1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Info needed: Squier Bullet or Affinity routs

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by LoveHz, Dec 4, 2020.

1. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

As a side project to occupy a little time during this Covid lockdown I'm planning to put together a three-pickup Tele. Can anyone please tell me if the stock Bullet or Affinity bodies are ready routed for a centre pickup -- I don't have the tools to do this neatly at home. Neither do I know anyone who has one of these guitars and I can't really wander into a store with a screwdriver and whip the pickguard off. Thanks in advance.

2. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Someone more expert will probably chime in here, but I dont think they do, it would have to be a rout job.
    You can hog out the material for a single coil without too much effort with a regular drill and forstner bit, and use a dremel to neaten it off ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Gaz_ likes this.
  3. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Take off the pickguard and find out. Might be a swimming pool route which will accommodate most anything with the proper ‘guard. Can’t say off hand.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think any of them are routed for a middle pickup. I could be wrong.

5. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

6. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

OK, thank you folks. Looks like a drill job.

7. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I recently did this to make the small single coil neck rout on my tele big enough for a Creamery Toaster Pickup. Drilled out what I could with forstner bit, then joined it all up with smaller drill holes, and then cut it away with a dremel with a rout bit. I used the dremel free hand to start off with, then went with this [​IMG]
    to set the height and neaten it all up. I shielded the rout as well, so even without the guard, it still looks quite neat.

Then I had to cut the pickguard as it was an unusual shape. If you're buying the pickguard, and also moutning the pickups on the guard, it's a fun project and you can make it look pro at the end.

Lidl has forstner bits in at the moments as well (Y)

bls82261 and Ghostdriver like this.
  8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I think it's pretty likely none of them have routes for a middle pup. My 2014 Affinity doesn't even have a route for a humbucker like pictured above. Just a single coil route on the neck.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.