Incoming NBD…

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
For a jam nite bass, a Squier Affinity Series Precision Bass is too good for 'em.

I've never had one but from what I've seen of Squires from the members here, they might easily out class the MIMs.
I have several MIMs and can't recall any deal breakers. The Baja was a boat anchor but got for 400 bucks at local GC on clearance 10 or 11 years ago.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Well it’s here. And it’s going back. MIM “quality” strikes again.

The nut is cut so far off center I have no idea how this thing passed QC. And there is too much relief in the neck to really get it to play nicely, yet the truss rod is completely maxed out. Won’t turn at all.

Here’s a pic of the atrocious nut job-

View attachment 934912
Credit where it’s due: The color is beautiful, and the finish is absolutely flawless. Pickups are very solidly mounted, and the routes are tight. Everything fits together very well. I’d be tempted to keep it and put a new nut on it myself, but the truss rod/neck issue makes it a non-starter.

I’m really done for good now. No more MIM Fenders. Ever. I’ve never gotten a “good one”. And I’ve given them so many chances it’s not even funny.

No Helen Keller jokes but that nut spacing is butt uggy and no rod adjustment? NO SOUP 2 MONTHS!!!!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've never had one but from what I've seen of Squires from the members here, they might easily out class the MIMs.
I have several MIMs and can't recall any deal breakers. The Baja was a boat anchor but got for 400 bucks at local GC on clearance 10 or 11 years ago.
I’ve never seen or owned a single Squier that even came close to the worst MIM models I’ve had. Even my CV’s, which everyone raves about, were pretty much junk.

Edit: Okay, there was one. Just one. It was an early Jagmaster. And it was awesome. Pickups and electronics were garbage, but the bones were excellent. I actually miss that guitar. Fair is fair.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
No soup ever. Banned for life. Lol.

That sucks- pretty bass, but…the goop and the abrasions on the low E side at the first fret look hideous- and that nut….Really???

Glad your sending that one back.

Your Main is a Jazz Ultra? I think you should look at one of these for a “second” and a jam space bass-
F6A7CEAD-DFE7-4EEE-A26C-BAD64C003272.jpeg

Squier HAS probably surpassed MIM in a few areas- I’ve got a Squier Jaguar longscale bass that I really like.

Best thing about these other than the price, is it will give you a different sound should you wish it- a P-Bass is NEVER a bad thing to have- that 70s one looks cool- and has the maple fretboard with block inlays- Sweet!!

The 50s P in vintage blond is the Bomb- Anyone would LOVE to give that a try at a jam!!

Best thing with the Squier? Feel free to throw in a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio into it!

It will be a win-win. If you have your heart set on a Jazzer- see if any of the Squier 60s CV Jazz Bass in Daphne Blue are still available… :cool: I’d love one of those…:oops:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That sucks- pretty bass, but…the goop and the abrasions on the low E side at the first fret look hideous- and that nut….Really???

Glad your sending that one back.

Your Main is a Jazz Ultra? I think you should look at one of these for a “second” and a jam space bass- View attachment 935412

Squier HAS probably surpassed MIM in a few areas- I’ve got a Squier Jaguar longscale bass that I really like.

Best thing about these other than the price, is it will give you a different sound should you wish it- a P-Bass is NEVER a bad thing to have- that 70s one looks cool- and has the maple fretboard with block inlays- Sweet!!

The 50s P in vintage blond is the Bomb- Anyone would LOVE to give that a try at a jam!!

Best thing with the Squier? Feel free to throw in a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio into it!

It will be a win-win. If you have your heart set on a Jazzer- see if any of the Squier 60s CV Jazz Bass in Daphne Blue are still available… :cool: I’d love one of those…:oops:
Thanks for the input, but after the three CV instruments I’ve owned, I won’t be having another of those either. Maybe I just expect more from my instruments than the average bear, but I cannot figure out how or why people are so impressed with these things.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the input, but after the three CV instruments I’ve owned, I won’t be having another of those either. Maybe I just expect more from my instruments than the average bear, but I cannot figure out how or why people are so impressed with these things.

I think the ability to grab a ground floor guitar or bass for under 500 appeals to a bunch of us hobbyists and younger players.

there was nothing approaching these 30-40 years ago when I was psyched to get my Sears catalog Jazz bass for Christmas in 1979. :cool:. 10W amp and patch cord as well. ;)

If your close to brick and mortar you may be able to check some out in person.