Incoming AP With Neck 'Bucker – Discussion of Mods

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireOK, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:51 AM.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Hello,

I have an incoming American Performer Tele Humbucker in the gorgeous Aubergine color.

It a-lookie like-a diss-here:

apqiygbgyom1mcyf1oz2.png

I love it as is, but my plan for this model has always been a Bob Bain inspired setup: neck humbucker with B16 vibrato and shim.

Always imagined a DiMarzio PAF style humbucker (if I didn't dig the stock one) – a P.A.F. Master neck model, maybe. But now I'm really considering a new Fender CuNiFe Wide Range pickup or a Mojotone '72 Clone ($70 cheaper than the Fender). I think the tone of a threaded-magnet-polepiece WRHB would be a better option to work along with the stock bridge pickup.

I'm not stuck on making it exactly like Bob Bain's setup. It's not a "tribute" – just "inspired by." I just want a B16 and a neck humbucker of some sort. And no, I don't mind routing for the larger WRHB.

So what say ye? I'd be interested to hear how you all would go for the neck slot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:00 AM
    hemingway and Cali Dude like this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

CuNiFe all the way. That guitar is screaming for it.

3. EsquireOK

P.S. I should add that I might be trying the Area Hot T bridge pickup in this guitar. I like the Yosemite pickup fine, but I've wanted to try out the DiMarzio for a while now. Matching it up with a neck humbucker might be the perfect use for it.

4. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure the wide range is larger, so you're going to need to mod the pickguard. They also have a two hole treble side adjustment. So your pickguard would then in turn have three holes treble side.

Just a thought.

5. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Play the new pickup first? You may like it!

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

I had one...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/an-hs-tele-with-blend.1048845/#post-10108232

7. EsquireOK

Yes. It’s getting a different guard anyhow.

I always do! And I have played a few examples of this exact model, but in different colors. It sounds fine as stock, but I have something else in mind.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  8. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I hear you. I really dig the looks of that guitar- good luck!

9. EsquireOK

Well, I don't have it yet. It's waiting for pickup at the UPS hub, until I get back from my work trip. But I went ahead and ordered the Bigsby and shim. If I don't put it on this guitar, it'll go on something eventually. Can't wait. In all my years of playing Teles, I've never owned one with a Bigsby or with an S/H pickup setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.