1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Inappropriate guitar for Church use?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by 985plowboy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Huxley

Huxley TDPRI Member

Play away! The devil doesn't have horns anyways, in fact a more accurate depiction of a 'devilish' guitar would be one that appears to be the most beautiful of all guitars.

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Truth!

3. jon@home

[email protected] TDPRI Member

So basically a Tele! I'll burn mine at the stake tonight!

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

We all know what a SG looks like, and you know those BC Rich guitars. Hamer made a Diablo that's a bad call. ALL WORSHIP GUITARS SHALL BE BRAND NEW SNOW WHITE IN COLOR, THEY SHALL BE VIRGIN'S FREE AND NEVER TOUCHED BY THE EVIL ROCK AND ROLL OR MUSIC THAT WOULD CAUSE ANY MOVEMENT IN THE HIP'S FEET. THEY SHALL BE AS BORING AS THEY CAN BE, YOUR MUSIC SHALL CAUSE MANY TO FALL ASLEEP IN BORDOM. BUT AS FOR ME AND MY HOUSE I SHALL PLAY WHAT I GOT, AND THINK THE THE LORD THY GOD FOR WHAT I HAVE. I WILL RUN AND JUMP AS THE SPIRIT LEADS I WILL REJOICE IN THE SALVATION OF THE LORD. I WILL LIFT HIM UP BEFORE MAN, BECAUSE IF I DO NOT THE ROCKS WILL. GOD HAS NOT THAT I KNOW OF A TOP 40 SONG LIST NOR DO I KNOW OF A CERTAIN GUITAR HE LIKES OVER ANOTHER. THEREFORE I SAY IF THOU GUITAR DOE'S NOT PROMOTE SATAN, THEN USE IT TO PLAY WORSHIP DUDE'S AND DUDETTE'S. CAUSE THIS O BOY DON'T CARE I JUST CAME TO WORSHIP GOD. JUST THOUGHT I GIVE GUY'S A SMILE.

5. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

The Schecter Hellraiser comes in gloss white. But if I play one I can't promise that my "hip's feet" won't be moving...

On a totally unrelated note (and way out of scope of this thread), based on the smoke smell and beer stains on the grill cloth, my amp spent most of it's early days in a bar. I bought it and cleaned it up, but it still has its, let's just call it, original mojo. That definitely aint no virgin. Thank You Lord for grace!

6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Redemption is BEAUTIFUL thing.

7. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

I've literally played every single one of my guitars in church over the years.

[​IMG]

8. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Yes it is and I was one who no one thought would ever straighten up much less work in worship at Church.
    One of the best amps I ever owned and used for nothing but worship came with this when I bought it from an ol boy named BRAD.

[​IMG]
    Used it on these sessions.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7804039

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

I thought that was from a catalog. Great collection, btw :)

10. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I too use a thunderbird bass at church, I have never gotten any complaints on its looks, as a matter of fact, a couple people gave compliments on it! It doesnt matter what the guitar looks like, as long as you can play it and make it sound good.

11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

That's cool! I love those kinds of stories. I have a Marshall 4x12 slant cab that I use at church occasionally that supposedly was used to record "Rockstar" by Smash Mouth. I bought it from a guy who was friends with the band. Don't know if it's true, and it doesn't really matter because nobody remembers them anyway……..

12. in_motion

in_motion TDPRI Member

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. (1 Corinthians 10:23, 24 NASB)

It comes down to not causing someone to stumble by distracting from your true purpose, to glorify God. Whether that distraction is someone questioning your salvation because of the guitar you're playing, or distracted by just how flipping awesome looking your guitar is, you as a leader are not doing your job which is to be leading them into the presence of God.

Just know your congregation. I know mine is very conservative, so I'm not going to bring my bestickered ESP for Sunday morning service. Even if there is one person who would be focused on the guitar rather than the song, leave that guitar at home.

$.02 :)

13. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

beautiful family shot.

Does that Hamer in the upper right pic have p-90's? I'd love to have one like that to go with my Echotone. :cool:

14. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Read Psalm 150, and you'll know that no one should care what an instrument looks like, as long as you are praising the Lord. If someone, including pastors, deacons, deaconesses or the janitor complains, please quote this passage in verse 6.

Play on!

15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I once owned these and played every one at Church at some point.
    [​IMG]
    Heck I even played this one a couple times in Worship.
    [​IMG]
    Note the SN!
    [​IMG]
    This particular guitar was the 2000 NAMM booth piece for the model introduction. This one was not really a production guitar but a real hand made late prototype note the 002 SN. It was perfection to look at from a material and workmanship stand point and sounded AMAZING! Just worth a good bit of $$ and with all the points so fragile it stayed in the case most of the time.
    [​IMG]

16. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand why any gtr would NOT be appropriate for a place of worship...
    unless it has obscenities or X rated things on it.

???

17. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Sorry to be late to the thread, but ... this is a joke, right ? I mean, please tell me that no one, least of all Jesus , gives two rips whether someone uses a red guitar with "horns,"to do the job.

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Not a joke. Thanks for weighing in.

19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

New band

Well it's been a few months since we moved to a much bigger city and therefore a much bigger church. It didn't take long before it got out I play guitar. I always figured my skills were just so-so. well after the first service I played with the worship team I had people every sunday telling me They wish I could play every sunday. I play about once a month. Even a 10-12 year old kid high fived me when he saw me. This went on for weeks...it 's still happening. It just blows me away. The first sunday I played the worship leader just told me to rock it during a certain portion of a song so I lit it up and have since been given free reign when I play. I'm now putting together an outreach band to play good christian based music around town when the opportunity arrives......Last nite at practice we finally hit it.....we sounded good!......I'm dazed and amazed!!!

:eek:

ooops thought I started a new thread....sorry not trying to hijack here!!

20. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

These?

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.