1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Info about Kenny Vaughan's Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jonkay1, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I've searched the web and can't find any info. What kind of Tele is Kenny Vaughan playing? What kind of pickups? Electronics? Any info would sure be appreciated.

2. strat-o-teleman

strat-o-teleman Tele-Meister

Pretty sure it/they were built by Joe Glaser, not sure of the specifics.

He's one of my favorites,though. His Style and Tone are always just right.IMHO

3. SpaceyBen

SpaceyBen Tele-Meister

He says in a youtube vid or maybe in a guitar mag that his guitars are made by Floyd Cassivas(? spelling) who iirc worked for Glaser... I did some searching for him online a while back and couldn't find anything... he may say about his guitars in his d'addario flatwounds interview on youtube or it may have been in an issue of Guitar Player a few months back that had an article about Marty Stuart

4. hism-scism

hism-scism NEW MEMBER!

As SpaceyBen indicated, at least some of Kenny Vaughan's guitars are built by Floyd Cassista. As far as I know, Floyd is still working with Joe Glaser.

5. 67tele

67tele TDPRI Member

The main Guitar he plays on the Marty Stuart show looks to be 65 or 66 with a rosewood fretboard. Love the way he plays and his tone.

6. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I would really love to know what kind of pickups are in that guitar. His sound borders on magical. He achieves a bell-like chimey tone that you just can't seem to get these days. I know he's playing through that silver faced Princeton Reverb, which helps.

7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I've seen Kenny play many different guitars over the years, had an Ugly A$$ Green G&L for quite awhile...Strats too...he's not a One Guitar guy at all.

8. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

That Kenny Vaughn feller has some serious chops! And when you combine that with Marty Stuarts great B-bending---you get magic!

I can't think of enough Fabulous Superlatives to describe their playing.

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

And did I forget to mention he is married to Carmella Ramsey !......sigh..:oops:

10. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Brought to you by the magic of Google :lol::

From http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/country-soul/aug-06/22084

Kenny, what gear did you use for the Badlands and Souls’ Chapel records?

Vaughn: My main guitars are chambered-body models loaded with Lindy Fralin pickups built by Floyd Cassista, who works for luthier Joe Glaser in Nashville. I also used an early ’80s Squire Strat quite a bit—I found out that Hollywood Fats played one, and he’s my favorite, so that made me feel good—and a ’59 Harmony Meteor that my father-in-law gave me. It’s the model Keith Richards and Dave Davies used. My amps were a Fender Princeton Reverb and a little Valco 1x12 combo. Man, I love Princetons. Turn ’em on, turn ’em up, use too much reverb and tremolo, and go for it! My strings are .012 sets of flatwounds, because I find flatwounds give the front end of the note more pop, and that notes decay smoother than they do with roundwound strings. Also, when I layer parts in the studio, flatwounds toughen up the track without getting in the way of the other instruments—especially if I use a real clean sound, and pick by the bridge using a medium-gauge pick. Listen to Wes Montgomery or Jimmy Bryant, and you’ll get an idea of what flatwounds sound like.

11. jimmtimm

jimmtimm TDPRI Member

I was lucky enough to meet Kenny a couple times while in Nashville. The first time he was raving about old Fender Broncos and said the B16(I believe?) Bigsby on his Glaser is the best Bigsby for a Tele. Put a tune-a-matic bridge on it. Second time he was playing a Jaguar.

12. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

I've seen him play alot over the years. Seen him with that G&L tele style guitar with a bigsby, a Sunburst Tele, a couple of Floyd Cassita semi hollowbodies loaded with Fralins (one w/ humbuckers), a Jauguar, and that tele he plays on the Marty Stuart show. I've even seen him play ES-335s and Rickenbackers when he was with Lucinda Williams.

He once told me that he sometimes uses a Blues Driver, and an Even Tide Delay. Always Flat wounds.
    I got a good look at the Fender Princeton he was using at the Ryman last month. It was Black Faced (very clean maybe a reissue?) and the settings that night were Volume-5 treble-3 bass-4 Reverb-6. The speed and intensity knobs were both on 1, so if he used tremelo that night it came from a pedal. Hope this helps. Wish I could play like him. Him and Marty are a modern day Don and Buck!

13. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Pedal Board

Here's a pictue of what I believe to be his pedal board that night last june. I think I see a boss dd-3, a boss tremelo and I'm not sure about the blue pedal is that a blues driver or a CS-3 compressor. Can you Indentify anything else? What are those white pedals. There some stuff up top you can't really see also.

Attached Files:

14. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Princeton

Amp Settings:

Attached Files:

15. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Bump, I thought more people would like to see this thread.

richiek65 likes this.
  16. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw Marty and his fabulous superlatives once for an acoustic gig in Ashland, Ky. Kenny had a big of flat top with a tailpiece bridge setup. They were all dressed in black tuxes trimmed in neon green. Marty had neon green fringe and a big tassles.

17. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Here are some pics of the green tele.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ThreePeace and FloydBCassista like this.
  18. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Man, I really love watching and hearing Kenny play.

19. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Kenny on flatwounds

He really burns on these 2 tunes, and it sure DON'T sound like flatwounds:

richey88 likes this.
  20. smokerjoe34

smokerjoe34 Tele-Holic

I've seen him play strats and it seems like regardless of what he's playin' he just flat out smokes it !! Just a very cool guitar player !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.