indonesian Sterling - pale neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by AndyPanda, Dec 3, 2019.

1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I picked up an Indonesian Sterling that has a maple neck that looks like there is no finish at all on it. I'm sure there is some sort of sealer but it must be super thin or just absorbed into the wood.

Now the neck feels great - I like everything about how the neck feels but I hate the way it looks compared to the amber tint that I'm used to on a guitar. I also really dislike the Sterling logo/decal on the headstock (MusicMan in general has always had the silliest, IMO, headstock decals with multiple goofy fonts all mixed together)

Suggestions for how I might give this an amber tint without giving it a glossy finish.

CutlassFretEnds.jpg

Here's a comparison of the Sterling headstock vs my G&L tribute headstock. I'm tempted to remove the decals completely from the Sterling and just have a bare headstock. But if I were to leave the decals alone, could I tint over them? The G&L has the tint I prefer but it is glossy and I prefer the feel of the Sterling.

CutlassHeadstock.jpg ASAT_Headstock.jpg

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

KIWI brown shoe polish.
    Rub just a little bit in, and repeat as necessary until it's as dark as you like

AndyPanda likes this.
  3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I had thought of that but I figured it would rub off eventually or stain my hands/fingers. Have you tried this and had good long term results?

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Actually, time will do the work for you, if you're patient. My '09 MIM standard tele had a blindingly white neck when I first got it, but it's mellowed to a lovely amber color over the past ten years...

Fretting out and AndyPanda like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've tried it and I've had good long-term results on a guitar I just about never play. So take that for what it's worth

AndyPanda likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Play the guitar all day long while chainsmoking cigarettes in a poorly ventilated space ... Not good for your health, but your playing will improve ...

7. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I think I'd rather eat dark chocolate while practicing ... maybe that will do the trick?

Fretting out likes this.
  8. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

+1 on the kiwi shoe polish method.

Here are my results on a Squier Affinity Jazzmaster (great modding guitar, btw). I dont have 'before' photos but you get the idea from the stock photos. It was a nice thin satin finish but stark white. I probably did 2 coats of kiwi brown polish -- just wipe on, wipe off. Zero residue, guminess, stain transfer, nothing. Goes right over decals and all.

20191203_191428.jpg

20191203_191411.jpg 20191203_192026.jpg
    20191203_192052.jpg

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

It will darken a little over time with some patience;)

AndyPanda and bsman like this.
  10. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Direct sunlight will darken the maple itself. I would spray a few coats of tinted matte finish that way you can control the exact color you want. I don't like shoe polish finishes, to me they just look dirty and grimy. Good for a relic but not an even tint.

And here is how I dealt with the logo on my stingray. You could use a logo for an Olds Cutlass.

Schwinn_Stingray.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    AndyPanda likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.