Inexpensive guitars from the 60s. Current prices.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WhatDoIKnow, Apr 10, 2019.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

I really haven't given amps a consideration, but I guess that could be something to look into.

2. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I’ve been on the hunt for a 1970 birth year guitar also. The prices do tend to be a bit higher than I’m willing to pay for a guitar I want to play.

If you aren’t specific about 1969 the Danelectros can be real nice I have a mid 60s 1448 & 1449. They aren’t the best but the play nice enough and are a lot of fun and can easily be found for under $700. They closed down in 1969, so the don’t work for my 1970 thing.

Another possibility to consider are lap-steels. They tend to be a little cheaper most of the time. There are some big names that cost a lot but it is less than their “regular” siblings.

A nice Supro-made with the fabled cooder-caster pickup can be had easily under your budget. $500 is a bit too much for one IMO, but it’s not stupid crazy.

You could potentially grab something from the year you started playing. I understand it’s not the same, but it’s still significant in your guitar-life. And something from the 70s or 80s is generally more obtainable.

Good luck on your journey.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  3. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Doesn't have to be a solid body, but I would like something electric. I think I'm set for acoustics at this time.

Festus_Hagen likes this.
  4. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've managed to gather up a few '60s Harmony Rockets, each for less than the price of your basic Squier. It took patience and a lot of searching, but eventually I got the guitars within my modest budget.
    The middle one, an H54 has a great neck and action that is nice and low. It's a keeper.

[​IMG]

jayyj, Zepfan and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  5. BeardedRainbow

BeardedRainbow Tele-Meister

Lovely sofa and very flattering lighting.

jayyj likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

kay vanguard.jpg

Still would like to find my first guitar.
    Kay Vanguard, no logo. :)

Zepfan likes this.
  7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  8. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I still have my first electric, which is an Epiphone ET-270. Kind of a budget Japanese Jazzmasterish kind of guitar. It's a fun guitar. It's not particularly good, but it's a significant step up from the horrible wretchedness of most budget guitars of that era. The pickups are very microphonic, the neck is extremely thin, the nylon saddle suck tone, the nut is soft plastic, and the vibrato on these are usually broken. But, they're very playable overall and they look kind of cool. Kurt Cobain played one, which is as far as I can tell, the only reason why the price on these sometimes gets as high as $450. If you can pick one up for no more than $250, I'd say they're easily worth it.

epi-et270t-7.jpg

WhatDoIKnow and Zepfan like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a old MIJ Byrdland clone in a pawnshop today with a $642.00 price tag on it. It was in very good shape, but not that good.

10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

How can anyone say anything less than stellar about silvertones/danelectros? Have you heard kashmir? I'd rather play vintage danelectro than any modern guitar!

Zepfan likes this.
  11. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

My two inexpensive guitars circa 1965:
    Left Eko x27, founded in a flea market for 15 euros
    Right Hagstrom PB-24-G paid 400 euros
    [​IMG]

Fuelish, Zepfan, jayyj and 2 others like this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My first thought would be Harmony, and two in particular: the Archtone H1213 and the Silhouette H19. I plunked around on my Dad's guitars in the early 1960s, but I started playing guitar in earnest in 1967, IIRC. At that time Dad had that Harmony archtop acoustic guitar, the Archtone H1213. In late '67 or early '68, after I'd shown enough diligence in practicing, he bought an electric guitar for me (and subsequently my younger brother) to play, the Harmony Silhouette H19.

Both guitars were in production in the late '60s, and since I started with them, both have sentimental appeal to me. Both would make for good wall hangers, I guess, but if I were to buy them, I would play them, in rotation with the dozen guitars I have now.

The H1213 archtop is all solid birch. It came with a pickguard, but in a lot of cases that pickguard came loose or was taken off. I don't remember taking the pickguard off myself, since it was Dad's guitar, but I do remember mine not having it on there, at some point along the way, at least.

The H19 Silhouette really wasn't a bad guitar. The amp was some cheap thing I don't remember now, but the guitar was cool. Hagstrom whammy bar, DeArmond Gold Foil "Mustache" pickups.

Fuelish and Zepfan like this.
  13. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

If you want a vintage guitar for a reasonable price that is actually built to the finest standards, I don't know if you can do better than a Fender Musicmaster. These are (to me) really undervalued in the market, and if you shop around you can pick up an excellent 60s pre-CBS example for way, way less than any other Fender model. I got this one (1960) with a beautiful slab Brazilian fretboard in almost unplayed condition in 2016 for well under $1500:

upload_2019-4-13_9-8-41.png

jayyj, Marquee Moon and rze99 like this.
  14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Funny you should ask …. I just won an eBay auction for a Harmony Bobkat H15 today, should be shipped tomorrow morning, I hope. I cut my teeth on it as a kid, played the hell out of it into my 20s, and then somehow the neck got broken tragically ….if I'd have known there'd be such a thing as the internet and eBay, and people would be parting them out, I would've kept it. Have been telling my wife for years that I'd like to pick up an old one some day, and today I "accidentally" won one......LOL Paid a lil more than I wanted, but a lot less than many are asking for them in auctions. Mostly for the nostalgia, my first guitar, and all, but it played REALLY well for a cheap guitar of it's vintage. Lookin' fwd to it, but, hey, I can always flip it and probably make some $$$ if I don't get on with it. Only apparent issue seems to be a missing fretboard inlay, no big deal. Paid $393 + $25 shipping....more than I wanted, but, it is what it is.....My wife won't complain, as she knows I really wanted one for old times sake, and last year she bought me a new Fender Thinline Tele '72 RI …. that I wasn't even considering - I had showed her a pic of the identical looking Squier '72 Thinline RI saying I might want one of them one day ….and she bought me the Fender.....LOL ….but, anyway, here she is, made in the USA (supposedly, as I recall), DeArmond goldfoils and all, no chips to points of the scratchguard or trussrod cover (common on these, by viewing other auctions), just missing the fret marker inlay....hell, that's an easy fix Bobkat1.jpg Bobkat5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    jayyj likes this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had the same guitar as a sears silvertone, in metalflake green

uriah1 likes this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my beltone and matching beltone amps ( the beltone is the same model released a Kawaii (tiesco) hound dog taylor theses tiesco beltone amps were issued only in Canada
    the checkmate series were issued in the states

P3060075.jpg

17. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

I bought two of these a couple of years ago. They definitely have their thing.

Not my thing though. Struggling to decide whether to sell them whole or part them out. The pickups on their own go for more than I paid for the whole guitars.

Fuelish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.