1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Indian laurel board limited edition Bullet tele...any good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fender4life, Oct 2, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Saw these in red sparkle and lake placid blue for under $200 and the reviews seem to indicate they are really good and that the necks are decent size possibly bigger then CVs? Thinking of ordering one but i find squier necks so thin i'm a bit worried about that. Also wondering about IL vs rosewood, as i would be buying it to get that RW board sound i really like and already have a maple board fender tele i love. I see the body is basswood which is good, as i don't want to risk agathis or some other weird wood and i have owned basswood many time and i'm ok with that sound. Please lets not get into whether wood makes a difference, it does to me and getting into that debate is will throw the thread off track for no good reason.

So basically i want to know if they are capable of quality tone with upgrades and what the neck feels like size wise. I had a CV 50s with a neck that was smaller then i wanted but it was just barely acceptable. Is the bullet different in size and in what ways? Also, to those who have upgraded the pickups, once it's got known good ones can it hang with a CV tonally? Not worried about the stock ones because i have good pups to put in it and fret work is a non issue because i can do my own. My main worry is if once upgraded will it hang with a good RW board alder body tele or is it NOT like a CV that can hang tone wise with much more $ guitars? I have bought super cheap guitars a few times and been really disappointed, but the reviews seem to suggest these are not like that. Whats your experience? And PLEASE, no debates on whether fingerboard wood affects tone or any of that. I'm fully familiar with that and have my own opinions on it but not familiar with IL and how it sound vs RW. So please lets keep on point.

mkdaws32 and Boreas like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like mine. You can always replace the neck, but I don't think you will. It will likely look and be dry, so oil it up well when you get it. May need to address fret ends, but mine played like a dream from the box. I did dump the strings almost immediately.

Attached Files:

3. fender4life

I'd never do that. First, any neck of decent size with a RW board would cost me near double of the guitar itself. At least as much as the guitar for an allparts etc.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have one 1st fret .860 in. 12th fret .900 in. Modern C.

I find it comfortable and i am not a thin neck fan. It's not beefy though.

5. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds like you are going to need to try a few for yourself.

TequilaCaster and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

I own both the CV's 50 and a bullet LPB. I cant tell you profiles but my bullet is thicker for sure and feels rounder to me. Capo once in a while and it says thicker too.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  7. fender4life

Thanks for that ! Having owned a CV 50s thats about as informative as i can hope for w/o trying one. I WILL try one now for sure. Since u have both and i am thoroughly familiar with the CV50s, any thoughts on how well the bullet hangs with it pickups aside? In other words, do you think good pups will allow it to hang with the CV? Any other thoughts on the bullet would be appreciated too.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

I like the looks of the neck on the CV much better but very much prefer the shape and over all feel of the Bullet neck. My bullet is lighter but I don't really care about that. They are both way lighter than the Yamaha SG2000 I own. Fit and finish on the CV is truly flawless. The Bullet is perfect fit wise and the finish is very nice with a couple of small imperfections.
    The tuners on the bullet aren't quite as smooth but work just fine and the guitar holds tune as good as any I have. I did have to replace the switch on the Bullet. It felt ok but neck position would go in and out. A good blast of contact cleaner didn't help. MF offered to exchange it but I really like this particular guitar so I just fixed it.
    Based on my one sample of the Bullet, I say scoop one up in the color of your choice.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    LutherBurger and mkdaws32 like this.
  9. fender4life

I probably will. I checked one out today and really liked the neck except for the look of no tint and satin. I much prefer gloss and tint like the CV but like you i prefer the neck on the bullet. The one i looked at however had what i feel is a major flaw, so tomorrow i'm probably making a long trek to a GC about 50 miles away that has 3 of them and pick the best of the bunch.

mkdaws32 and bls82261 like this.
  10. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

I own both a 50’s CV and a bullet tele. The bullet Teles neck felt a little bigger. I have modded the crap out of my bullet tele. The neck wasn’t bad at all but I prefer maple fretboards on Teles.
    Mine has Texas special pickups a mojo 3 way harness with full sized pots, a squier Affinity neck (with a fender decal on it although I’m probably going to remove the decal) and a electro socket jack cup that screws in. Next up is a hip shot retrofit bridge which I haven’t received yet. it’s my best sounding tele, better than my two highway one Teles and my mim tele. I really like the CV’50’s tele too. I feel like it is a very gigable guitar at a great price. My bullet tele, after all the mods has run me about $550 including the bridge I haven’t received yet. image.jpg image.jpg

11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

They are a good value for the money .

TequilaCaster and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bullet pups are really usable from my perspective. I don't understand those who just rip them out without giving them a go. I like these better than my Baja pickups. For me ceramic pickups tend to be more pleasing tone-wise. I do not see AlNiCo as the holy grail, it depends on the individual pickup. Try for yourself, everyone has a sound they are looking for.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    TequilaCaster likes this.
  13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

DSCN1128-2.JPG I got two!

radiocaster and 68Telebass like this.
  14. fender4life

Turns out the place did not have 3 in stock so i didn't go. But now i see there is also a limited edition affinity for $45 more with a alder body which is what i prefer. Anyone know what the other differences are is any between that and the bullet beside the decal?

15. DougM

The Affinity is now a full size body, while the Bullet is thinner, and is a toploader, while the Bullet is string-thru, if it's the same as all the standard current Affinity Teles. It also has a thinner nut, at 40mm, instead of 42mm, and no adjustment screws on the PG for the neck pickup. Also, I wouldn't trust GC as far as it being alder. They are notorious for having the wrong specs. The previous Affinities were alder, but are now poplar. GC still shows alder for the BSB maple neck, and other current Affinity Teles, while Fender's website says poplar.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  16. fender4life

Ahhh, i didn't notice the affinity top loads. Back to the bullet for me....

68Telebass and TequilaCaster like this.
  17. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Yes- but through body with a modern 5-screw bridge. You can’t just drop in a vintage or Wilkinson three saddle compensated bridge without drilling and filling a few holes.
    You CAN drop in six brass saddles- can even get a cheap Chinese set for about $12 though...

18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Lots of unanswerable questions. "Quality tone"? "Hang w/ a CV tonally?" With changed pickups? What PUs? Goiod luck. I would never rely on words and verbal descriptions like this, as the responses are unreliable because they are personal and vague. Change the amp or a few settings, and any of the guitars mentioned her will sound really different. Good luck getting something you like. At this price point, particularly, buying without trying is a gamble. Hope you get lucky.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  19. DougM

All 3 of the Teles in my photo were purchased from MF without trying them, and there was no gamble. They all exceeded my expectations.

20. DougM

Why replace a superior intonating six saddle bridge with a 3 saddle one? It makes about as much sense as replacing your new TV with a B&W one. There have been some innovations since 1950.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.