Info about the Hofner 510

ultrasun

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I just borrowed an old, cheap Hofner from a friend and wow... that neck pickup is absolutely great! It probably has to do with the guitar being hollow like a Silvertone (though I'm not sure, the body is so thin), but man, that pickup has bite and warmth at the same time, and works really well with low-gain.
Not much info on the web though. What are they based after? It looks like Hofner's take on Dynasonics...
Anybody here tried that on a Tele? what other pickup would be similar to those?
Any info about these pickups is welcome!

510.jpeg

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the pickups, maybe we'll be able to see if there are two bobbins in each?

They look like straight-up covered humbuckers to me, from this angle.

ultrasun

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the pickups, maybe we'll be able to see if there are two bobbins in each?

They look like straight-up covered humbuckers to me, from this angle.
Oh this is a pic I found on the web. I've read somewhere that it "Looks like a humbucking pickup, but in the case of the 6-string conventional guitar version, it is actually a single coil unit fitted with two magnets."

kiwi blue

Friend of Leo's
This might help

"Although these are built like humbuckers magnetically with 2 rows of pole pieces powered by a single bar magnet they have a single coil inside them."

There are gutshot pics at the link but I'm having trouble saving them in a format that I can insert here.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
So pole screws in the middle of the coil, and bar slugs outside it, and some empty space on that side under the cover?

ultrasun

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Additional info found: Two versions exist of these 510 with a diamond shape on the cover, single coils and humbuckers. This explains why the guitar I've played was dead silent... I really hoped someone knew about these pickups here. I was stoked with how they responded to overdrive, and their clarity, and responsiveness. They must belong to a family of pickups, which would offer a useful point of reference.