Innocent but stupid things you've done that could have killed you

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This wasn't me, but a friend back when I was maybe 10 or so... he rode his bicycle off of the roof of a small barn LOL. It had to be a good 10-12 feet high when he came off that roof.

He didn't, by the way, nail it. He did survive though! (didn't even require medical attention)

2. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Two summers ago, I took off on my nephew's ATV out in the stix in PA, and was driving it all over the back roads with no helmet on. I was doing 55-60 mph on that thing. Really not a smart thing to do. A doctor friend of mine chastized me later, calling ATVs, "Donor Wagons."

3. qwerty95

qwerty95 Tele-Holic

I drift on the backs of cars if I'm out skating, or on my bike. Bad idea, but it gets you where you wanna go fast.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

There's not enough space on the new server to cover everything. the first one I remember was bringing up a box of pots and pans from the basement and her telling me to remember not to leave the light on. When I arrived at the top of the stairs with my hands full, I figured I would be a good idea to turn off the light switch with my mouth. next thing I know, I'm back at the bottom of the stairs surrounded by pots and pans and an empty cardboard box.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We went into an abandoned magnesium mine near Akron, NY, looking for bats. We had some flashlights, but not enough really. We felt safe because we had ahold of this string that someone had nicely left, showing the way out (or not).

Anyway, we found the bats but it was getting cold, so we went to leave. We must've picked up on the wrong string and it just lead around and around. Eventually, as the flashlights began weakening, we saw a glimmer of light and we exited the mine that way, about a mile from where we went in.

It went down to maybe 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit that night. I guess we'd have made it but it wouldn't have been pleasant, over night. Age 15, maybe? And of course we never told people where we were going; we'd have gotten in trouble if we had.

(We came back and collected the bats a few weeks later- another story). :^)

6. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I think I could write a book on stupid things I've done and lived to tell about it.

7. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

I went canoeing one winter down at the very aptly named Icy Creek which is near the Murray River. It's better to go in Winter because the water is higher so you have access to more of the river and the white water is more fun, it also mean that you need to be on your toes for submerged rocks and tree trunks.

Anyways, I woke up and the temperature was below freezing and the wetsuit that I had left out to dry the night before was a stiff popsicle. My first mistake was deciding that I really didn't want to get into the thing so I put on some shorts and a jumper and got to it. I decided to tackle a stretch of the river which was probably realistically far rougher than I could handle, that was my second mistake. I ended up hitting a submerged rock and being flung upside down into the water, I could feel none of my limbs and was in shock. By the time I had regained feeling I realised that I had broken my leg and that I was pretty much drowning in white water.

Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to attempt this on my own, my friends pulled me out and we started a long and painful drive to get medical services (we were in the middle of the bush).

8. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

I used to climb things for fun. Things you're not supposed to climb. Buildings, trees, cliffs, etc. I was a really small guy in really good shape so I generally pulled it off. The most dangerous thing I climbed was to the top of the old water tower in the town where I grew up. This was an old school water tower with a truss-type structure supporting a large cylindrical tank. I climbed that sucker many times. I climbed it one time, with the aid of fungal recreational substances, during a thunderstorm and had a really magnificent view of the clouds and lightning striking all around me.

I once "dated" a woman who never informed me that she was married and I actually had to jump out a window with my clothes and stuff bundled under my arms and run through a field buck nekkid when the poor guy inevitably came home from work early. Needless to say there were no more "dates" after that incident.
    -Mr. N.

9. Earguy

Earguy Tele-Meister

Most of the stupid/deadly stuff I've done wasn't so innocent. For example, making explosives just to see how big of a crater I could make. The fact that I have all my digits and no burn scars is something of a miracle.

10. boris bubbanov

This in a nutshell is why we use drysuits these days. Actually I switched over in the early 1980s. The other factor (besides how nasty a wetsuit is when frozen) is the lethal smell from them thangs. ;)

+

We had a girl flip her kayak, and break her leg getting out of the boat down in Costa Rica one time. The Utility (ICE) had opened up the floodgates while we were on the river, and the river rose from 1 meter to 3 meters in very short order. Our party ended up pulling off the river, here, there and everywhere. Very exciting, and simply too much for about half the party with Olivia going for a very long swim indeed.

This is why I never do a hydro plant tour before running a dam release river. I have no idea whose idea this was, but what I think was the operators of the dam thought they were helping us. Something got lost in translation I think. The water was fine for me and some others, but there were intermediates in the group, too, and they just were not ready for this, since the surge arrived just as we were running the crux of the whole run. Secondly, tours take time and I went to kayak, not to loaf.

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just experienced enough with my new commercial glider pilot license to think I was pretty good, I took a customer up for a ride on the "ridge", where the prevailing winds generally allowed flights all afternoon, as they pushed up and over the ridge top. Right after we got there, still a bit low, my rate-of-climb indicator spiked over 1,000 feet per minute, so I did like the hotshots did: pulled the release.

Unfortunately it was a thermal, not ridge lift, that caused the spike, and as soon as I flew out of it, the ROC flipped the other way, and indicated that we were sinking like a homesick rock. I realized the predicament right away and headed for home, but I'd released so low that I had to fly around a foothill that we usually flew over. After I got around that, I dived for the ground, got up as much speed as I could, then dragged 'er in using ground effect and speed, maybe 6 feet off the ground for the last several hundred yards (over a very wide-eyed field worker) to the runway. Rolled out maybe halfway down the runway, away from the club house.

The boss met us there. I thought I was fired. But he said to the customer, "Sir, we owe you a better ride. Let me take you up," and then to me, "How about if you tow for the rest of the day?"

I was eighteen at the time. I learned a lot, about ridge lift, safe release altitudes, emergency flying (I done good on that,) and being a businessman. I learned all this from a very remarkable man.

12. x2plex

x2plex Tele-Meister

Being poor can kill you in several different ways. I had an '71 pickup with a 300 c.i. 6-cyl., automatic and a broken motor mount. Just loop some chain in there and you're set, right? Uhhh, nope. After a long, hot drive, I open the door and set one foot outside. Motor's idling. The tranny jumps out of park into reverse (as C-10's were prone to do)... motor hikes up in the loose mount... throttle jams wide open. Now we're going backwards in a hurry until the adrenalin kicks in. Fortunately, I climb in and kill the ignition before I'm at the the row of parked cars. Many lessons learned in under one second!

13. Earguy

Earguy Tele-Meister

And just a hint: Even though it'll fit, a .22 bullet is not a good substitute for a blown car fuse, especially if there's a short that made the fuse blow in the first place.

14. boris bubbanov

No question, the difference between being in the thermal and being in the adjacent down is a monster.

But that's your REAL flying. Even an autogyro is cheating, next to that.

15. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

When i first moved out of home i hada 20yr old hand me down washing machine that got to the point of 1 wash = 1 repair.
    This one day i ha no clean clothes (saved them due to how annoying the machine was!) and i was havinv major difficulty. Anyway long story short there was water everywhere, an in a tiny laundry i was in a mangled position with the machine full of water leaned overso i could get my hand up underneath . In the frustration i forgot to unplug it. Wet hands, wet floor and i brushed something electrical under there. Zap!
    Luckily it wasnt terribly bad, just left me with a sore arm but couldve been a lot worse. I calmly got up, walked to the car, and went and forked out for a new machine...

16. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Chills.
    I lost a friend when I was a kid.
    I lived in Trenton, NJ two doors down from this kid, Bobby. And we used to hang out a lot doing stupid stuff like having blackberry fights & having rock fights with a gang of kids from the next block & hiding behind the neighbor's garage, smoking cigarettes.
    The summer I turned 9, my family moved about 30 minutes south of there. But my grandmother still lived on the same street where we used to live.
    About a week after we moved, my grandmother called & told me Bobby was climbing on an old water tower chasing pigeons & fell through the rotten deck about 75 feet & was killed.

17. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Not focusing on a career

own stupid fault, own worst enemy

it just gets weird when you have to apologize to yourself

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I almost drowned scuba diving in Yap because I was seasick. After a dive, I decided to stay in the water and just hang onto the ladder until the next dive, rather than sit on the rocking boat. I let everybody else get back on the boat before me, and handed up my tanks and mask. Let go of the boat to take my fins off, and of course as soon as I got them off I started sinking like a stone. I thought I was going to drown in 4 meters of water, right under the dive boat. I finally got one of the fins back on and fought my way back to the surface with my lungs exploding. Nobody had even noticed I was in trouble. Of course, 30 seconds later I realized I could have ditched my weight belt and I would have popped right back up....:oops: One of those things where just knowing isn't good enough; you gotta drill it, I guess.

This was like ten years ago; I still haven't told my wife about it.

19. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

cycle surfing
    (that is when you let go of the handle bars and stand up on the seat of your motorcycle after getting the throttle to stick open) and ride it like a surf board, in traffic,
    after that shooting each other with bottle rockets from across a field sounds pretty lame
    deciding to go drive over and see what was going on after the "MOVE" bombing and fire was fun (until we got chased away by the angry mob)

20. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

i grew up right next to the Connecticut river. when i was about 12 my buddy and I walked out on the ice on the river just south of Hartford.
    they used to cut a channel through the ice for the tankers to bring oil up to East Hartford. i recall being about 20 feet away from the channel. this was probably February and the water was RAGING under the ice. if the ice let go they wouldn't have found us for months!
    stupid stupid STUPID!
    i still get chills when i think about how close i was to death!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.