Incoming: '64 RI Bound for Projects

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireOK, Jul 11, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Just snagged this beauty of a 2016 AV '64 RI for a good price. Seems pretty darned sweet and complete. I'm hoping there are no surprises when it shows up.

pfhkhn4rn8gumxypj8b1.jpg

Its body will be stamped and oversprayed in ReRanch Dakota Red sans clear coat, to simulate a Fender factory refin. Then everything from my Page Mirror Tele will go on to the '64 RI body to make it a complete guitar again. Then all the '64's bits will go on to the stock Page body to make it a complete '64 RI again.

Takes care of my biggest nit picks about the Page: its poly-sealed finish, which is ultra white (both things are period incorrect), while also giving me a more vintage-accurate '64 (poly sealer simulating the Fullerplast that would have been used in '64, and a whiter blonde like the '60s Teles had vs. '50s ones). The two different sealer types result in very different styles of break-in/wear way down the road. Yeah, nerd stuff, I know...

In the end, I'll have a unique red Page Mirror Tele, plus a uniquely "more accurate" '64 RI.

The Page can easily go back to stock if needed...but I don't plan on selling anyhow. I didn't buy it for the Page connection. I've just wanted a very accurate repro of a '59/'60 style top-and-rear loader Tele for a long time, and it got me within striking distance of what I had in mind (the signature decal will have to just be overlooked).

Meanwhile, the red Page will be getting a case swap with my AV '58. The Page will get the '58's brown case, and the '58 will get the Page's lacquered tweed case – also more vintage accurate on both counts. Then I will track down a black case for the '64, and just have an extra brown one lying around (not a problem).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

That’s quite a complex upgrade plan! I’d be very tempted to use that 64 as it is.

heffus, elihu, AlbertaGriff and 2 others like this.
  3. EsquireOK

Not too complex. It's just a body swap with an overspray on one of the bodies.

I will be doing the simple body swap first, and saving the refin for later.

Southpole likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice buy. Hope your plan works out and delivers for you.

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice 64, just like mine!
    And cool project indeed.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Right?

7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I'd probably just keep the AV 64 and sell the JP Tele, but I'm biased.

mimmo likes this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Yea I think I'd keep that '64 as-is.....

And buy another one to complete your plan!

:D

TEX

Fretting out, AxemanVR and EsquireOK like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

Take it from me, don't repaint that guitar. If you are looking for a color change, buy a pre painted body from Warmoth. Keep the original "original". You may want to resell it down the road. I have learned the hard way about modifying factory spec Fender gear. Keep it as original as you can. Otherwise, you will destroy the value of it. Those AV Fenders are going to be the next collectables, I just know it.

bumnote, Fretting out and Southpole like this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Your move, but I would keep it stock. However, I wish you luck with the project, and look forward to seeing the results.

11. EsquireOK

Thanks, fellers (and maybe gals).

I am not going to keep the '64 body stock; I only got it to realize this plan. I don't really want two nearly identical looking blonde/rosewood Teles. I would, however, really love a well built, very vintage-accurate Dakota Red '59/'60 style Tele, and a very vintage-accurate blonde mid-'60s style. Styles I love, but I'll likely never be able to afford the real deal (plus I like the brand new look).

Also, remember that in the end the '64 style one will look stock to the casual observer (only it will be more vintage-accurate than stock in terms of finish appearance and composition).

As for re-painting affecting value, I don't buy to resell. And we're talking about a guitar that I got for below market value, and which would be dinged a few hundred bucks, if anything, by a quality overspray in a unique color for the model. If anything will ever get sold, it will be the Page, which will be put back to stock if that happens. Then I'll be left with a Dakota Red '64 RI with all its original parts.

My only concern is whether or not there are any undisclosed problems. Always the case when mail ordering a guitar. It looks super clean and complete, and the price was right, which of course raises doubts until its in my hands.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

I have a 64 AMRI Telecaster. Great guitar. IMHO I would leave it stock.

13. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

Was the the one for sale at TGP? If so that was a great deal

14. EsquireOK

Maybe, but I don't visit that site. I found it on Reverb dot com for $1,250 including tax and shipping (it was $1,345 asking price – already quite fair, but he accepted my offer anyhow, and I'm not complaining). Ever since getting the Page and hatching this plan, I've been stalking AV '64s, so I was ready to pounce when the right one popped up. This is both the cleanest and the cheapest one I'd seen, so I jumped.

Again, it'll look almost the same in the end, with the stock Page body in the original body's place. It'll actually look closer to an original '64 when the '64 was brand new. The poly undercoat prevents sunken grain lines, the paint is whiter, and it doesn't have the blonde burst. Much more '60s looking than the stock bodies on AV '64s, which were more '50s style in terms of paint process (sunken grain lines, yellowed more quickly, more of a blonde burst, etc.). Both guitars will end up as more accurate reissues in the end, and the Page will always be able to be taken back to stock.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I (personally) wouldn't touch that, its lovely as is. Great look to it.

16. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Sell the Page and just play the 64ri as is.

17. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

That was the one ! Killer deal

18. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Sounds cool. Go ahead and spray that thing if you dont care about resale. Dont listen to the naysayers. Dakota red is gonna look great!

19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Gonna try and get a small bit of AV64 mojo with these. Not easy to get anymore.

3286564E-E04F-436F-A968-FCF0DCF4D2F8.jpeg

Stiles likes this.
  20. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

You paid HOW MUCH for the Page Tele!

... and now you are going to butcher 2 guitars to create some Frankenstein?

Well I guess each to their own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.