1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Infected by the paisley virus

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tvvoodoo, Oct 29, 2020.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Been years since I've documented any builds, and I've got the bug again. I thought because I had it once before maybe eight years ago, I was immune. Sadly, that's not how it works, apparently. I'm learning of all guitar build infections, paisley is the worst kind. They swim and swarm all inside your brain while you sleep, haunt your days with amoebic wriggling inside your shirt, up and down your arms and back all through the day. They'll even itch and scratch and bite under whatever hair you got left, and eventually make it fall out. Only way to get rid of the Paisley viral infection, is to see it through and build it. Then, you can at least buy yourself a slightly normal existence until the next time it strikes.

Will be an ongoing thread of a highly mutated and fabulous paisley finish attempt. Maybe the first of it's kind. Probably the last. I don't think nobody else would be this silly.

Started with a body. Regular metallic silver store paint, nothing special.

[​IMG]

Dang thinline guard I bought don't fit right AT ALL... (I knew it wouldn't).

[​IMG]

Makin' it work. Because of the finish method I chose, I kind of have to do some things on this build a bit backwards, so I have to kind of set it up first a little bit before I can move ahead.

[​IMG]

Life has few problems that cannot be solved with a hacksaw, a drill and a chisel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you don't have all the fancy big boy tools, necessity becomes the mother of... oh, you know the thing!

[​IMG]

Had to get the neck installed - Predrilled neck, need to find where to put those pocket holes. Little grubs will do it. Found this method here. TDPRI is a great resource for not-so-bright fellas like me

[​IMG]

Things starting to line up...

[​IMG]

So far, so good. We are still in the incubation period. Soon to be infected by the virus.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

That neck you have in the first photo needs a little work before you use it.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Subscribed...this looks killer!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

:lol: Imagine if that was a neck. That's kind of what my guitar playing sounds like.

NoTeleBob, Mistahbrock and tubegeek like this.
  5. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Subscribed! My Avatar is the one I did this summer using Rothko and Frost paper....and it was a many years long infection too . :)

tvvoodoo likes this.
  6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Neat.

Wish I could find a control plate that would cover a thinline route so I could use a smaller pickguard like yours. I looked at a Jazz base and Jaguar cover plates figuring I could use one hole for a 3-way toggle but they both were too small to cover the "teardrop" shape route.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  7. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

nice idea with the scratchplate

You could do a finish with some transparant waterslide paper with paisley decor on top of that metallic you already have.

Have a nice weekend ✌️

tvvoodoo likes this.
  8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I sure could, couldn't I? That would be one way to get paisleys down, I think some folks are doing something like this already. I wonder how much the lines would show if you chopped them up, or maybe if I guy could get one big huge waterslide?

For this one, I'm chasing a paisley with a generous amount of sparkle. Combine the showy sparkle guitar with some turned-on paisley. Actually did an experiment forming paisleys with glitter glue on a test surface painted with this silver paint. Turned out horribly sad and terrible. Not even gonna show a photo it was so bad. One way to find out how to do something, is to keep eliminating ways to NOT do it, kind of the story of my life :confused:

Sincerely digging your metallic fabric paisley reveal, in the thread up now my friend. That is the perfect pickguard for it too. Dark and masculine. I watched Big D guitars do a fabric paisley with epoxy last year, similar fabric to yours, but his fabric was in green and gold . He had an interesting approach on using epoxy. Here's the vid

Derek even sent me some of that showy fabric so I could help him complete his paisley project by doing a thing I do but can't mention here.

In yours, it's too bad we cannot see the iridescence of how it glows when you move it with still pictures, but I know it does. I also really like the open neck pup concept - it just adds a bit of "different" we don't get to see often.

I was also going to write I'm absolutely gonna borrow your idea for this build, but actually, I've done it before.
    This was my first paisley fabric finish, maybe eight years old now? This photo is five years old. It's quite a bit
    more in the aged yellow now. I dremelled into that baby like opening a can of soup.

[​IMG]

I bursted in metallic black, added an aged/tinted toner coat which gave it a real nice brassy "black gold" kind of effect.
    Don't think there will be any kind of burst on this one. I'm a bit worried about playability, because this will be my first tele project where I decided not to do an arm bevel.

Macrogats and Mistahbrock like this.
  9. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

I would make a bunch of decal sheets and then cutout around motives, to avoid any straight lines.

The big D video got me severely infected, I started right away afterwatching it the third time.

your build is super nice, with the reversed contril plate, I was considering this too, but my lazy fingers choose the "as usual" way

tvvoodoo likes this.
  10. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

In regards to the operation unto where we verily open up a telecaster neck pickup as if it were but a simple tin of yummy baked beans to fully release the hidden, rare (and mostly mythical) GodlyTone unto which can be more easily and fully transferred from my fumbly fingers, through the strings and in turn six shockingly-nekkid polepieces, etc.

File photos under the heading "We Know Not Why We Do The Things We Do"

Pics are pretty self-explanatory. There is a way easier and far more reliable method to get this look, but this is how I do it because I am exceedingly miserly and stubborn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one turned out just a little bit rougher than the last time I did this. My ever-worsening vision and patience are to blame. Looking at it from a couple feet out looks just fine. Start to finish about 45 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Macrogats likes this.
  11. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

OH MY GOSH YOU MURDERED YOUR PICKUP!?!?!?! lol. Finally found a good use for the wheel of death. lol

tvvoodoo likes this.
  12. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

It's fairly easy to take the cover off

there is three "lips" mounted to the bottom of the bobbin, and there is a wire soldered to the groundwire / black clothwire

I bought a premade open cover from axesrus.uk.com

it's cheap and you can remount the original again

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    tvvoodoo likes this.
  13. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

Respect for stubbornnes

you could fill in some black resin on the top, covering sharp edges and looking hip ☺️

tvvoodoo likes this.
  14. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very cool project, and great work on that pg. I’m subscribed.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  15. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You going to try the epoxy clear coat like on the green and gold paisley tele? Looks like an interesting alternative for a clear coat.

16. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I love that approach and epoxy or CA as clearcoat might figure into this, but may not either. Still deciding how to approach it while waiting for some bits and pieces.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.