Inexpensive necks from Ebay?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by trxx, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I buy the kmise ones for projects, so I cut the pockets to suit.... never tried to fit one to a fender type pocket.... they all have curved heels usually, no square ones.....

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Well if you are willing to refret a neck, why not change the radius while you are at it? You could have the whole experience. Cutting fret slots, sanding and finishing too.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  3. JuneauMike

Is this what you are looking for? The neck dimensions listed on Allparts site suggests the neck has some girth to it. Radius is off though, and I wouldn't change healthy Jesscar frets. So ...

https://reverb.com/item/32804034-al...n=2058618928&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 2:32 AM
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I guess I should have mentioned some specs. In the end (part diy or not) I would like to find a 9.5" radius, 43mm (maybe even 44mm) at the nut, with a thick soft V profile and medium frets (I don't like small or big frets). Funny thing. I don't have humungo hands, but I much prefer wider necks at the nut for chording. And I want some meat on it. I don't know exactly what I'm aiming for so it would be nice to find a source of inexpensive necks that are wide enough and with not too much profiling already done so as to have something to work with for finding what feels most comfortable, like Warmoth's fatback profile.

It looks like there are alot of inexpensive necks out there, but nearly all of them are 42mm at the nut and/or thinly profiled.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I doubt you'll find an inexpensive neck with those specs,,,, most cheapies are 42mm nuts for a start and a C profile that's not very fat....

JuneauMike likes this.
  6. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Yep. I haven't found one that isn't so far.

It would be nice to find a source for some machined but not handworked necks that are priced accordingly. Minimally profiled, not yet radiused or pretty flat, 43mm and 42mm nut widths (I prefer even only that extra 1mm by alot).

7. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I bought one from eBay, it was ok but no better than any low rent budget guitar, nut too high, frets need dressing, ok for Squier replacement if you know what you are doing. Give them a miss if you are putting on a Fender! Oh mine wasn't packaged properly and falling out of its bag! I was very surprised there wasn't any damage, soon as I saw what it was wrapped in !:eek:, I was ready to call back for a refund. (no bubble wrap taped up bin bag)

8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

To my eyes, the round part looks too big. Hope that makes sense. It very well could be the picture angle. 1/4" is enough for it to look off in my opinion. That said, it's obviously not a strat neck and you're not pretending it is, so what difference does it really make.

9. JuneauMike

Well, that's sort of the bane of partscasters; weighing the shopping against the compromise. Finding the perfect spec'd neck and the body heel that fits tight but not too tight. And doing it all without spending more than a Custom Shop costs.

The sucky part about partscasters is once you buy the body or the neck, it sorta forces other decisions downstream and those are the decisions that tend to drive prices up. That cheap neck could very well cost you a ton of money where other parts are concerned. But maybe the frustration is part of the fun, I don't know. Its definitely a balancing act and you have to be careful about reading the fine print on this stuff (something that often isn't listed in the sale).

Maybe a good rule is that if you can't communicate directly with the seller and get certain specs like heel dimensions, neck shape or radius, then don't buy. Or maybe look for a DIY guy who's got his own CNC and is trying to build a reputation among other DIY guys. You might be able to negotiate the specs you are looking for for less than a crazy expensive Warmouth neck. But at the end of the day we have to accept that bargains have their own costs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:44 PM
  10. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Maybe a wacky idea here for finding an optimal personal neck profile. I have an old Korean Squire neck that I wouldn't mind sacrificing for the cause of finding out. It's a one piece maple, 43mm at the nut, a bit too thick at the heel, flat radius, and the profile is too thin for me with a C shape at 0.8" at the first and 0.87 at the 12th. I don't have alot of experience with finishes. I have applied some poly and shellac here and there and have some around. How feasible do you think it would be to layer up a really thick poly finish to the back of the neck and work it down, trying some different profiles? For example, looking at Warmoth profiles, start at a fatback, reshape to a boat, reshape to a 59 roundback, reshape to a clapton or srv. Maybe epoxy instead?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 4:06 PM
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I guess the copper frets things is real. 'Cupronickel'.

But the plot thickens...

13. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

That's why I said take a look at 7- or 12-string necks and cut a 6-string nut for it. The ones I could find on eBay were 45-48mm, you could almost land a Cessna on that (j/k). None of them that I found said anything about the profile, so caveat emptor there. Maybe message a few of them and ask what the thickness at head and heel are. The ones who answer will get the business. :twisted:

EDIT: I looked up Kmise's eBay store (kmiseam) and all the necks I could see were a "C" profile that goes from 22mm (.866 inch) at the head to 23mm (.905 inch) at the heel and a 15inch radius. I imagine many others are similar, though one would hope for a little more beef on a wider neck.

14. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

The rosewood neck is a Kmise, it's a lot nicer finish then the Maple neck. The profile seems a bit thinner too.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.