Incognito?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by watercaster, Apr 9, 2015.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you in a band? Are you playing more than two hours a night because you're working on songs for the band, or is it for personal enjoyment?

Maybe you prefer to play guitar rather than spend time with your wife and it's starting to bother her.

Have you tried talking to your wife about it, or would you rather just find ways to deceive her?

2. Telemarx

Telemarx Tele-Meister

I go for the total opposite of sneaky when it comes to gear... Instead of trying to get something past her, I tend make make a big fuss about it. Heck, I probably bore the gazoo of her with facts and history no non player will ever care about, and then I'll show her some pics and even review clips if I can get her to sit still for long enough to watch them...
    And she's never complained, not once. I reckon that it must be because she sees that I get all excited about it and it makes me happy to buy, swop and sell stuff - so she's cool with it. And it just makes me love her even more.

3. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

If you call your wife your biscuit roller, then you have problems! :lol:

4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Give her $10 and send her out shopping. Set the new guitar next to a couple of old ones. Just tell her you've had it for a while if she asks. That ain't lyin'.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

One in, one out.

It also helps that my wife plays the flute. Her two instruments are worth more than my entire collection of guitars, both acoustic and electric, and I made it a point to support her when she wanted to get them. Now if that only worked on my daughter - she still does the whole "another guitar?" thing.

Seriously, though. Don't hide this kind of stuff from her. Bad juju.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Official TDPRI member response:

Show your wife this pic and tell her that your goal is to BEAT Joe at acquiring guitars. Bonus points for asking her: So do you wanna be on the team, or would you rather hit the road?

Actual TDPRI member response:

Yes dear, I'll get rid of all my guitars and buy you all the shoes you'll ever want with the money. Can I pretty please keep just one? Pretty please with sugar on it?

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife wants to buy a baby grand. I've been making noises about the expense but the leetle voice in my mind is saying, "Oh yeah! That Dreadnought is going to be mine someday!"

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wait a second. You actually hand your wife $10 and send her out shopping? I think I know who you are!

[​IMG]

9. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I'm not in favor of being sneaky with spouses. It's a bad pattern to get into. But then, my wife handles all our finances, so I can't get away with anything except what I do with my music income (it's not much--I only gig once or twice a month, for not much pay). We discuss every purchase over a certain amount of money.

Some in this thread suggest that it's not manly to be open and discuss things in advance. I don't see it that way. My wife and I share finances. We don't have a lot of extra money after the bills and savings. We owe it to each other to talk about what we do with that extra money. I expect it from her and she expects it from me. Being a man is not doing everything you want; first, being a man is keeping your promises, and being honest and loyal.

10. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I am able to keep much of my gas acquisitions in my office at work. I can just rotate them occasionally at home. As for the money, we have different checking accounts.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Give her 12 pictures of your guitars. For me it would be the same guitar 12 times. It would just add to the conversation.

"is that a new guitar?"
    "Look at the pictures"
    "I don't see it"
    "Look again"
    "I still don't see it"
    "Look I have 12 guitars, I gave you 12 pictures, why don't you have it?"

12. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think learning hypnosis should do the trick.

13. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Something seemed off when I read the original post (2 hours a night, 12 guitars the average) and you helped me put my finger on it. Either
    a. the original post is b.s. and OP is just funnin' us, or
    b. his marriage is in deep trouble and/because he's ignoring his wife (in which case while he stays home to play she might decide to go out and play, too).

I hope it's option a.

Michael Corleone.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah, the upside of singularity!
    Now I only answer to the IRS and the fuzz!:rolleyes:;):lol:

15. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Separation and divorce is a boon to my GAS! Though I would not recommend it just to buy more stuff...

Things I've bought since we split:

Stratocaster parts
    Telecaster parts
    Amplifier parts
    Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat
    Fender Baja Tele
    Epiphone 339

I've been very busy!

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

This 100% works for me.

She manages the budget and keeps a guitar/music fund aside and never asks for gig money or work bonuses although I generally put at least half of any extra income to the family's fun fund first.

She knows I have a hobby but encourages it as much as I would encourage hers, which is books and talking about them - her book shelves fill most of the rooms I just get the staircase for mine.

Selfish and sneaky not something that I'd get away with.

With planning we can often get a second hand book shop/guitar shop combo organised.

17. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Here's how it goes in chez Skub.

Skub to Mrs.Skub.."whaddya think of this one,it's a suprise birthday present from me to me"? Mrs.Skub replies,"It's a bit sad making yer own birthday pressy,still,nice grain".

[​IMG]

Result. :lol:

18. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

Why would you seek advice on how to do something that you know will upset your partner?

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe have the conversation before hand? Talk about it making sure she understands and accepts your need for guitars. And make sure the money spent isn't depriving the both of you of needed essencials.

My sweetie likes that I collect music gear rather then guns or cars or other women.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Quit your job, and be a musician for a living. Then you can just say "but honey, I need it for work!".

It's been working for me for twenty years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.