Incoming Small PA, Yamaha EMX2, EV-ZX1 8", EV-ZXA1-Sub 12"

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by newminglewoodblue, Sep 20, 2020.

1. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

My wife moved some crap out of the music studio giving me more room to play. I poke around a little at Ableton Live, & Audacity, but mostly I program drum and bass tracks on my Alesis SR-18 & push that noise thru a low end but fun & functional phonic 410 amp & Seismic Audio 8" 2 way speakers. Speakers are bolted to the wall, and when I drive them hard enough to hear the bass & kick THE ENTIRE HOUSE VIBRATES & PAINTINGS ON THE WALL RATTLE (that's the wife yelling, not me). When I was shopping around, my first priority was a plug and play subwoofer. The Yamaha EMX2 makes it easy with a dedicated Subwoofer out jack, which when in use cuts the low frequencies to L/R output & sends them to a powered subwoofer. The Yamaha arrived today, and hooked up to the Seismic Audio is already a nice improvement. The Seismic Audio speakers are within the realm of decent for what they are imho. My room is small (it's a bedroom!), so this is extreme overkill (which I love!). This system should allow me to play small venues when the pandemic concludes. I'll post pictures when everything is set up. On a side note, I was lucky enough to find mint demo floor models on everything & saved a boat load. The speakers are coming from djnow on Reverb about $100 off per speaker, I lowballed the seller of the minty mixer & he jumped on it, saving about $150, & the sub is an open box coming from GC at about $175 off the normal. I haven't mentioned to my wife how much I saved... She really doesn't care and is happy for me (I think).

telestratosonic and studio like this.
  2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

If you can I would highly suggest getting your speakers away from the walls.

Decoupling all speakers from walls and floor will give you a more accurate
    representation from your speakers and less yelling, less broom handle
    pounding from other rooms!

I would love to see pics of your room full of gear and in the near future some
    awesome recordings coming from your home rig. have fun!

3. newminglewoodblue

I appreciate your input, and agree. I recently got a stand for my guitar amp (1X12 Mesa Rectoverb 25) and am very happy with that. I also removed speakers from wall that shares living room wall and placed them across room and backing into the garage. Space is limited, so on wall mount brackets, slightly tilted forward, just above my head. I'm hoping the subwoofer will give me enough oomph on the bottom end without having to drive the mids & highs too much. I'll get some pics up.

4. newminglewoodblue

The incoming subwoofer will replace the girlie night stand, and new EV ZX1 8" speakers coming too. Sort of crammed in there, but all is at my fingertips while my guitar is around my neck. Strap locks essential, I can make alot of noise in a tight space. I may move the guitar amp to the other wall, but now, at lowish volumes, I can hear everything well. The shelfs to house the CD collection was the other big deal.

Attached Files:

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Cool pics!

You seem to have that power room down!

How do you plan on recording your guitars?
    Mic in front of amp or recording out from the back of the amp?

Those wall mounted speakers put out some power.
    They might be great for rehearsals but I'm not too sure about
    mixing with them. after all, this is a recording forum.....

Good stuff though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.