Inductive Cooktop Not Working

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gardo, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I don’t know how it could arc through glass with no apparent scar or damage..
    I saw something that looked like a spark

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

DDA16E7B-9FD6-45ED-99FF-D0F8F5582636.jpeg image.jpg We 934A0433-D83E-4A55-BD75-0992F2FA5DD2.jpeg
    Well what do you know. After opening the bottom cover I found an assembly diagram and also a list of codes and step by step disassembly instructions as well as reassembly .The hold up now is clutch head screws that I don’t have a tool for

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    getbent likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

That’s enough for one day
    Time for sleep

electrichead and Peegoo like this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Posting the word spam can result in serious and even silly responses . Spam and eggs is simply opening yourself up to considerable frivolity .

Gardo likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Hotdamn! Nice work!

You can use a tight-fitting hex wrench in a Torx screw head. Try your SAE and metric hex wrenches to get the best fit.

Gardo likes this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those screws look like they will also take a flat bladed screwdriver.

Gardo likes this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

life is too short to not have fun along the way

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

fascinating to use deduction on an induction.....

James Knox and Gardo like this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

The sockets in the screws are fairly shallow and rounded on the bottom. I have a collection of SAE and metric allen wrenches as well as torx head. my concern is tightening the connections again, no loose connections.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you can buy a set cheap at HF. which is my favorite 'once in awhile' tool place.

electrichead and Gardo like this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If you only occasionally work on this sort of stuff, a kit with a single handle and various driver bits is a great option because decent sets are inexpensive.

The best type is that which is designed for firearms work because there are multiple sizes of plain/slot driver bits that really come in handy for all sorts of dissection and repair of hardware and electronics.

One like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NC17VM/?tag=tdpri-20

This one is more money, but much better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C63M7O/?tag=tdpri-20

12. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

When I opened the unit up at 1:00 am
    My eyes were too tired to even notice the shape of the sockets. I thought they were round with only the straight slots to turn them. I knew it was time to stop. When I looked at the picture this morning I saw the shape and I do indeed have the correct tool so back to work.

getbent likes this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I have a six year old GE inductive range, not sure if the cooktop is the same as yours or not. We've periodically had it shut down on us and it almost always happens when we have it under a heavy load - like three of the burners on high or close to it, the oven going, and then we have a spill or boil-over. It happens pretty rarely, maybe a couple times a year. Unfortunately big occasions like Thanksgiving seem to present the circumstances where it's most likely to happen. What has worked for us every time SO FAR is to unplug it and plug it back in. Just slide the range out, pull the plug, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and then plug it back in. We used to just unplug it and plug it right back in and that worked sometimes, but not always. If we let it sit unplugged a while - I don't know if there are components that need to drain every bit of electricity before you can restart them and have it work - it's always worked so far. It almost always involved a boil-over and a LOT of activity on and in the range. But it's just a basic reboot, like you sometimes have to do with a computer or modern TV.

That said, I think newer induction cooktops and ranges are getting more reliable, at least based on what I've read.

I'll never go back to gas or plain old electric. We use a regular electric stove in a place we rent for three months each winter and I can't wait to get back home to our induction range when we're there. It's as or somehow even more responsive than gas and it cleans up more easily than anything because stuff doesn't stick to the cooktop and burn - since the cooktop doesn't produce heat nothing sticks to it. If this one dies completely, we'll get a newer one and hope for even more reliability. I'm a part-time cook and full time clean up guy and if you ever given me another gas or regular electric cooktop to have to keep clean, I'm goin' on strike!

-Ray

saltyseadog and Lawdawg like this.
  14. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

Thanks and good idea too. Ours is hard wired but we did try turning off the breaker and waiting a while before restoring power. We are getting a code indicating internal electrical failure. Looks like I have to dig a little deeper.

15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I agree on both counts . Best of luck on both counts . Spam and eggs , spam and eggs , spam and eggs . Ham and spam and eggs ......

16. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I got it opened up and discovered the filter board is fried. Not an inexpensive repair. So we may repair or we may replace the cook top. B6713A47-EEAF-4B28-BD5B-248626CB7F94.jpeg

17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

The filter board is toast. Quite expensive too so I don’t know if we repair or replace. Is there a way to test the elements?

18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That charcoal seared spot is bad? Really?

Wait - sorry - I'm not on the steak thread anymore, am I? :lol::lol::lol:

Gardo likes this.
  19. unixfish

I would assume that even if you could "repair" a burned spot like that, it would be temporary. I would always wonder what cause that, will it happen again, and will it catch my kitchen on fire.

20. unixfish

...and by repair I mean fix the board with the burn spot. I would be OK with a new board, but like you said - if that is 3/4 the price of a new unit, I would be shopping for a new one. I don't know what those go for, however, so $0.02.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.