Incoming NBD…

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
It’s bad. It’s not even that they’re not bright enough *for me*. They’re seriously like rubber bands that got left out in the sun for a year. Just completely and totally dead. I know guy who’s had the same set of flat wounds on his P bass since 1976. His strings have more zing than my rounds after a jam night. I seriously can gig a couple times a week for probably a month. And be totally happy with my bass strings for that long before I start thinking I need new ones. But with other people playing them? I have no idea what these dudes are doing, but holy hell.

My uncle used to boil his bass strings and restring. Thought he was crazy until other bass players admitted to doing it when they couldn't afford new strings.

I can't reccomend it on pizza grease strings though, it'd probably liven them up and absorb the smell permanently......

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
“The dirt keeps the funk.”

—James Jamerson

*I suspect he was only referring to his own dirt, not the dirt of random strangers.

*song title alert: The Dirt of Random Strangers
I hate funked up strings.

All respect to James, and The Funk Machine. I love every note of every line that dude ever played. It’s art of the highest order. But if I had to play using his tone, I’d just quit.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I hate funked up strings.

All respect to James, and The Funk Machine. I love every note of every line that dude ever played. It’s art of the highest order. But if I had to play using his tone, I’d just quit.
You and me both. I’ve never wrapped my head around the fact that guitar players often try to score points by bragging about how often they change strings, and bass players try to score points by how rarely (if ever) they change strings. Yeah, bass strings last longer, but they get funkified whether you wipe/boil/clean them or not. And frankly, if they’re older than your pets and children, it’s time. It’s time.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You and me both. I’ve never wrapped my head around the fact that guitar players often try to score points by bragging about how often they change strings, and bass players try to score points by how rarely (if ever) they change strings. Yeah, bass strings last longer, but they get funkified whether you wipe/boil/clean them or not. And frankly, if they’re older than your pets and children, it’s time. It’s time.
I handle it this way- I change my bass strings every time I change my underwear. Once a month. Whether I think they need it or not.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Looking forward to hearing your impression of the Player Jazz Bass. I've been thinking of getting a Player series bass to replace my old mid 80s Ibanez Roadstar II bass.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looking forward to hearing your impression of the Player Jazz Bass. I've been thinking of getting a Player series bass to replace my old mid 80s Ibanez Roadstar II bass.
From what I remember of 80’s Roadstar basses, I’d say it would most likely be a step down in quality to go MIM. Those things were really great. But they are getting a little long in the tooth. I’ll let you know what I think of the Player, for sure.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
First, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the new bass. We all know you don't buy inferior stuff, and if you acquire something that doesn't fit you, it soon makes room for something that does.

Now second: just ick.

Who in hell doesn't make sure their hands are reasonably clean before playing an instrument, especially one that belongs to someone else????

Food grease is the absolute worst.

Sorry, dirty hands and guitars don't mix in my opinion.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
From what I remember of 80’s Roadstar basses, I’d say it would most likely be a step down in quality to go MIM. Those things were really great. But they are getting a little long in the tooth. I’ll let you know what I think of the Player, for sure.

Yeah it's not a bad bass at all, I believe it was made in Japan which usually means a higher degree of quality than MIM guitars. My main issue with it is that it's a dual humbucker design and I prefer the traditional fender single coil and split coil bass pickups.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yeah it's not a bad bass at all, I believe it was made in Japan which usually means a higher degree of quality than MIM guitars. My main issue with it is that it's a dual humbucker design and I prefer the traditional fender single coil and split coil bass pickups.
Now that, I can understand.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
First, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the new bass. We all know you don't buy inferior stuff, and if you acquire something that doesn't fit you, it soon makes room for something that does.

Now second: just ick.

Who in hell doesn't make sure their hands are reasonably clean before playing an instrument, especially one that belongs to someone else????

Food grease is the absolute worst.

Sorry, dirty hands and guitars don't mix in my opinion.
I’m not defending anyone, but some people just can’t help it. My brother is one. That dude could wash his hands 172 times a day and he would still destroy strings and leave everything grimy. It’s just his chemistry.

I think part of it is that. And the other part is that some of these people are just gross.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh man, I love this!!

:)

jazz-bass-player-mex-pf-hd-160410.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh man, I love this!!

:)

jazz-bass-player-mex-pf-hd-160410.jpg
It would not have been my first choice. But my wife put up the cash for it. She’ll be getting it all back. But when she facilitates an unplanned purchase, it’s customary for me to let her pick the color. She picked silver. I would have preferred a maple fretboard, but I’m fine with it. Especially since it won’t be my main bass.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well it’s here. And it’s going back. MIM “quality” strikes again.

The nut is cut so far off center I have no idea how this thing passed QC. And there is too much relief in the neck to really get it to play nicely, yet the truss rod is completely maxed out. Won’t turn at all.

Here’s a pic of the atrocious nut job-

04179FAD-4CE0-4891-875C-B0B9D7BB9EE5.jpeg

Credit where it’s due: The color is beautiful, and the finish is absolutely flawless. Pickups are very solidly mounted, and the routes are tight. Everything fits together very well. I’d be tempted to keep it and put a new nut on it myself, but the truss rod/neck issue makes it a non-starter.

I’m really done for good now. No more MIM Fenders. Ever. I’ve never gotten a “good one”. And I’ve given them so many chances it’s not even funny.