Incoming NBD…

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Just ordered it tonite. A Player Series Jazz bass in silver.

I currently only own one bass. My 2018 American Elite Jazz. It’s hands down the best bass I’ve ever owned. It’s just amazing in every conceivable way.

Once a week I host a jam nite, however, and too many other people are playing it. I’m tired of getting it back totally greasy, and with the strings completely destroyed. I’ve spent $100 in the last five weeks changing the strings every single week because these guys just ruin them. A set of strings last me at least a month, usually longer. At the end of the night that bass is just so… gross. It’s sometimes gag-worthy. People are yucky. But enough about that.

I decided to pick up a dedicated jam night bass. I won’t care how greasy it gets or how dead the strings are, cause it’s the jammer’s bass. They can deal with it, or bring their own.

If I was buying strictly for myself I would have spent more and gotten something nicer. But I figure this should be a good, solid, jam night bass. I haven’t played an MIM bass in several years, but folks are telling me the new player series is quite a step up from the old stuff. I guess we’ll see.

Pics and review coming when it arrives.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looking forward to pics and review. My 11-1/2 pound jazzer needs to be replaced. Anybody that says basswood is light has never strapped mine on.
11.5?!? Yikes. Got this one from Sweetwater. So I got to pick which one I wanted. Since solid colors all look the same I went for the lightest one. 9lbs 6ozs. Seems reasonable for a J bass. I’m pretty sure my Elite is around that much.

Also worked out that the lightest one had the darkest fretboard. Much more brown like rosewood and less red like some of the other Pao Ferro boards.

Edit: Looked at my order again. It’s 8bs 6ozs, not 9. Even better.

Last edited:

srblue5

Tele-Holic
Nice!

I hear ya on a dedicated jam instrument. I used to hate when my guitar would make the rounds at band practice or jams and come back in a greasy condition. This is why I don’t bring my absolute favourite (or sentimental favourites) to jams.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Never cared for the sound. Can’t do flats, either. Although I guess if this is a dedicated jam night bass I can put whatever will take the most abuse on there. I’ll be playing my Elite.
I hear you. They last tho. Maybe a coated set like elixer? ( I detest coated strings, but you aren’t me)

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nice!

I hear ya on a dedicated jam instrument. I used to hate when my guitar would make the rounds at band practice or jams and come back in a greasy condition. This is why I don’t bring my absolute favourite (or sentimental favourites) to jams.
Probably the best idea. And I’ve always adhered to that with guitars. But I’ve always been a one bass kind of guy. Even though it was my first instrument really, and I’ve played it my whole life, I’ve very rarely ever owned more than one at a time. I tend to find one I really like and stick with it. For some reason that just doesn’t work with guitars… I always end up with piles of them laying all over the house.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
A set of strings last me at least a month, usually longer.

Really? I have one bass that has had its round wound strings for over 20 YEARS. It sounds great. My Ovation Magnum (who doesn't get out much) has had the same strings since 1988. I don't play with greasy fingers, though...

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Can’t wait to see the new Jazzer.

Flats last forever, and Rotosounds 88 black tapewounds have enough zing maybe to do OK for your tone.

these…
38EDE5DF-79E5-46E7-9762-CC3999CB5B7A.jpeg

Just get the long scale set. Lol

I agree that if you like roundwounds, and change them often, then pizza and jam night passing around WILL kill them weekly. :oops:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Can’t wait to see the new Jazzer.

Flats last forever, and Rotosounds 88 black tapewounds have enough zing maybe to do OK for your tone.

these…
View attachment 933650

Just get the long scale set. Lol

I agree that if you like roundwounds, and change them often, then pizza and jam night passing around WILL kill them weekly. :oops:
It’s bad. It’s not even that they’re not bright enough *for me*. They’re seriously like rubber bands that got left out in the sun for a year. Just completely and totally dead. I know guy who’s had the same set of flat wounds on his P bass since 1976. His strings have more zing than my rounds after a jam night. I seriously can gig a couple times a week for probably a month. And be totally happy with my bass strings for that long before I start thinking I need new ones. But with other people playing them? I have no idea what these dudes are doing, but holy hell.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
It's called guitar etiquette. Hand me your guitar and when I give it back it will be in the same condition,at a jam somebody has a rag in their case and if you have a tendency to smear up an instrument you need to give it a quick wipe down before returning it. Otherwise, bring your own.
Some people are clueless. I've had more than one knucklehead get an attitude when I'd tell them to lose the jean jacket before trying out a few thousand dollar Martin. ( the copper buttons do nothing good to the finish) That was in a store, not a jam but same idea.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
A set of strings last me at least a month, usually longer. At the end of the night that bass is just so… gross. It’s sometimes gag-worthy. People are yucky.

I could not tolerate that. Other peoples funk is a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate filth.

Bass = 8 years old and remains completely "unreliced".

bass.jpg

Strings = Yep...8 years old and like new-ish. This miracle achieved by simply not being nasty and an occasional wiping off.

strings.jpg

Last edited:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I commend @Jakedog , someone finally got it right

THIS is how you do a thread like this the key word is “incoming”

So many people sabotage their own New guitar day by making a thread before it arrives, completely takes away the impact of their second “it’s arrived!” Thread

So notes to take

1. “Incoming” is key
2.no pictures (wait till you have it in hand)

Right on jakedog