like the Hamburgerlar from the old McDonalds ads....

16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

17. Frankentar

Frankentar TDPRI Member

Buy a used Squier Bullet for $75-100 on Craigslist and use that neck. It should be better than the ones you’re looking at.

18. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

The face kinda reminds me of the apple trees from "The Wizard of Oz".

dannyh likes this.
  19. CowTownPickers

CowTownPickers TDPRI Member

The China necks are fresh wood that has NOT been dried out! Usually 1way truss rods that are a cheap "POS". You may get lucky but count on it bowing and they generally twist too! Warmoth or AllParts are always a safe bet. Stratosphere has new and take-off necks that are real Fender and after market too. Not cheap but you can finish one at home or buy a finished one and bolt it on and play. Have fun and remember, going cheap always ends up costing more!

20. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

Yes I bought one about the beginning of the year. I've got a few projects going on I haven't used it yet it looks like through this some kind of urethane or it's not Nitro finish on the neck it looks very nice. I have every intention of getting some kind of stripper and stripping it back to bare wood. And finishing it with neck Amber and hitting with Nitro. But I have 4 other builds that I'm finishing up before that. I built myself an Esquire and I really like it and I've learned from building the Esquire. I got the lightest body I could the guitar weighs 6.2 lb and it's freaking amazing. And honestly I don't think my enjoyment of it has anything to do with the fact that I put it together and finished it. I just got really lucky getting a really good lightweight swamp Ash body. I used a Bare Knuckles pickup. I used Relic hardware.I found I really like the shape of a v-shaped 50s tele neck. I play les pauls and all sorts of guitars but that guitar has become one of my main gigging instruments because it sounds really good and is lightweight. So my goal with the Flames neck and the reason I bought it is to build myself kind of a Keith Richards type guitar with a humbucker in the neck so at some point this year I'll be able to give you more information but the shape of the next seems to be more of a c that a v it's very pretty it's very shiny it looks like maybe it's some kind of urethane finish. There are a couples very small flaws if you look very closely. But like I said my intention is to strip it down to bare wood and make it the way I want it it's a nice piece of wood and the Abalone inlays seemed fine in the front work seems alright.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.