Injured...relearning... (Upside down)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by RoarDog, Nov 16, 2019.

1. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Hey what's going on gentleman as I stated when I introduced myself in the welcome wagon I messed my fret hand up pretty good and cant do things like I used to...so thus begins the journey of getting my mojo back via upside down left handed guitar so I can get my bends and double stops going again. On a side note it's been incredibly frustrating trying to find a decent left-handed tele I ordered a standard tele to mod up via Amazon a while back and it came damaged/used (like it was sitting in somebody's garage for a few years lol). I was able to borrow this left-handed Fender acoustic to get me through this dry spell.

PS... When I said I recognize this...what I meant to say is the b-flat major 7 chord and we all know is the same shape as a C7 upside down and vice versa lol. Today is literally day one but I'm already beginning to recognize some chord shapes and make some abstract connections between different shapes. I think I'm going to go back and forth between left-handed and right-handed upside down and see which one straightens the stem end of my twang stick

2. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I like your spirit and determination to regain your mojo! Listing to your video I don't think it will take long to get back in the groove. Looking forward to progress reports.

3. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

a lot of people would probably quit if they were in your position. i'd bet hard currency you come out on the other side a better player and musician than you were before the injury. good on you.

BB and RoarDog like this.
  4. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Thanks for the kind words Tenderfoot! The closest thing I can liken it to was learning how to drive split shift .. knew the gas n the wheel I knew the road but took me awhile to figure out the gears.

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Understand about the split shift, my late brother was an OTR truck driver for a number of years and I remember him talking about getting use to having to work two transmissions.

RoarDog likes this.
  6. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Thanks man! Fortunately I can chord still well almost. My lapstyle slide guitar remains unaffected. I mainly play traditional roots music so not being able to play as many alt chords isn't a huge issue.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good luck with the new journey. Your determination is inspiring. I would probably have just went for playing slide. It don't look like its going to take long for you to get it back.

RoarDog likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

its hard as hell to reorient your thinking to left handed from right , i have tried to learn right handed guitar and cant do it, personally
    I was stoked to find a lefty squiier tele that was a pretty fine player , by the sounds of it all you are not doing too bad , its just getting your chords visualized befor playing them then its muscle memory after that , practice ,practice practice , you've got some good starting points there , keep it up , you Can do this!

best of wishes comming at you!

nojazzhere and RoarDog like this.
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You can do it.
    At high School my best friend's father had an OM and played right handed but upside down.
    I'm guessing he was a leftie with a RH guitar. It was a good guitar too, spruce top, MIJ.
    He was amazingly good and played Bach and other classical music.

Many musicians that are left handed play right handed, Peter Green is one. Google the list. YOU CAN DO IT. I admire your attitude.

RoarDog likes this.
  10. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Thanks for the good word man. I'm still playing lapstyle with few difficulties, and I'm looking forward to doing more of it!

11. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Thanks for the kind words, I'm finding left handed a bit easier to visualize than left handed flipped. Just a mirror image left-handed rather than upside down but still have greater dexterity in my left hand at this point hopefully that will change soon.

12. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Thanks man I'm actually left handed but learned right because of limited resources 25 years ago, I don't know if this will be advantageous or not but I'm going to give it the same enthusiasm I had when I was just starting out at 14 or so.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

thats always been a good positive prospective for me playing left handed and to follow some one who's right handed , all the best !

RoarDog likes this.
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Stick with it!!! Learning on acoustic may actually be better... Builds hand strength and better habits ...

RoarDog likes this.
  15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I had a buddy get a couple of fingers blown off and had to make the switch. It seemed for him, it was more a matter of getting muscle memory, coordination and finger strength up to speed. Took him about a year to get where he was comfortable.

RoarDog likes this.
  16. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

A good friend of mine lost a finger on his fret hand about 2 years into his musical journey. Now some twenty years later you'd never know he wasn't left handed to begin with. I think it took him a year or so to make it to the point where he'd developed more as a southpaw than as a righty. I've been playing 24 years now I hope to get back to where I was in a decade or so. I'll be patient, in some ways I can continue to develop while I wait for the dexterity to catch up.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

One of the greatest examples of a guitarist who injured his fretting hand only to go on to become a world renowned player is Django Reinhardt. Apparently he only had two good fingers, and partial use of a third. Good luck.....I kinda think, with your attitude and perseverance, you'll make us proud. Best wishes! ;)

RoarDog likes this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Good Luck Brother, I'm right handed and had accident that left my left arm trashed, after about 8 years not even trying guitar, I bought a Left handed SX LP from Rondo Music.
    That's when the journey back started, I lost my drive a bit when things just didn't flow like they did playing right handed, but still pluckin away,,,

RoarDog likes this.
  19. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Right on thanks man! I've watched pretty much every reel of Django there is out there. It seems for his solo lines he was limited to two digits, but he got pretty good use of his fingers and thumb for chording. I was told using my thumb was a bad habit but I've always played certain grips with my thumb take a Gmaj7 for example I play it 3X443X with TX231X leaving a pinky for extensions 6 9 11 ECT.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Yeah it's like my brain and hand got a divorce and are fighting over custody of the chords lol, I wish you the best of luck as well!

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.