Indiana Jones

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
Jones.jpg
:cool:

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I have never seen the effect that the beginning of that first film had on the audience again.

After packing more action into the first 10 minutes that most films have during their entire 2 hours, you could feel a collective "you know what you are doing, you have us, take us anywhere you want" feeling from the audience towards the director, Spielberg.

We actually had to grab our breath.

I looked around and there were noting but little kid smiles on the entire audience.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
When I was a kid back in the 1950s, one of the two or three TV stations we picked up with our antenna showed cliff-hanger serials from the '30s and '40s. I always found them exciting and tuned in every weekday afternoon. (Some of the endings were literal cliff-hangers, hence the expression.)

Raiders of the Lost Ark reminded me of those old cliff-hanger serials I had watched as a kid. That was one of the things I liked about the movie.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
People say that, but as bad as it was, it was still better than Temple of Doom. Good grief that movie is tedious and lame. And the female lead might be the most annoying in Hollywood history.

I thought the 4th was better than the 2nd.
Wow, there must be a weird edited version of Temple Of Doom that goes round on American TV or something...it's never been tedious and lame when I've seen it! But there you go, can't all like the same stuff all the time...

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
What I don't get is Harrison Ford went on to marry that singer in Shanghai who had a screeching , whining voice. I wonder if that lasted. I can't bare that movie because of her. She and I wouldn't last a date.

Sidney Vicious

Friend of Leo's
I have never seen the effect that the beginning of that first film had on the audience again.

After packing more action into the first 10 minutes that most films have during their entire 2 hours, you could feel a collective "you know what you are doing, you have us, take us anywhere you want" feeling from the audience towards the director, Spielberg.

We actually had to grab our breath.

I looked around and there were noting but little kid smiles on the entire audience.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
People say that, but as bad as it was, it was still better than Temple of Doom. Good grief that movie is tedious and lame. And the female lead might be the most annoying in Hollywood history.

I thought the 4th was better than the 2nd.

We did a rewatch a few years ago and I was surprised to find myself agreeing with y'all here.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Was 8 when the first one came out and loved it. Bought some lame. wood-handled whip from the back of a catalog.

Back in the 90's when I was hanging out on knife forums I came across a deal on a real 8' David Morgan bullwhip -- the maker of these ones in the Raiders movies, in Zorro, etc. One of my prized possessions.

I have a brown fedora kinda similar to the one from the movie, but not really. Indy's hat has an oversized crown which I think was to match his oversized personality.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
I heard in an interview with Harrison Ford that the day they shot that scene everybody on set was hot and tired, and that they had actually planned some sort of fight scene, but HF was so burned out he just shot the guy. And thus history is made.

If you watch the AFI salute to Steven Spielberg they'll actually tell you that For was sick and couldn't handle the fight scene. So, someone joked that Indy should just shoot him. Spielberg shot it that way, like it and decided to use it.

LL

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I loved the trilogy - back in the 90s a cinema near my hometown used to do theme nights - all 3 (back then) Alien movies, all 3 Star Wars and all 3 Indiana Jones moveies in one Saturday night. We loved it.
We used Temple of Doom's most unbearable moments for coffee- and snack-breaks. And there were lots of awful moments. I read an interview with Spielberg, where even he himself admitted that ToD sucked, but "at least, I met my future wife". You can't argue that. The opening sequence is great, the rest is...mysoginistic and, well, let's be honest, pretty racist....best not talk about it.
Raiders of the lost ark is still my favorite (even when it has been pointed out in that "The Big Bang Theory" episode, that Indiana Jones had practically no influence on the development and outcome of events at all), but Last Cruzade has some amazing moments, but you can't deny that Raiders is somehow more.....rounded.
I'm kind of biased with Crystal Skull, Shia LaBeouf plays a self-entitled ***** (which probably means, he's not acting at all). But then again: I always favored Marion Ravenwood for being the best companion to Indy and I like their happy ending. Also: any movie - even bad ones - are improved with John Hurt and Cate Blanchett among the cast.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
One of my all time favorite series of movies. Much more so than Star Wars. Had the series first on VCR, then DVD and a couple weeks ago got the set on Blue Ray. Just watched all four last week.