1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

input jack/twisted wires

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bluaxe, Aug 19, 2012.

1. bluaxe

bluaxe NEW MEMBER!

Hello, this is Jay in florida,
    I have owned and played a strat for for more than 20 years, but have always wanted a tele. I found a mex special edition ('08) that is in great condition and from what I and others can tell, has not been modified other than set up (which I tweeked ie. new strings,intonation,bridge saddle arch, etc.) other than a few fit & finish issues which I can live with there is one that I would like to fix myself without having to leave it with my luthier who is world class- but VERY busy. The jack plate is not even close to flush, it wobbles when plugged in and I cannot seem to unscrew the outside nut from it without everything twisting. removing the upper switchplate of course gives no accsess to hold from the other side. Is there a special tool or am I just not approching it correctly.
    If I may pester someone with another issue on string barrels. In comparing this instrument with it's much more expensive american counterpart (same vintage) the american string barrels are flush, and mine are surface mounted. I don,t mind the look, since it's on the back, but with a thin shirt I can feel them poking out. It looks fairly simple to fix but are there any cautions I should be aware of?

2. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

OUTPUT JACK.

You can usually use an allen wrench, inserted through the control plate cavity, to hold the jack from spinning while you loosen the nut. What is probably wrong with this is the jack retainer has chewed up the wood it is installed in. Might not be too easy to fix, honestly, due to the way that these are installed. You would definitely be well served by installing an electrosocket if that standard pressed jack cup isn't a must-have for you.

The string ferrules on the back are typically installed a bit proud. Some people do install flush sitting ones, and they may be standard on some American teles, but it is not the original design. Fixing them is not really trivial as pulling them and re-drilling them can chip the finish. Also, you have to be VERY careful in this operation.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

One advantage of the string ferrules not being flush, is that along with the neck plate and screws, you can lay the body down on the back without a towel or pad underneath. The ferrules and neck plate hold it up just off the surface.

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.