Incomprehensible live music...?

martinlb

Tele-Meister
Musicians are the harshest critics of other musicians. It's an incontrovertible fact.

My wife helps me keep a grip on reality. "You're not up there", she tells me, "so have a night off".

She's usually right.
Yeah, that's something I try to remind myself of whem I start feeling like picking someone/something apart. They're up on stage. I'm not.

martinlb

Tele-Meister
True, true. We played at a birthday party for a concert pianist. She was genuinely amazed that we were able to play hours and hours of music without having sheet music in front of us.
How do you stop a keyboardist from playing?
Take away his sheet music.

How do you stop a (rock) guitarist from playing?

Put a piece of sheet music in front of him.

martinlb

Tele-Meister
I began playing acoustic guitar in late 1978. By 1981, I was doing solo acoustic gigs, yes indeed. I was still a definite hack, but I didn’t care.

I found a local joint that had just started offering live entertainment (I think they were testing the waters). They were not paying, except for free beers, and I liked beer! I became one of their “regulars”, so to speak.

I played there once a week for almost a year. If I would have sucked so badly, I’m sure someone would have told me, and I would have been asked not to return.

This place was where I cut my teeth, in terms of playing solo acoustic gigs. Some people clapped, and some people didn’t. I never, ever had anyone come up and disparage my playing. I had a few who said that they liked my music.

I guess I’m hard-skinned in the fact that, I don’t really give two hoots whether or not you like what I play!

My secret is to play with all the heart and soul that you can muster, then everything else just falls in place. If that makes any sense.
A friend of mine once gave what I think is a great analysis of the main difference in bands.

Some are performers, playing what they think people will want to hear - like wedding bands.

Some are artists, playing what they feel. People who connect with them will do so and others don't matter.

Every time I've been in a band I've hated it when someone says something like "People really love this song; we should play it."

I have never wanted to play anything I didn't love.

Sgt Pepper

Tele-Meister
I love the energy when a crowd responds well to the music. Many a song I didn’t like before that I became fond of in that way. I personally think few musicians are artists anyway, in the context of actual art, I mean.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Y'know, I have NO idea what "Wagon Wheel" sounds like. Maybe I'd recognize it if I heard it, but...
Yikes. It's in the top ten most overplayed bar and open-mic songs, along with "Smoke On the Stairway to Freebird" and "Angel from Margaritaville."

You are hereby ordered to Google it, listen to it, and figure out how to forget it.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
A friend of mine once gave what I think is a great analysis of the main difference in bands.

Some are performers, playing what they think people will want to hear - like wedding bands.

Some are artists, playing what they feel. People who connect with them will do so and others don't matter. . . .
Your friend missed one: Some are people who play what's fun.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks. Honestly I don't recognize it, but it sounds like any number of "I'm on the road and miss my baby" songs to me and is in and of itself inoffensive. I did pick up that Darius Rucker issued a cover which "ruined" it for a number of people. LOL!
Yup. I used to play with a guy who thought Darius wrote it. I said, "Darius who?"

Seems like we all live in opaque bubbles these days.

Disclaimer: I hate that song!

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I'd put that under what they like.
You can, fer sher. Fair enuff. I didn't and don't, because:

(a) I don't attempt to do justice to lots of songs I love: "China Cat Sunflower," "Two Trains Running," "Simple Twist of Fate," and plenty more, and

(b) there are songs I don't love that I still have a great time playing: "Wagon Wheel," "Mustang Sally," "Hey, Joe," "Unknown Legend," and plenty more.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Musicians are the harshest critics of other musicians. It's an incontrovertible fact.

My wife helps me keep a grip on reality. "You're not up there", she tells me, "so have a night off".

She's usually right.
Yep. I also sometimes don’t have a filter. Sometimes that’s funny, other times it’s not so much.

I remember being out with my wife and seeing a band play that I’d been invited to check out. They were awful. I mean just awful. And WAY too loud for the little bar they were in. Sure enough the guy that invited me sees me, and asks over the mic if I want to sit in and play a couple.

So did I politely decline and say something like “Thanks, but it’s my night off.” Or “I appreciate the offer, but I came to hear you guys.”?

No. No I did not. What I did was think to myself “what the hell are you saying?” as “Good god, no!” Came out of my mouth while my wife looked on in horror and disbelief. It just flew out before I could stop it. A lot of people laughed. The band did not.