Incoming NAD.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, May 13, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have several releases. Maybe six? A few of them are on my website. gsharper.com

thunderbyrd and blowtorch like this.
  2. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I’ll check it out

Jakedog likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Congrats! This amp is on my radar!

lets say I have my bandmates, and there are two guitarists at any given time. We’re all mic’ed. Im using this, and the other guitarist will use either a Blues Jr, an AC30 or a Fender Hot Rod Deville. Can this amp hang with those amps? Clean-ish?

4. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I was going to ask why you went with the Origin20 vs the 50, but I saw that you said you were also considering also buying the 50.

I've been thinking about a head model.

Nice review, thanks!

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to ask a dumb question...what is a DV Mark?

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

DV Mark is the guitar amp division of Markbass. They seem to be flailing, and possibly failing. Which is a crying shame, because their amps are just plain badass.

I’ve been playing an FGC121 (Frank Gambale sig model) for the last three years or so. As my only amp for every gig, big or small, indoors or out. It’s a 120 watt analog SS 1X12 combo that weighs 23 lbs, and has never had the master turned past 9 o’clock, even on large outdoor festival stages. It also sounds great at whisper volumes. Two channels, one clean, one dirty. They both have their own independent eq sections, as well as their own independent gains and masters. It’s a damned near perfect amplifier on paper, and sounds incredible.

Unfortunately most guitarists are idiots, and didn’t want to pay $550 for a solid state amp they’d never heard of, so it was discontinued almost immediately. Also unfortunately, DV Mark are idiots, and made deal with MF/GC so that those guys are the only US dealers, and they don’t stock them in stores at all, so nobody can try them out.

If they had a real dealership network I’m 100% convinced they’d be one of the biggest amp names in North America. But you can’t find em, you can’t try em, and being SS that’s a double kiss of death. But y’all can have mine when you can pry it from my cold, dead, hands.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    blowtorch and Rufus like this.
  7. Jakedog

Man that’s really impossible to answer. I would say for sure if y’all like to play loud, then there’s no way in hell it’ll keep up with a DeVille or AC30 for clean headroom. I don’t know if it’ll do blues jr or not, but I know that no matter what it’s doing, clean or dirty, I think it sounds a helluva lot better than a blues JR.

Take that for what it’s worth though. I really don’t care for the sound of most fender amps. I know, around these parts that’s sacrilege, but I am who I am. I like em ok much of the time when other people play them, but they really aren’t my cup of tea.

8. dreamingtele

Thanks for this man, I'm just trying to get the best option.. I dont like the Blues Jr either and I loved my Classic 30, but I'm looking for something different than the usual Fender, Vox amps.. and not quite have the money for boutiques like Mesa, etc..

All the volumes of the amps are set to 3.5-4.. any louder than that the sound guy comes in and starts to turn everyone's amps down without us looking.. I was just mainly looking to get into that zone, volume-wise.. and if it can hang at that volume with those amps, I think I know what I'm demo-ing once everything is open in my part of the world..

If you have P90's equipped guitar, does it push that amp and how long can you hold the cleans before it starts breaking up? Volume around 4? 5?

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have an Origin 20 and gig an AC30....I would say that it would get close......but it would be close. Depending on what your version of clean is etc.

If you play live out and gig I would probably say the 50 is more likely to be more flexible for you. Considering how good the power scaling works on the 20 and presuming it carries over to the 50 and from what I have read it supposedly does. The 50 combo also has a 12" so that would also play more to what you want...

EDITED: Just wanted to say to Jakedog, great review. Really nailed it.

A couple of points I would differ on from my mostly home playing. I haven't band practiced or gigged mine yet but I have zero fears in doing so. Mostly clean is my default as I use a Helix as a pedal board and is always with a bit of crunch in a Marshal clean kind of sense.

- Im not so sure the bass response is great at truly lower bedroom volumes but is certainly acceptable. Turniong up to 3+ brings it in nicely. Could be a physics thing....

- The power scaling for home use is fantastic.

- Re the brightness, Your right it truly does not lack headroom in the brightness stakes. BUT unlike my other amps where I find the tone turned all the way down or the bass all the way up....(Marshall Class 5 Bass OFF, Marshall SL5 Bass 100% ON) it has a great balance to compensate for rooms or mix as required.

- The tilt function works amazingly well.

- I differ in opinion on the boost function at the home volumes I have played it with (often pretty loud though)...I almost always have the boost engaged, I personally think it sounds better, fuller with it out (on).

- Im a sometimes gigging player and Jakedog is an always gigging player so there will no doubt be differences of opinion purely from that regard aside from personal taste.

Hope that helps future purchasers.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

Thanks @Mad Kiwi .. I'm a clean player by default, but recently just been thinking of downsizing more and getting the amp to work harder and get that edge of break up thing without being like an engaged Overdrive wtih very little gain kind of sound.. and just play with the volume of my guitar and use one boost on my board if I want to goose it further.

I play in church, and we're all mic'ed.. Im just looking to see if the 20c is already okay for mic'ed tones and cleans in terms of volume..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.