1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Incoming Conversion

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by electroman, Mar 8, 2021.

1. electroman

electroman TDPRI Member

s-l1600.jpg

Bell & Howell Filmosound amp. The EF37 in the corner, the tube coated in red lead, is the British equivalent to a 6J7; just a beautiful sounding preamp tube. My amp tech, Dave Robinson, in Georgetown, Ontario, does a fantastic job converting these. Luckily, this one runs on 110 volts.

emisilly, Mouth, 2L man and 3 others like this.
  2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Nice.

I spent some time in Georgetown many years ago, but didn't get into the local music scene.

I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to get around in a town that was laid out in a triangle!

3. electroman

electroman TDPRI Member

I know what you mean. I go there to see my amp tech, but if I had to find anything else I'd have to use a GPS. It's kind of an out-of-the way town, but Dave Robinson builds some great amps. His brother owns Eastwood Guitars. (Airline, etc.) This will be my second Filmosound conversion. Most people configure these to sound like mini Marshals or high gain Vox amps, but Dave does mine like Fender tweeds. He spent a LOT of time developing the tonal shaping capacity with just a volume and single tone control. I know there's been a lot of talk about the original 'Bernie" amps, but he only converted a dozen or so, and Dave's sound much better, although I guess that's a matter of taste. I can't wait to start gigging again so I can crank these jobbies up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.