Inexpensive necks from Ebay?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by trxx, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Are there any Squire necks that have a 43mm nut, thick profile (~1"), 9.5 radius, 22 fret? I don't know of any.

2. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I did order a bass years ago from Rhondo Music (SX guitars) that arrived with soft frets. As in, a couple of days of playing some slap bass on it left some nasty marks in the frets. It sounds like exactly what is being warned about here. Everything else was fine, except the cheap bridge being ringy. The pickups sound like good vintage style pickups.

3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

My squier tele is Standard C, 42mm which is .039375" less, 1/32" the rest is the same I think.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Mighty Mite necks are cheap but are hit or miss. In my experience there are some really nice ones
    and some dogs.

hemingway likes this.
  5. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

That’s my experience too. On the three I’ve seen I’ve spent more time fixing them than it would have taken to build from scratch. Poor quality cheap wood, twists, frets which are too short for the board, frets with irregular spacing, and a broken truss rod. I guess you might strike lucky, but I haven’t yet.

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I bought 3 on aliexpress 2 tele and a strat
    all 3 looked great when they arrived but 2 weeks later developed enough twist to be unusable .

bust them up for the truss rods I guess

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've thought about it, but for ~$135 or so you can get a name brand aftermarket on Ebay, and probably worth it. Got a nice WD a while back. All the specs I was looking for: Nut W, Radius, Back profile, headstock truss rod, including rosewood board (during the rosewood "crisis")

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll tell you what though, the neck on my $70 Indio Tele is great! It does have small frets though. Buy an Indio for the neck!

9. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I've bought plenty over the years but quit buying them a few years ago. They are so hit and miss and not worth returning, you end up with a few decent necks and many unusable ones, or they're usable but you're never happy with them. I have several show up damaged and you can't do much about it. I determined it made no sense money wise, I'm better off just spending $120-$140 for a fender licensed neck in the long run.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I got this guy for $48 on eBay. It needed work. Mostly fret work and I replaced the cheap plastic nut with bone. Plus I had to sand it a bit to fit (which I proceeded to over do and now there's a shim in there. :rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

Macrogats likes this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Depends on who's selling them, of course. There's not just one giant Cheap Ebay Neck Corporation. I'm sure some are great and I'm sure most are risky. People don't usually sell great stuff for less than it's worth. I wonder how many offer free returns. Any?

12. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

Cool guitar but the headstock is so wrong, too big for even a 70's strat. That's the problem with the cheap necks, they're always a little off. Don't get me wrong, I like the guitar, not bashing it.

13. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I think mostly what you are seeing is just the angle of the photo - but you made me curious so I went and measured vs. a real deal. The measurements are almost identical. The only discrepancy is that the Chinese one is 1/4" taller. So, although you are correct that the measurement is off, I think your perception was skewed by the angle of the photo - OR you have an incredibly inhuman ability to measure things with the naked eye! :D

14. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Meister

I bought a nice neck from ebay. It was flatter than a pancake, finished well, and the frets were leveled and dressed. BUT, the heel corners were radiused maybe an eighth of an inch, requiring me to chop out part of the neck pocket corners, and then carve a little out of the pick guard as well. That was frustrating.

15. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Riiight. Because the CNC picks out quality wood and then spits out a completely finished neck :confused:

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use Kmise necks from ebay... bass necks/guitar necks... most I just put straight on after some sanding/finishing.... on the last 4 bass necks I used I've only found 1 fret a tad high on the latest one... none have moved after initial set ups for action... nice hard maple, too....

I buy strat headstocks and reshape them to tele shapes .. more wood to work with..:)

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Those operations are done before and after the CNC does its job (the most important job, I'd say). And a CNC machine never asks for a raise. So, yeah I'd take my chances with a cheap neck. It's ok if you won't though, more for the rest of us.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  18. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I think you completely missed my point. The way you characterize a CNC makes it sound like magic. It’s decidedly not that easy. And I’d disagree with your assertion that what the CNC does is the most important job. What you’re saying is that wood selection, surface prep, gluing/clamping, and fret installation is the least of the operations in making a neck.

And no worries about the cheap necks. I happen to make all of mine from scratch and have since my very first guitar ;).

19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Ah, its becoming more clear now. The great thing about CNCs is that they are not magic, they are 1's and 0's and they don't have off days. As I said in my first post, once the code is verified and the final product is to the specs they are aiming for, they can run hundreds through and the first will be just like the last.

And they indeed do the most important work. Because you can spend days selecting the best wood, hand shaping the neck contour, sanding, prepping and gluing up the body, toiling over a flawless paint job and if you put the nut slot in the wrong place or make a mistake laying out the fret locations, that guitar will be ruined.

It doesn't take much to select wood that will work for a guitar neck, grading wood is a very old skill. People can learn how to install frets, or sand the body, or clamp up some wood, but even the best of them will make a mistake here and there. The CNC does only what its told to do.

When it comes to electric guitars (especially a Fender) perfect is the enemy of good enough and a $100 neck that plays great, looks great and is stable but responds to the truss rod is good enough for me.

20. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

The neck I used for my first build was a Kmise too. I paid right around $40 - $50 for it, can't remember the exact amount. Paddle headstock so I could cut my own, Rosewood fingerboard. The fingerboard was nice and dark, as in almost-but-not-quite-Ebony. Maybe they dyed it, I don't know; I like it though. It was advertised as 43mm, but it's closer to 42. Standard thin profile, which I don't mind, but lots of folks like baseball-bat-thick necks, and I'm betting you won't find that in a cheap Chinese neck. Frets only needed a bit of leveling, which surprised me, but they rolled off the edges a bit too much so I can't do a pull-off on the high E string; it pulls right off the edge. Someday I'll either replace the nut or nudge it over a mm or so. The biggest sticker I found was the neck heel does NOT match a standard Strat or Tele pocket; you'll have to do some work there; either sand the heel down or cut your neck pocket to match.
    If I ever buy a cheap neck again, I'm going to get a 7-string and put a 6-string nut on it, so my big fat carpenter fingers can hold a clear standard Cmaj. o_O

trev333 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.