Infamous Relatives? You had one

Frontman

Tele-Holic
I had an uncle was or wasn’t infamous, depending on your point of view. He traveled the country playing a guitar with a sticker on it which said “This Machine Kills Fascists.” I never met him, he died when I was only a few months old.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
James Vann is my fourth great grandfather. He was a brilliant entrepreneur, a homicidal maniac, owned as many as 125 African slaves (which he abused and traded), had children by eight or nine women, and was killed by close associates when he was in his mid-40s to stop his rampages. He won federal contracts to build and operate ferries and inns along the new federal road connecting Nashville and Augusta in about 1800. His home about fifty miles north of Atlanta is a Georgia state historic site.

A fictionalized (requiring no exaggeration) account of his life and times was the basis for Dee Brown‘s bestseller Creek Mary’s Blood. Historian Tiya Miles pieced together biographies of many of his slaves from the meticulous diary of a Moravian woman at the mission school that Vann allowed on his plantation so that Cherokee children could become literate in English. For this and related work about slavery among Native Americans, Miles was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship. Miles also wrote a novel, The Cherokee Rose, about his plantation, depicting him as a monster.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Crikey. My dad told me about poor people in Glasgow in the 1930s who would attach a rubber hose to a gas light (not while it was lit), bubble it through a bottle of milk, and drink the resulting mixture. Town gas was coal gas then. Drinking it wasn’t a good idea, eh.
My dad was an advisor in Vietnam when JFK was shot.

He didn't mind a strong drink and upon receiving the news he and his US advisor partner drank metho with some boot polish mixed in for colour and to modify the taste.

His day when he retired consisted of drinking three flavours, beer from 9am to 5pm, a number of glasses of wine with dinner and then a bottle of Glenlivet.

He had work related health problems