Indy qualifying going on, Jimmie Johnson almost lost it

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Jimmy Johnson trying to join the ranks of Indy drivers and maybe a winner of the 500. His first qualifying run he almost went into the wall, but he's in seventh place so far. I don't watch Indycar racing all the time, but I always love watching the 500. Live qualifying right now on NBC.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reminder!

If you ever get the chance to go to Indy qualifications, it is awesome. I wouldn't be able to handle the race. Typically only 1-2 cars on the track at a time and easier on the ears. You can have a conversation if there isn't a car blasting by.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
If you ever get the chance to go to Indy qualifications, it is awesome. I wouldn't be able to handle the race. Typically only 1-2 cars on the track at a time and easier on the ears. You can have a conversation if there isn't a car blasting by.

I think I'd rather watch any of it on TV. I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix many years ago, and it was boring as hell. We could only see one turn, unless you walked around, and it was such and a mess to get in and out of. If I lived anywhere near IMS, I definitely go at least once. That said, I did go to the California 500 when they used to run it many years ago and we were on the infield in a camper, and that was kind of fun to watch. Sitting on top of the camper we could see almost all of the track.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I'd rather watch any of it on TV. I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix many years ago, and it was boring as hell. We could only see one turn, unless you walked around, and it was such and a mess to get in and out of. If I lived anywhere near IMS, I definitely go at least once. That said, I did go to the California 500 when they used to run it many years ago and we were on the infield in a camper, and that was kind of fun to watch. Sitting on top of the camper we could see almost all of the track.

With the time trials, there is no real racing excitement. If you sit near the pole, you get to see the car wailing, and the pits. But you can move about. And it's relatively cheap!

TV is MUCH more interesting coverage, but you can't recreate that WALL of sound as that sucker flies by! As you say, something everyone should try once!

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the reminder!

I have been to Indycar, F1 and Grandprix races and can't really disagree with those who enjoy it more on TV. In most cases you can't see any real racing action. It's just loud, crowded and obnoxious. And the outhouses are probably overflowing before the main event.
Now you wanna see some racin'-
World of Outlaw sprint cars are my favorite for spectating. But if positioned well, expect dirt in your beer, dirt in your smiling teeth, dirt in your eyes.
Second place is NHRA drag racing, if for no other reason than the pit pass for open exploration. Not many other places you can wonder the pits watch and meet the racers and teams.