Incoming - Open-Box Custom Shop 1952 Telecaster NOS with 10/56 V

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by MarkF786, Apr 6, 2020.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 TDPRI Member

I had been looking at some of Stratosphere's listings on eBay and kept coming back to a series of bodies and necks that he parted from a series of "LTD 52 Telecaster NOS" Custom Shop guitars, all ordered for Manchester Music Mill (in NH, nearby Stratosphere). All of them have 10/56 "V" necks .875" - .951", which is a neck I've been wanting. I picked a fully loaded body, along with the neck with the best grain and tint. If I wanted to, I could have picked the neck that matched the body's build sheet, but I didn't like that one as much.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=143570111487

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=362946563068

Buying the fully loaded body along with the neck & tuners, the total was only $2300 for a complete guitar, which seemed like an unusually good deal. Granted, it doesn't include the case, but that's only another $200. I couldn't find anything comparable for a similar price, not even used (and finding the 10/56 V neck is rare). Anything similar new seemed to cost $3250 - $4000.

It makes sense that normally Stratosphere would sell the the sum of the parts for more that it costs to buy the guitar new, but I'm baffled by this deal. He must have gotten a run of Custom Shop guitars for a good price. I keep wondering if there's a catch I'm missing.

Hopefully the guitar arrives safely and there are no unforeseen issues. Fingers crossed.

Mark

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

That's certainly a lot to pay for a partscaster, but if it's got the elements you know you want it may indeed be perfect for you! I'd be a bit concerned about buying without test-driving, but hopefully they've got a good return policy just in case. I really hope it works out and you enjoy for years to come.

3. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

I've put together two CS guitars from them. The strat was based on the build sheet/matching numbers. It had everything I wanted, so it was perfect. For the tele I chose a different CS neck from the same run. (Maple instead of rosewood.) The numbers don't match on that one but I don't care. (Have to take it apart to check them.) Still 100% CS. Saved a ton of cash and got what I wanted. I bought CS cases from them when they went on sale. Good luck with yours!

MarkF786 likes this.
  4. MarkF786

MarkF786 TDPRI Member

I'm don't really consider it a partscaster since it's a fully assembled guitar, with necks swapped from like models. Rather than an "expensive partscaster", I see it as an "inexpensive Custom Shop".

Yeah, buying any guitar untested is always a gamble - and now has become the norm since even my local Sam Ash and Guitar Center have very poor selections. Luckily Stratosphere does seem to have a good return policy, allowing returns for any reason. I'd just lose the shipping costs.

Before pulling the trigger on this, I had considered a couple other options:

- American Original 50s Telecaster - I prefer a V neck though, and possibly the CS is of higher quality.
    - Placing an order with the Custom Shop - it would be much more expensive, and I'd have to wait a while. Maybe I'll do that if I'm impressed with the quality of this CS. For that guitar, I'd go with a rosewood fretboard, and a 60s color with double-binding, or maybe sparkle finish.

Mark

Paulie13 and Paulie_Boy like this.
  5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

I consider mine CS guitars that were shipped with the necks removed. (The way they should be shipped.) All I did was bolt on the necks & add strings. They're selling for nearly $4k each on Sweetwater. I paid $4,400 for both and I'm tickled! That's like buying one and getting a second for $500.

yojimbo likes this.
  6. MarkF786

MarkF786 TDPRI Member

The two halves of the guitar arrived today in minty condition. I attached the neck, put on a set of strings, and spent about an hour fine-tuning the setup - and this guitar kicks a**! The 10/56 “V” quartersawn neck is amazing! It’s very solid, has a great resonance, and has a great feel. It reminds me of the neck on a D’Pergo AVC I used to own. I’m half tempted to buy another one of these necks! I need to find one for my Strat.

Overall, I think indeed this was a great deal.

Erebia and VillainSean like this.
  7. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Enjoy!

8. bukowski

bukowski Tele-Meister

good to hear it worked out for you ....Ive been eye balling parts from Statoshere for a while

9. gio19

gio19 TDPRI Member

I have that neck on my Nocaster. Love it. I’d love to find one with a rosewood board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.