Incoming! ‘62 Princeton 6g2

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mudman32, Oct 13, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I dont need them. They are Oxfords. 10J4 like the amp may have had. One has a repaired tear in the cone but sounds ok. Not very heavy duty speakers though. $20 + shipping so I suppose $35. Both for $55! Anyway ... no pressure!
    [​IMG]

3. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Pm sent

4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

It’s a little tone monster with my tele! Straight up rockabilly with some slapback and the volume around 6. Hopefully do a recording today.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I love the 5f2 tweed Princeton. How different or alike are a 5f2 & a 6g2?

6. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Completely different circuits. The 6g2 is more similar to the last tweed vibrolux minus the third input.

Wally likes this.
  7. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of photos from this afternoon! First is with my ‘57 avri strat. Been on a trading spree the past month. Not what I typically do, but when you see something like these two, you either act or miss them.

teletimetx, bryan83, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

9. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I took it in to be biased and got some gut shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serviced but not gutted. The filter cap can is original, which is a bit concerning, but the esr’s and other measurements are right on and it’s as quiet as a church mouse. Unless it starts giving me issues, I’m just going to leave it be.

It’s now completely loaded with anos tubes too. Little tone monster. I’m tempted to nickname it gremlin, but I don’t want any issues, lol.

uriah1 likes this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Beautiful amp. Gorgeous.

One that nice would make me want to do the smartest possible restoration. *Opinions* vary on this, and I'm no expert, but I was under the impression "ESR and other testing" doesn't necessarily rule out a filter cap that might fail or sound bad in actual use. Smarter folks will know more.

11. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

It sounds fantastic and has little to no noise. No signs of bulging to the cap can either.

King Fan likes this.
  12. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Seriously, I'm genuinely not trying to make you question your decision. :)

You see tons of arguments on both sides of this, and *opinions* about 'I always change e-caps no matter what' or 'I never replace a working part* are all too common. The 'by-the-book' crowd can be too cautious, and the 'seat-of-the-pants' crowd can be too casual, and it's often almost impossible to know the best actual choice.

I always say *information* can never hurt us. As an example, I've seen lots of threads showing failed caps that weren't bulging or leaking (and of course inside a can you won't see the bulging or leaking). Still, sounds great + ESR and other testing may be a fine test of function -- I don't know, so by all means don't let me change your thinking. I was just curious to see if folks with more experience and actual information had any thoughts.

13. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I generally do too, and probably will in the future, but right now it’s working great. If it was paper caps, I’d change them asap. I’ve found the cap cans to last better.

King Fan likes this.
  14. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, cap cans usually last a bit longer than individual caps. I would say 25 years is the limit, for my liking. The cost of a new can ($40) well outweighs the risk of problems in the near future. Perhaps the original owner never used it to gig or pushed the amp with pedals; something you may intend to do.

I had an Ampeg Gemini I here a while back that sounded "weak". The first node voltage was 280v, almost 100V lower than what it would normally be. Crossing a single 80uf cap to the first section of the can brought up the voltage to schematic values of 365v. It sounded great after servicing with a new cap can and all the electrolytics replaced.

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I finally replaced the Astron in my '62 Princeton last weekend. Frankly, I wasn't playing it much because it wasn't done. Took voltages before and after, played it before and after, and I can tell no difference. At least it's done.

16. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Yep, that’s why I haven’t bothered. All the voltages are correct and present

17. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

I don’t think it is possible to check ESR without lifting the grounds , I be suspect , I changed the cap can , it seems to have much better bass response.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.