1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Indian laurel board limited edition Bullet tele...any good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fender4life, Oct 2, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Buying WITH trying is a gamble too ! Theres just no way to know what a guitar is capable of or not if you like me intend to mod it. I NEVER buy guitars thinking that if i don't like it i'm done. I buy with the intention of modding it till i get MY sound. Almost no guitars i have ever owned make me happy stock. I wanted to see my MIM 69 thinline for days after i got it. Once i figured out what i needed to change and tried a number of things it became one of my fav in not THE fav teles i have owned. Trying it fiorst did nothing to tell me any of that. So how can i know whether they will know by trying them? I can't go into GC and ask them to let me bring my tools and parts and sit in the store soldering different pickups in it ! Seriously, trying does absolutely nothing for me. What DOES is evaluating a guitar's potential by the woods, hardware, etc using what i know about how these things affect the sound. With a guitar like the bullet i couldn't really do that because of certain unknowns with it, (indian laurel for example) so i had to take a chance which i did because it ticked a lot of boxes that i couldn't tick w/o going to a 2k fender. And at $179 and GC's return policy there wasn't a lot to lose. If it were a lot more like a vintera at about 5 times the cost or a AO at 10 times, then i would pass and in fact already have.

2. blacktuesday

blacktuesday TDPRI Member

I bought the sparkle red version. I really like it. I made a few cahnges to suit my personal preferences, but I think it's pretty good stock. I just didn't have a tele in the collection, and I love this guitar.

Funny thing is, my first guitar was an Affinity Strat I purchased new in the late 90s. Over the last twenty something years, Squier has really stepped up their game. Like I said, I think it's a good guitar stock. The Stratocaster took a lot of work to get it to be a good guitar. And the thing about Squier, if you want to change anything, there are a lot more resources than most manufacturers for doing so.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  3. fender4life

Stock i didn't like the tone at all. So much so that i literally would have headed back to GC and returned it after less than 5 minutes had i not bought it with the intention of modding the H out of it. It sounded kinda odd to me and nothing like any tele i have owned including several classic vibes. It sounded sterile and modern in a bad way. But i guess it depends on what you look for personally. Me, i find myself unable to enjoy playing modern sounding guitars at all, and thats what the stock bullet sounds like to my ear. However, i finally got it where i want it today and a few other changes will be needed but now i'm liking it. Still sounds a tad modern to me but nothing like before, and i think a set of brass saddles will get me the rest of the way. I probably would have returned had i not found a pickup that got me what i wanted out of it If i didn't love the neck so much. Might be my all time favorite neck ! Probably gonna gloss it tho, and i really don't like satin finishes at all. Also need to change the neck pickup, and i am not exaggerating when i say it is THE worse tele neck pickup i have ever heard. Even with a treble bleed i put in the guitar that pickup sounds so muddy when i roll of the volume even a bit that is sounds like the tone pot is on about 3. And the tone pot is disconnected. Seriously, i'm not exaggerating in the least. I really wonder if it's defective but understanding pickup construction quite well i cannot envision a scenario where a flaw could cause that.

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with you about the pickups, and they sounded pretty poor to me with most of my amps and drive pedals, but the stock neck pickup sounded better than I expected it would with my Katana Mini on the crunch setting. Of course it sounds much better still with new pickups.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CCp_kWnnB3N/

5. fender4life

The worse sound from the neck is a overdriven tone and rolling the volume down as i mentioned before. It gets so muddy it's crazy. With the guitar on 10 it's usable tho still the worse i have played. Turned down i find it literally unusable. Like i said, sounds like a tone control on 3 or 4. Might even be too muddy for jazz ! Maybe with the amp clean that wouldn't be the case but i get my clean tones from a overdriven amp and rolling the guitar volume down. (with a 250pf treble bleed)

DougM likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

7. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

YES. I purchased my LPB Bullet Tele on sale for $129. Needed Some fret work And a good setup. Changed the pickups to Bootstrap Pretzels and installed an Oak Grigsby 4-way switch with new pots and electrosocket jack from StewMac. I think the stock tuners work fine and the bridge is satisfactory as well. The guitar holds its own with my other (more expensive) Tele. 0333345B-1230-489C-A034-FEB40BE7D27F.jpeg

puddin and bls82261 like this.
  8. fender4life

My tuners are lousy. Gonna see about getting some conversion bushings and use one of the many vintage style fender sets i have in the parts drawer.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, YMMV indeed. The neck pickup on my Bullet Tele is my favorite neck pickup of any Tele I have owned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.