Inbound: Zach Hoyt Banjo!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ukepicker, Apr 27, 2021.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I finally pulled the trigger on this banjo!

I had an old silvertone banjo years ago that I enjoyed, but it was really difficult to set up/maintain. And I struggled keeping it (and playing it) in tune.

Last year, I got married and we moved to this beautiful little subdivision overlooking the east Texas woods. A 15-mile vista! My wife went to college in Nashville and the place reminded her of Tennessee.

She said, "You could sit out here with your guitar and write songs!"

But the place reminded me of my short time living in Arkansas. So I said, "Heck, no. I'm buying overalls, a banjo and building a still!"

Stills are illegal here, but banjos aren't (yet)!

As for the builder - I heard about Zach through this forum and my research took me to Craig Evans' old time conversations interview. Zach has a great reputation as a quality builder. And I really like his simple, elegant aesthetic.

I also find that I typically prefer mahogany instruments. And rosewood fingerboards. And I really like the look of the brass hardware and fretboard markers. And a tru-oil finish, to boot! All of my favorite appointments.

I hope to see it arrive either this week or next and will post a review when possible.

Thank you to @ToddinTX and @trapdoor2 and everyone else who shared valuable advice in my earlier thread.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is going to be a keeper, I suspect!

I like mahogany too. The video's sound seems thin...but totally and easily changeable. I would start with a set of D'addario J55 mediums...and 6 different bridges.;)

When you want to go nylon, see if Joel Hooks has any 5/8" bridges on hand (his named bridge or the Morely). I'll have to edit in a link to his website.

https://www.banjothimble.com/shop/historical-banjo-bridges.html

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    ukepicker likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I suspect it will be a keeper, too. I think his video clips are just quick snapshots with a phone. There are several ZH built banjos on youtube and they all sound great.

Most banjos I play aren't very musical. But several years ago, there was a Gretsch banjo at the local shop that sounded VERY compelling. I didn't buy it and have kicked myself ever since. I've even sought out the same model, but none sounded half as good.

And I know Zach's work will be MUCH better than any factory-born import.

He and I talked about the possibility of nylon. The switch(on his instruments) only requires a different 5th string nut. And occasionally a new bridge height. So . . . he will be sending an extra 5th string nut for the nylon and a couple of different height bridges.

But I expect it will be an inspiring instrument right out of the box.

Thanks for your help!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.