Input please on this 59 esquire

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Ndavis1971, May 15, 2021.

1. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I just don't know.
    Seems high to me, and here's why.

The pickguard and maple fingerboard would be period-correct between approximately 1952 and 1958.

In 1959, rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay replaced the previously all maple neck, and eight screws were reputedly used in the pickguard.

And the screw holes in the neck position pickup cavity don't suggest Esquire, but rather Tele.
    In that regard, a few details seem slightly off.

And the refinished body tends to scream 'franken-caster' to me more than it does, 'all-original except for a new paint job'.

I'd pass on it.
    But what do I know?

:(

hemingway and Boreas like this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks to me like it needs a refret. That is going to cost some serious coin to get a maple neck done by someone competent.

I would pass. IMO, a refinished body is rarely a good thing on a vintage instrument. A collector doesn't want to see that.

Telekarster and Ndavis1971 like this.
  4. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

Pick guard is accurate. Five screws at time for an esquire and they had maple that year.

5. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

True but a non refin is 20k plus easy

IrishB and Boreas like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And it will appreciate at least twice as fast.

It really depends on what you want it for. For me, I would want something that looked old. But that is just me. My vintage Martins are beat up, but sound heavenly.

Telekarster, Toadtele and Ndavis1971 like this.
  7. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

Nope, it was rosewood with clay dots on the fretboard, pearloid dots came in in 1964. Not sure though if maple CAP fretboards were available in '59, but definitely on special order in '60.

Telekarster and sangandongo like this.
  8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Hey it's your money.
    Buy it if you really want it.

I don't trust the pedigree, but then again, that's just me.
    I'm a loving and giving person, but not a particularly trusting one, if that makes any sense.
    I'm jaded when it comes to guitars offered up for sale on the interwebs.

To your original question, is the price in the ballpark?
    Considering what you know about the guitar versus what we can only surmise about it, I would say that it's about a quarter mile away from the parking lot of the ballpark.
    o_O

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  9. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I've never owned a real 59, but I built a 59 Esquire partscaster using a genuine 59 Tele neck. I spent a lot of time researching the 59 before and while building it, and the one you're considering looks like the real McCoy to me. I'd have to question whether it's worth 18 grand to own a real one though. My cost to build mine was a little under two grand, and I think even the Custom Shop version would be well under 5,000.00. Unless it'll mean something emotionally to you to own a guitar that's sixty years plus in age, you'd be a lot better off with the Fender Custom Shop version. Use the extra ten grand plus to buy a real vintage Fender amp, where you'll actually get something a modern amp can't give you. Good luck, whatever you choose.

Double Stop, voskarp and Ndavis1971 like this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do some of the solder joints on the controls look a bit too shiny for "vintage"?

I suspect that if this isn't a partscaster, it was an Esquire with a Tele conversion that's been converted back.

Yeah an all-original one would be over $20K, but at $14K this one's in an odd place price-wise because you can get a slightly later guitar in all-original condition for that money. To me that makes it not a particularly good value.

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  11. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Something disturbs me when the electronics and hardware look like new, the lacquer on the maple board isn't worn away anywhere, yet the guitar requires a refinish?

Interestingly there was a discussion on a 59 Esquire at Retrofret over the last couple of days where the instrument had no penciled in date on the neck butt and I referenced GuitarHQ for a possible explanation as to why.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/59-esquire-for-sale-at-retrofret.1071620

And now here comes an April 59 with a neck date.

My brother's Esquire is an April 59 and it has no neck date. Body date is 4/59 and the neck is rosewood. I think I recall reading that April 59 is about when rosewood started to be used, so it stands to reason it could go either way of course.

12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Were Philips head period?

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  13. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input. I’m gonna pass. There may be a local one for the same price that is all original.

Boreas and netgear69 like this.
  14. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

Neck looks legit to me, frets might be ok too - mine look like that and are plenty playable. Bit weird there’s a neck date though.

Not sure about the body. I didn’t think it was common for no body date in ‘59 - just no neck date (mine is 3/59 body date, no neck date).

Maybe it’s legit and as @David Barnett said - it was converted to a tele at some point and maybe had a diff paint job...then has been converted back.

Either way it’s not that much less than I paid for my all original one - so good call on passing I think.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  15. lasrup

lasrup Tele-Meister

4C8E11CC-43B6-4C0B-A3A3-F46CC60E350B.jpeg Not sure about the electronics.This is my original 1958.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Ndavis1971 and Telekarster like this.
  16. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

That's probably a one-piece neck with the plugs. Caps typically didn't have the stripe and headstock plug, if my memory serves me. I know my '68 Maple Cap doesn't, but by '68 they weren't the same animal anymore.

17. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

What's with the two rectangular patches on the pickguard at 11 O'clock? Are they painted or photoshopped? That's enough warning for me.

18. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

I'm guessing someone's initials were there at some stage, then whatever they left behind has been covered up? They look to be same spot/shape in all pics, so don't think it's photoshop.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That does seem to be an Austin "thing".

20. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Providing everything else checks out I reckon price is about right for a body only refin from a dealer in today's market....and there is always some wiggle room.

IrishB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.