Incoming NGD... should be fun!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The wife strikes again...

Saw this pop up this morning and thought for the price, it might be a lot of fun. I wouldn’t have ever ponied up the normal $1k for it, but mentioned that for half price, it might be a really cool piece to have around. Especially since I don’t already have a semi hollow. A little while later the email showing order confirmation popped up in my phone. Early Christmas present. She’s a keeper. Hope the guitar is, too. Helps that she’s as big a Dead fan as I am!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-grateful-dead-dc-open-box-red-white-and-blue

2. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That is a really cool looking guitar. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

You will love it.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Cool wife and cool guitar!

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, she's a keeper alright and the semi hollow ought to be too. It will be interesting to get your impressions of it.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Man … I wish that I had a wife !

P Thought and Jakedog like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Careful what you wish for, tery.....they're not all like Jake's. ;)

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yes,...you have to be very lucky to find a rare - "pro-GAS" wife. They exist but sightings are infrequent and they are never available for long. I count myself fortunate to have a mere "GAS-tolerant" version of the species.
    I played the plain blue version of that a while back, I really liked it. Nice score!

9. Jakedog

She’s a pretty good one. It helps that these aren’t toys, it’s my job. But still...

I actually wasn’t in the market for anything, and wasn’t expecting to get anything. It’s not like this happens on the regular. We’d seen this guitar a couple years back at a booth outside a Dead and Co. show. We both thought it was pretty cool. I didn’t think it was $1k worth of cool... truthfully for that money, I had my eye on the Ibanez Scofield model.

I just saw this come up on close out for half price and mentioned that for that, it would be totally worth it. And now it’s out for delivery!

She’s practical as well. When I told her I really wasn’t asking for another guitar, just making conversation, she said “we needed another expense to write off anyhow, you had a good year.” I’ll take it!

10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Elvis and Evil Knievil design

Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Jakedog

It’s here. Really nice guitar. After my preferred strings and a quick cursory setup, I gotta say I like it a lot.

First impressions-

Its very well put together. Fit and finish are excellent. Frets are very well finished and totally level. Neck straight as anybody could ask for, right out of the box. The nut is a little sharp on the corners, I’ll dress em down a little. But it seems well cut, and doesn’t bind or stick at all. The guitar stays in tune very well.

Corners were cut on the hardware to meet a price point. The bridge and tuners are just “ok”. They’ll do for now, but the guitar deserves better, and they won’t last long term. They’ll get replaced when it’s convenient.

Switch is a quality open unit, not the typical cheap import box switch. Can’t see the pots, but they feel good and operate very smoothly. Pickups are adequate in the living room. I’ll know a lot more about them after I use them on the gig tonite. I’m gonna give them a fair shake before I go digging through my parts stash.

In today’s world, I can see easily how this would be a $1k guitar. For the $500 close out price, it’s an absolute steal.

I took the pickguard off immediately. That big piece of black plastic interrupting this cool paint job was like a billboard obscuring a really cool view. It looks much better without it.

The gig bag isn’t anything to write home about. It’s ok, but I don’t trust it. I’ll just use it til I can grab a better one.

That’s the basics. I’ll know more after I use it on a few gigs. But right off the bat, I gotta say I like it!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Nice! Congrats!

Jakedog likes this.
  13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I’ve always been curious if D’Angelico guitars are as good as I want them to be in my mind. They look fantastic and pretty affordable. Are they the ones that are made in Kalamazoo by the ex-Gibson guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

No, the guys in Kalamazoo at Heritage did ghost build real D'Angelico New Yorkers in the 90's. Those are pretty expensive though.

For $500, not bad.

And obviously these are not by any means traditionally built in terms of the former domestic end of the brand.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Hah! What drove me back to TDPRI after time away? Mrs. German said “you should buy yourself a nice guitar next year for your 60th birthday.” I don’t need another. I just got rid of one last year, and I’m thinking of letting another go. But nooooo...

BTW, that’s a nice looking guitar, Jakedog. I would love to find out for myself how those D’Angelicos play.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

My fiancé always points that guitar out when we go to guitar center. She wants me to buy it for her even know she doesn’t care to learn. I think she’s crazy, but that’s why I keep her

Jakedog likes this.
  17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Great wife and very nice guitar, congrats!

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Some pics of the actual guitar in question:

EEF2A440-1E5E-4BF8-80BE-904D02138482.jpeg 7CBE3305-14EB-4E3E-845D-71220AC34202.jpeg 2DA3E877-11DB-4C29-A07D-D08A476EBEC4.jpeg FB68EE44-6401-4867-B2F7-05BA220A05FA.jpeg

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thang looks like it's going 100 mph just standing there!

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.