1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Incredible Sleeper Amp!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bud Martin, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Bud Martin

Bud Martin TDPRI Member

Just thought I'd throw this out there. So many amp choices. So many amps, that over the years, I couldn't get an acceptable tone from. Though some respectable players have used some of them. Anyway, an amp I can recommend with total confidence is the Yamaha G50. They were made in the 80's, and were promoted to have the tonal characteristics of a Fender tube amp. We've all heard the tube simulation and modeling BS. Some often could produce a dirty tube amp sound, but I've still to this day heard a simulated tube sound that was big and clean.

I got this little Yamaha from an ex-girlfriend back in the early 90's. I've turned heads with this amp, and everyone assumed it was a tube amp. I don't use the overdrive channel. It takes pedals really well, and if you like the sound of a 70's silver faced twin, this amp is in the ballpark. It's only 50 watts (they did make a 100-watt version also), so it does need to be mic'ed if you're playing larger venues. I replaced the stock speaker (which sounded good) with the beefiest speaker I could find that was similar to the EV speakers that the 80's Musicman amps had. It did result in more usable output, but is very heavy now. The amp has never been down, and has seen years of consistent use. I also have a rebuilt 70's Twin Reverb, and (another affordable great amp) 80's Peavey Classic VTX. Though there doesn't seem to be a lot Yamaha G50's out there, when I have seen them for sale, they've been really cheap. You can't go wrong with these amps. And they record great also.

Attached Files:

2. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I have an earlier version of that amp. First amp I ever purchased - 1978. Got it along with my SG Special. Great fun amp and they like pedals.

3. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

you are correct. Those are great amps. Just about as good as anything made during that time period.

I borrowed one from a friend and I didnt realize how good it was until I listened to a recording I had made using that amp. It was fantastic.

PhredE likes this.
  4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

That looks like the G50-112.
    Used to own one when they first came out. Nice big clean tones -- very nice!
    I loved mine (sorry I sold it).

IIRC, although entirely analog SS, the big selling line at the time was the JFET-based preamp/distortion.

Hang on to it. They seem to be keeping their resale value up reasonably well, at least around my area.

5. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Hmm, that amp was also listed in the recent "Worst amp ever" thread.

Just goes to show one man's trash is another's treasure.

SnidelyWhiplash, PhredE and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool. A friend of mine as a teenager had one of these. I never saw another one. As a teen you either saved money from a job or your parents got you an amp. Amps generally were expensive items. That Yamaha was bullet proof, and he had it for many years. He was a very talented guitarist as well.

PhredE likes this.
  7. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My first ( stolen) and second amps were G50-112's. ( college band and into the '80's) Terrible 'distortion' control, decent reverb and clean tone.

But my next amp, a Peavey Bandit 65 ( used only the clean channel with a dirt pedal ) blew it away.

9. Bud Martin

Bud Martin TDPRI Member

The Bandit's I've heard and played through sounded nothing like these Yamaha amps. The Bandit was louder if I recall, and I know many folks on this forum seemed to like them, but to me, if you look up small, sterile solid-state guitar amp in the amplifier encyclopedia, there would be a photo of a Bandit. But any time someone can get a usable tone from an affordable amp, I applaud that. They have most likely improved the design since they were first introduced. The earliest ones are the only model I've played through.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Guy brought one of those old SS Yamahas to a jam a few years ago (not sure about the model though). It was a really nice sounding amp.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Got you no matter really This is 40 years ago we just wanted something that made a sound
    All I know is that I like the sound of my Peavey Bandit more than I like the sound of my Yamaha but once again 40 years ago

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I restored an old Yamaha amp for a friend of mine last year. He wanted a surfer vibe to it for the clean tone he was getting. I never got to hear it though, he had someone else who recapped it and worked on the board afterward. I think he got it for nothing because it wasn't working correctly, but he got it all fixed up.

[​IMG]

13. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The G50 is a kick ass clean amp. I used to have the Yamaha 4x10 that I picked up for 100 bucks. Cool amp but it was crazy heavy and I didn't need it at the time. Wish I still had it.

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Anchovies are like that. Yum.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!
    I still see em’ on CL.

16. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

'Sleeper' only recently.
    Those Yamahas, both the 50 and the 100 were very popular with players, especially L.A. session players in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Most notably Steve Lukather used one on a lot of sessions. I had a G100 in the early and mid 80s. Probably paid $60 for it.
    Great jazz guitar amps. Also cool with elec keys and synths.

17. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I had one. It recorded well, and sounded nice playing alone, (if you ignore the distortion) but when playing with a band, it had no punch. Even though it seemed loud enough, it just never seemed to cut through, so I sold it. Got a decent price for it, too.

18. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I like how it looks.

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I tried a first-gen G50-112 a few years ago and loved it. Great clean; I didn’t want to stop playing!

The distortion was in fact pretty weird, but I think weird distortion is fun to have as an option for certain things. Wish I’d bought it...

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

My teacher usually has one or two of those lying around. He can find them cheap and flip them to students for a good price. I’ve only played through for a lesson or two, but they sounded pretty good to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.