Indonesian Squier Experiences

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Charlie Fleming, Sep 13, 2008.

1. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Arf!

2. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

Are Indonesian Squiers better than Chinise?

3. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Proud owner of 3 Indo VM Jazz Basses - two fretless, one fretted. Only mods were that one of the fretlesses got EMGs, because I like 'em.

Can't get a sheet of typing paper between the pocket and the neck. Best bolt-on builds I've seen from a factory.

Cons: finish is good but color is a problem.
    Electronics: I like heavier-duty pots, jacks, etc, than what they use
    Hardware: fine. Would maybe upgrade if I had unlimited money.

Best bang for the buck I've seen in a long time.

4. bajabuster

bajabuster Tele-Meister

why are U talkin' 'bout the 90's??

we are now in the 21st century. the first Japanese guitar that came into the store I worked at was an absolute joke, and a bad one. things change, don't live in the past, embrace the present~
    I own an Indonesian JA90 Tele, and i must simply say, it's the nicest of all my Fenders. what makes you an official on where the best guitars are made?

5. Boondocks

Boondocks Tele-Meister

Hi, it's kinda funny - because just last week I sold my 2005 Squier Strat to a friend who's been 'on my case' for a long time. He's been nagging to buy it so I had to give in. I can say, that I think they made good instruments at that plant, good craft, good wood and nice sound. Well worth the money.
    [​IMG]

6. ScottieHotrod

ScottieHotrod Tele-Holic

I've got an IC Squier standard tele. It works fine except the electronics are poop.

Has a brilliant trashy bridge sound, very thin and brash. I put some elixiers on it this time last year and it's still bright as hell. Pick it up now and then to mess about with. Very noisey tho, I would go at it with some upgrades and a soldering iron but I'm too busy with my new guitar.

One thing that is very strange is that the rosewood part of the neck is thicker near the nut than at the heel.

I treat it as a beater but I actually paid £200 for it. That's a lot of cash to me!

7. dexfx69

dexfx69 TDPRI Member

Old thread but I ad to reply to the above post. I own many USA Fenders and Gibsons, as well as many Indonesian crafted Squiers. The Squiers in the past decade have been excellent instruments overall, usually with a minor problem like setup (easily remedied), or fret levelling not done up to USA spec.

All my Indonesian made Fender Squiers purchased since 2002 are solid hardwood in alder, agathis, ash or basswood - the plywood years were a long time ago. For the price, these instruments are a steal of a deal. Matter of fact, I just returned my Fender Jazz Bass and prefer my Indonesian made Squier version for playability and build quality.

8. dexfx69

dexfx69 TDPRI Member

On rare occasion, the Indonesian made guitars will be a dog. But that is a rare occasion. Dont judge just by the one - go try some more and youll be pleasantly surprised.

9. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

My only experience with Indonesian guitars is a Squier Strat I had that was i think an '05. It was a really nice guitar imo, very good fit and finish. I often see the Indo Squiers getting bashed in guitar forums & have wondered why. And I wouldnt let that stop me from getting another one if I found a nice one.

10. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

I have a 2012 VM Jazzmaster. It is a superb guitar that far exceeded my expectations for a guitar at that price point. The neck and fretwork are perfect. The Duncan Designed AlNiCo pickups are SWEET. I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

11. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

I picked up an 05 Squier Standard this past Summer, for $80. This guitar is surprisingly good, even if it were twice the price. This is my second Squier Tele and think they are great value.

12. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I recently bought an Indonesian VM Tele with Duncan Designed P90s in both positions. Great guitar. Definitely not plywood. Only problem when I got it was slight roughness to the neck from hasty sanding. A little 400-grade emory cloth took care of that.

13. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

i have an indo-made trans-amber strat like the one shown above, my #2 guitar behind my indo-made 2009 tele standard. my #3 is indo-made as well, a (now heavily modded) bullet strat.

both strats have been modded and proved to be very good platforms for modding and useful guitars for gigging.

the only mod i've done to the tele is the greene/fezz wiring and it's a very gig-worthy instrument, the tool i use to inflict the public with my guitar playing several hours per week. never a moments problem with it. duh..it IS a tele.

14. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

My only complaint about the indonesian standard and fat squier telecasters is that the ones I've owned have had too sharp a break angle behind the saddles.

I wish I had a better picture, but this is the best I could find after searching online. It's from a fellow here on TDPRI, and he replaced the original bridge, but that doesn't matter because it's the location of the string-through holes that causes the problem: they're too close to the neck, by about a half-inch. Or, I guess another way of saying it is that the scale length is just a tad too long? Whatever the cause, it creates this crazy sharp string break angle. You can see in this picture that the strings go over the saddles and then dive down at pretty much a 90 degree angle. Every one of these I've tried had this same sharp string break angle, and I think it negatively affects the tone of the guitar. YMMV.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.